1/2 Latte Amps- 222, PMPS- 189

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by carolynandlatte, Jan 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. carolynandlatte

carolynandlatte Well-Known Member

yesterday:
    viewtopic.php?f=9&t=748

pm recap (pred cycle)-
    pmps- 246
    +4- 343
    +5- 333 (usually an indicator if I want to stay up to see a drop at six or if I should just go to bed. Wuz on the fence last night, so I stayed up.)
    +6- 230

Latte ate almost all wet yesterday, and just a little kibble overnight. I hope she is going back to her wet phase. I flip flopped her bfast and dinner options yesterday and this morning,which I think has helped (am- was wellness turkey, pm- fancy feast or wellness variety). She has eaten very well both a.m.'s and last night. She had been peetering out quite a bit over the last week. I thought it was worth a try.

I was going to cancel vet appt this a.m. because I had not seen her eat litter the last few days. But Latte decided she would much prefer going to see Dr. J by chowing down on the rocks. The minimum we will do is a cbc to test for anemia. May do a full renal panel, as well. I am also going to show him what little video I have of Latte doing her choking thing. Unfortunately its all tail end, so most of it looks like a nauseated cat.

Latte has been very bright, playful, talkative, and social the last few days. Letting her sleep a little more might be helping with that! ;) All p's for the last few days seem to be in place.

To Lighten the Mood in my Condo, a little story:
    When Latte was a kitten, we would throw wadded up paper and this little 'rubber man' that sticks on the top of a pencil down the stairs. As long as we didnt watch, she would run down, get it then bring it up and drop it at our feet. Silly thing thought she was a dog, I guess! So this rubber man, has wiggly arms, and is quite charming. Ive bought a few more over the years, but the original is always her favorite. Usually I find them under the couch, bed, etc a few times/year and throw them out until she loses them again. I found the original (yes- 17yrs old!) the other day and threw it in the middle of the floor somewhere. She apparently found it last night and got curious. As I was making dinner, Latte walked into the kitchen, rubber man in her mouth and dropped it at my feet. :mrgreen: I busted out it laughter and tears at the same time. It's those little things she does that shows me how much she still wants to be here, and that all the decisions I have made along the way were totally worth it.

2. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

Re: 1/2 Latte Amps- 222

I am just loving this sunshiny day!

Hope you are feeling lots better today, Latte.

It was great chatting with you yesterday, Carolyn.

3. WCF and Meowzi

WCF and Meowzi Well-Known Member

Just a thought - if anemia is the sole concern, would a PCV run in-house be much cheaper than an entire CBC sent out? But then a full renal panel (I actually prefer the Antech Superchem) and CBC is always a good idea if she hasn't had one done in some time.

Cute story, made me smile :)

4. Amy and Six

Amy and Six Well-Known Member

Good luck at the vets today. The "rubber man" story brought tears of happiness to my own eyes. Thanks for sharing. Latte, keep those numbers moving down!

5. carolynandlatte

Re: 1/2 Latte Amps- 222, +2.25- 150

Not the typical drop she likes to show in the a.m., which makes me wonder if it was NOT the cartridge, but her. I guess we will see if she starts rising early again or not. She usually eats wellness turkey for bfast, but the last 2 a.m.'s have been ff c/l. She was actually on her 2nd can by +2, which is WAAAAAAAAAy more than usual. I will have to go look and see of ff has more carbs than the wellness. If that is the case, and the less dramatic drop is due to the food, then I may want to consider making a habit of feeding it in the a.m. instead of wellness.

Yes, an in house would be fine and all I may do. Its dependant upon cost. Her vet and I usually discuss the best option before a final decision and tests are taken. Last FULL renal panel was done in May I believe. Last creatinine check in October when she had the bad reaction to leukeran. Wanted to rule out a kidney crash. My thoughts on the renal panel is that *if* she is anemic, it is likely (tho not absolutely) due to kidneys. In that case I would like to see where we stand.

Im going to have to start warming up my car now, so she doesnt freeze on the ride over, LOL. Sooooo cold out!

6. carolynandlatte

Re: 1/2 Latte Amps- 222, +2.25- 150, +3.25- 179

Gosh Darn it!!!!!!!!!!!! :x :cry:
    It was NOT the cartridge, it is HER!

Unless someone can give me an explanation that makes sense as to WHY I should not increase tonight, considering I will not be able to monitor an increase for another week or two, then I am going to bring her up to a 1.75 tonight. I just dont understand why she takes a little dip and then starts going back up just when the insulin *should* be setting in?!

We are off to the vet. I will talk with him about it as well.

7. Amy'sWinston (GA)

Amy'sWinston (GA) Member

Well that's a good WCR today! Loved the story,,,

Now Latte, Princess... go play in the lovely blue pool and let go of these high numbers girl. In this game - you don't want the high score! :lol:

Good luck at the vet! Call me when you get back.

8. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

I hope the vet visit goes well for Latte; stay warm out there!

9. Linda and Bear Man

Linda and Bear Man Well-Known Member

Good luck at the vet! I got teary eyed reading the rubber man story.

10. Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA)

Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

That was such a sweet story....loved it!
    (Shadow as throwing around the meter this morning so I liked your story much more... :D )
    Good luck at the vet today...know you will update for sure...

11. carolynandlatte

Re: 1/2 Latte Amps- 222, +5.5- 79 and Vet Update

I swear, this cat has been brought to me to drive me completely manic OR she is trying to teach me how to be less reactive and influenced by 'good' and 'bad'...because there is no 'good' or 'bad', there just 'is'.

I was aiming for a 6, but wanted to get out and run errands. Didnt think it would matter because I expected her in the 200's by now. Guess I will be doing errands later. Good thing there is plenty of laundry to be done.

Vet Visit:

1. PCV- 34% Lower end of normal, but not anemic.

2. Renal Panel done since we have not had one since mid may. Get results on Monday. Considering her pcv, Im sure renal values are not bad.

3. Choking/Gagging issue - After piecing together my video and a few he dug up on other cats through VIN, he suspects she could have some rare condition which was mentioned on my post over in health (cant remember the name of it). Only solution, once diagnosis is confirmed, would be surgery. That is obviously not an option. He wants me to really pay attention to what she is doing just prior to the episodes. I guess most cats with the disease have it triggered from purring. In one video the poor cat was bad enough that when it purred it had to do so with mouth open in order to breath. *sigh* I dont even know what to think about all this.

4. He reviewed her ss and guidelines both followed on the website and that he follows. He disagreed with raising the dose based on that, and considering she has only had a few higher number days. He said she was eating more (she has gained more weight since last visit a week or two ago - now at her highest 9.4 or 9.6, cant remember) which could be contributing to it. He made it clear that he never expected her to do this well on a steroid and that most cats NOT on steroids dont do as well as she is. I brought the old pen in and he was very interested in how I was using it. Thought it was a great alternative to the vials. Funny, teaching the vet. So glad he is interested and open to learning.

Overall...considering all her conditions she is the healthiest looking/acting 17yr old cat he has ever seen. Higher BG's (which again, he does not think are terribly high) and risk of infection are much better than a cat that is losing weight, not eating and vomiting. He is right, I know. Why do I demand so much perfection?

Now that she is eating...AGAIN, I expect I should do another test in a short while here to see how much further she's going to go.

12. Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA)

Re: 1/2 Latte Amps- 222, +5.5- 79

Great post Carolyn...very interesting. I am so happy that your vet is so open to all things...that's
    so great that you brought the old pen..how smart are YOU! :D
    so, that means you have to watch her ALL the time since you never know when she is going to DO it, so
    how ccn you know what she did before unless you plant yourself next to her all day long...12/7 right?
    shall we deliver food to you both? hmmmm...now I am wondering if you are really contemplating the feasibility
    of doing just that... :lol:

Thanks for the heads up about the +5 BGs....what other kitties do you have on the Moon Kitty List?
    We really should know who we are, no? LOL
    (Shad was only at 176...the Moon King is the last to leave, no? Or was that the Captain is the last to leave the
    sin king ship...er...no, the Captain goes down with the ship...oh heck...no matter what, "Major Tom" is only
    approaching Earth's atmosphere now...he's a little behind the others....fiddling with his Jacques Cousteau name tag
    and tank I think)

13. carolynandlatte

Re: 1/2 Latte Amps- 222, +5.5- 79, +6.5- 66

Ate some kibble and finished off the other 1/2 can of wet she left from b'fast in the last hour.

Not nervous, just baffled.

14. carolynandlatte

Re: 1/2 Latte Amps- 222, +5.5- 79, +7.75- 58

Whoa doggie!!!! (I mean, kitty)

She is very curious and puzzled with the piles of laundry covering the LR floor. Get her some exercise to try and climb all over them.

15. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Re: 1/2 Latte Amps- 222, +5.5- 79, +7.75- 58

Very sweet story. Seeing those old behaviors come back and knowing that Latte knew that you were watching and waiting for her to want to play does indeed make it all worthwhile.

The vet visit did sound reassuring. Did he have any thoughts about why Latte has developed a taste for litter?

As for her numbers, I recall a bean who was previously terrified of double digits and was wanting her kitty to stay in the 200s. You are handling these numbers exceptionally well. Latte does seem to spend more time in lower numbers during the AM cycle.

My explanation for suggesting you stay at this dose is that string of green numbers!!!!! Also, that little dip is probably meter variance. Keep in mind that the nadir is not, by necessity, at exactly mid-cycle. It may shift on any given day.

16. Cassandra and Sasha

Cassandra and Sasha Well-Known Member

Re: 1/2 Latte Amps- 222, +5.5- 79, +6.5- 66

Vet stress can make them go up or down. You know I've shown before how Sasha can drop like crazy after a blood draw. See how the next couple of cycles play out.

Adorable story. Make me :D .

17. carolynandlatte

Re: 1/2 Latte Amps- 222, +9-54 Question for PM

Uh, ya...kind of feel like a fool here. Complaining about her higher numbers, pressing all of you and vet for an increase, and now this. Im not complaining! Promise! :mrgreen: But I am a little concerned as we approach the final hrs before pmps. I know anything can happen between now and then. But wondering if there might be someone around to guide us if we are still low? Also wondering, should I feed some food now...if she will eat? She has had more than enough to eat already today. But, if it would be a good idea to get more in her now I could try. Or wait until shot time so she will hopefully be hungry?

Thanks!

18. Cassandra and Sasha

Cassandra and Sasha Well-Known Member

Re: 1/2 Latte Amps- 222, +7.75- 58, +9- 54 (questions for pm)

If she hasn't eaten and is hungry, then there is no problem giving her a little to eat. Maybe just a nice snackus so that she is still kind of hungry for dinner.

One of us should be around then. Is it at 6 CST?

19. carolynandlatte

Re: 1/2 Latte Amps- 222, +7.75- 58, +9- 54 (questions for pm)

Ya, she just filled herself up with a lot of water after jumping off her throne and walking around licking her lips. I thought she was preparing to vomit. Im guessing she is not hungry. She is just quiet and has decided to hole herself up in the bathroom for some reason. I forgot, she ate kibble at 11:30, so a spike should be coming anytime. It may wear off by pmps, though.

And yes, I can get her ps at 6 central. I will probably keep testing on the hr. Sure was not in the plans for the day. At least Im getting some good laundry done. :D

20. Amy'sWinston (GA)

Amy'sWinston (GA) Member

Re: 1/2 Latte Amps- 222, +7.75- 58, +9- 54

all I have to say is....

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

21. Libby and Lucy

Libby and Lucy Senior Member Moderator

Re: 1/2 Latte Amps- 222, +2.25- 150, +3.25- 179

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm not laughing at you, I'm just laughing because I think this is the 3rd condo today where I have seen this exact thing, a bean threatening an increase and the cat running down to green. And I haven't even been to very many condos yet today!

I'll look at your spreadsheet now.

22. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

Re: 1/2 Latte Amps- 222, +7.75- 58, +9- 54

Aw geez, nobody told me that's what you have to do to get better numbers!

I need to threaten Shadoe with a dose change but I have been buying her fancy toys and treats!

Ah live and learn I guess.

What awesome numbers there Latte! Can you have a word with Shadoe please?

23. carolynandlatte

Re: 1/2 Latte Amps- 222, +10- 88, +11- 110

You can laugh at me all you want. I totally deserve it and am quite okay with it, too. Even latte is laughing.

Im sure some of this is a rise, but some of it is kibble spike @ +5 from eating. Spikes seem to wear off in about 2hrs. So she may or may not drop. Im okay with shooting the 110, because she has kibble on board. If it were morning I might be shaking a bit.

I better update that ss :roll:

24. carolynandlatte

Re: 1/2 Latte Amps- 222, PMPS- 189

Refused pred (comes in treat form) and i have no idea why. Had to pill and I have NEVER had to fight her so hard. I can only hope she got it all in her. It brought me to tears as much as it did her (if she had tears) :sad:

She bounced quickly, thats not just a kibble spike for sure. I thought she was done with bouncing around. I dont think she is feeling very well from it . If they get out of the lower numbers for just a bit, does the liver forget?!?!?! :?:

Thanks for watching out for us. Sorry she couldnt give you more drama today. :lol: Though I suppose the day is not over.

Ive got to run out for a few hours. I should be back by a +4. Im guessing she will be just fine....and thrilled for poke break.

25. WCF and Meowzi

WCF and Meowzi Well-Known Member

Re: 1/2 Latte Amps- 222, PMPS- 189

in our experience, yes :(

26. Nina and KB

Nina and KB Well-Known Member

Just stopping by to see how you and Latte were doing today. Wow. I loved the story about her toy. Those seemedly little things can bring out alot of emotions when they happen.

27. carolynandlatte

Re: 1/2 Latte Amps- 222, PMPS- 189, +4- 228

I may stay up to see her +6 drop. Last night it was 100 pts! I would be please if it were anything between 32.4 - 99.8

Whats this? I leave for a few hours and there are all these crazy cats on my screen!

dancing_cat cat_pet black_cat

28. Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA)

cat_pet Now, if that was a MOON,, I'd say that the kitty sure does look a lot like Shadow....the Moon King...
    but it's a yellow smiley....

Wondering how your night will go....sending good wishes to you....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.