1/20 Maggie AMPS=127, +2=145, +3=104, PMPS=135, +3=108

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Alicia & Maggie (GA), Jan 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alicia & Maggie (GA)

Alicia & Maggie (GA) Well-Known Member

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/1-19-maggie-amps-131-2-141-5-106-pmps-136-2-128.189846/

I think the cerenia shot was doing more for the nausea than I realized. She started licking her lips again yesterday morning and wouldn't finish her food. In the PM I put a small sliver of cyproheptadine in her pills capsule and I changed to Merrick Duck food. She ate well last night, so she got cypro again this AM.
    And the big news, she pooed last night! Yay!
    Vines for all kitties and beans in need. :bighug:

2. LizzieInTexas

LizzieInTexas Well-Known Member

Oh Maggie, you just can't give up those blue starts :cool:.

Glad the Cerenia helped. Do you have any of the pills to give her?

What is the phosphorus count on the Merrick Duck?

Alicia & Maggie (GA) likes this.
  3. Alicia & Maggie (GA)

No, I didn't get any Cerenia pills, but I'm going to ask for some. I was surprised at how expensive they are (about $5 a pill online). The phos. on the Merrick duck is .8 according to a food list on Tanya's.

4. LizzieInTexas

Yeah, they are kinda pricey. I read a trick over on the ckd forums - put the pill in the freezer for 10 min before trying to split it. Also invest in a good pill cutter ($5)

You can get pills that are stronger strength but it is getting them cut into the correct dosing that is more difficult but they are more economical. 16mg, 24mg, 60mg, 160mg.

My vet has the best pricing in my research (your mileage may vary :D)

5. Christie & Maverick

Christie & Maverick Well-Known Member

Good job eating your duckie, Maggie :p. I find changing the meat helps with my civvie, not so much with Mav, he usually eats whatever I serve up (anti-jinx). Glad Maggie is doing well today :):cat:

6. Stacy & Asia

Stacy & Asia Well-Known Member

Glad the cenrenia is helping, it’s done a good job for Asia as well. I prefer human meds for that reason, you can get them at a pharmacy so at least you can shop around for a decent price. I have no clue what the vial of injectable Cerenia is going to cost me, but I’d rather have it on hand should this ever happen again. I’m imagining it’s expensive. :facepalm:

Keep eating and feeling better sweet Maggie! :cat:

7. Judy and Boomer

Judy and Boomer Well-Known Member

We have cerenia for Allen. It can be given every day but his starting dose was 1/2 tablet every 3 days. We did eventually change that to 1/2 tablet every 2 days but now he is off it completely although we do keep some on hand.

YAY for poop!

8. Beenie (GA)

Beenie (GA) Well-Known Member

:bighug:Glad she's feeling better!

9. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Yay for poop. I'm glad the cypro seems to be helping her eat. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

10. MyTitan (GA)

MyTitan (GA) Well-Known Member

Yay for input and output.

11. Alicia & Maggie (GA)

Thanks for the tips!

That's great! What dosage and frequency did you vet prescribe? I'm wondering if the injection works longer than the pill or if they are the same.
    I agree it's better to have something like this on hand instead of having to scramble. I don't want to spoil the surprise :rolleyes:, but I vaguely remember seeing a price of around $150 for a vial, but I don't remember the size, so it may be more economical than the pills.

Good to know, thanks!

LOL Hear, hear! :D

Last edited: Jan 20, 2018
  12. Stacy & Asia

Stacy & Asia Well-Known Member

I don’t know the dose or frequency yet, he ordered it for me and I will pick it up at his office because we don’t live in a doorman building, will let you know when I do.

That price isn’t horrible depending on the expiry and how long it keeps after being used. If it has a decent shelf life, that’s reasonable enough, but if it has to be tossed in 30 days or something, not worth it at all.

Not sure if shots vs pills last longer, but for sure the shots start to work faster and that’s a plus.

13. Myagi (GA) and Heidi

Myagi (GA) and Heidi Well-Known Member

:bighug::bighug::):) glad Maggie is having a good day!

14. LizzieInTexas

Last edited: Jan 20, 2018
  15. Alicia & Maggie (GA)

If you do please let me know the cost. That's a good idea. Would you believe we do not have a Costco in the OKC area? Tulsa is the closest, 2 hrs. away.

16. Tasha & Darwin

Tasha & Darwin Well-Known Member

If it's brand-name Cerenia injectable then it does not have to be tossed at 30 days. We keep it at work, and it's one that we can use until the last drop (unlike Convenia, and many other injectable meds). It does have to be refrigerated, and can sting a bit on injection (however it seems to be moreso in dogs than cats).

We often have it compounded for clients at the vet clinic I work for - especially cats as many people prefer liquid to pills. Maropitant is the drug name, and our compounding pharmacy (Diamondback Drugs) can compound in any strength.

17. Tasha & Darwin

Tasha & Darwin Well-Known Member

Also, wanted to say I am so glad to hear Maggie is holding steady, and that she finally pooed! Yay! Sending continued appy vines, and hoping she keeps a good appetite! :bighug::cat::bighug:

18. Alicia & Maggie (GA)

Wondering if I should do a dosecrease to .1 tomorrow AM or just sit tight, knowing she is in healing numbers. What would you do if she were your kitty? Doesn't look like she is going to self-correct soon. She still has two days of antibiotics left and then we have to wait a few days before doing a new blood test to see if the ALT has lowered.

19. Steph & Quintus & L & O

Steph & Quintus & L & O Well-Known Member

If this were my kitty I'd sit tight, being of the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" persuasion, and as you say, these are decent numbers.

20. LizzieInTexas

Wonderful to know! Thank you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.