1.20 Rufus AMPS 513 and possible fs

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Sean & Rufus, Jan 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sean & Rufus

Sean & Rufus Well-Known Member

So the plan was to get lots of data today, but I think he got a fur shot :( This new pack of syringes suck and they don't go in too smooth. Anyways poke him a couple times and he was like wth? So finally felt it break the skin and go in, but I can totally smell it on him. Usually I don't smell him or try to sniff him but he was laying next to me. So not sure if he got any or all of his dose ugh.

2. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Unfortunately fur shots happen. Just make sure you don't shoot again in case some insulin got in. Try not to be hard on yourself. I once gave three fur shots in a row. I'd still get a couple of tests in today just in case some insulin got in.

Sean & Rufus likes this.
  3. Sandy and Black Kitty

Sandy and Black Kitty Well-Known Member

Fur shots happen. Unfortunately they also reset your consecutive cycle count.
    From yesterday’s condo-
    Right now you are missing half the picture.
    hold your dose for now and focus on finding out what’s going on with his BG during the times you aren’t looking.

Always get a test before you shoot - for safety sake. Have plenty of test strips on hand and a supply of HC food should you need to steer numbers up.
    Get at least one mid cycle test in for each cycle ; if you can grab more tests all the better. In this way a truer picture of where this dose is taking him will emerge.
    If you can string together 6-8 cycles at 4.5u you will know which way the dose should go.

The numbers will be your guide.

Gill & George and Sean & Rufus like this.
  4. Sean & Rufus

5. Sean & Rufus

A cycle is a day, right? Sorry, I should know that by now. Just got 50 more Alpha Trak test strips in the mail today! So it sounds like you're saying if we are on a dose for a least a week, and the numbers still aren't right, we would know that he isn't getting TOO much insulin, correct?

6. MJW

MJW Well-Known Member

A cycle is 12 hours, the time between shots.

Sean & Rufus likes this.
  7. Sandy and Black Kitty

A cycle is 12 hours; AMPS is one cycle, PMPS is another.

No, what I’m saying is plan on holding the dose for 6-8 cycles, which is 3-4 days. If, with frequent testing (enough that there are no wide open spaces of white when you step back and look at your ss) you catch a 68 or lower on the AT or a 50 or lower on a human meter then you know a reduction is in order.

Sean & Rufus likes this.
  8. Sean & Rufus

Totally understand now. Thank you. Another question please. If a fructosamine comes back in mid to high 400's and "poor" would that be indication that doses are not too high?

9. Sandy and Black Kitty

Truthfully, IMHO, fructosamine panels are a waste of money. Home testing, according to the TR protocol or the SLGS guidelines gives a far more accurate picture.

SMM likes this.
  10. SMM

SMM Member

Don't be too sure it was a FS. For some strange reason, sometimes I smell the insulin on Martini when I definitely know I have done the shot right. I think I've seen a few others here who have experienced this also.

11. Sean & Rufus

Understandable. I brought up that this site recommends lower dose increases and that possibly we missed a good dose to my vet and she said, "no he's still not getting enough because his fructosamine came back high 400's and poor". So if we had missed a good dose, and he's getting too much, he for sure would have those super low numbers at some point scattered in the home tests?

12. Sean & Rufus

Yeah, I'm going to go do a test now. I was thinking since his dose is so "large" that maybe that I just smell it sitting under his skin?

13. SMM

SMM Member

I don't know about the large part, 4.5 isn't that much compared to others here. I think maybe? a bit 'leaks' out or there was a tiny drop left when the needle is pulled out, that stuff has a powerful smell even with a tiny drop!

14. Sean & Rufus

Ok. Think it was a fur shot. His # was 607 :( So weird as I felt it break the skin and I didn't pull it out to quick.

15. Juliet

Juliet Guest

Sean & Rufus likes this.
  16. Juliet

Juliet Guest

IF following TR - if following SLGS then a reduction is earned immediately you see 90 on a human meter. Sean has not decided on a protocol as yet.

17. Juliet

Juliet Guest

Not necessarily. Getting too much insulin can mean staying in high numbers. But you don't know the full picture yet as @Sandy and Black Kitty says. You need much more data to know what is going on.

18. Sean & Rufus

See this is what confuses me. If I see high(er) numbers and insulin dose stays the same , how would I know that he's getting too much insulin and that it's not that he's not getting enough. As of right now, with the little data I have, they are all bad numbers except the 1 reading of 334. If I have more data of high numbers I would have to assume not enough inslulin.

19. Sean & Rufus

My preferance is SLGS but still haven't heard of starting over at 1 or 3 or whatever. My plan for now is stay at 4.5 until next Saturday and then do a curve. I'll have my vet look at the numbers on Monday and decide what to then, but only go up .5 each time. I'm pretty sure she bumped it up 1 full unit instead of the preferred (on this site) because he has been unregulated for 9 weeks now, and the numbers are getting higher.

20. Juliet

Juliet Guest

@Sandy and Black Kitty and @Wendy&Neko both suggested you keep to the same dose and get more testing in. Try and get at least four tests a day between now and your curve on Saturday. If you’re off work then you can get the daytime and evening tests. I am also doing SLGS although as you are off work TR might work better for you. It has a higher chance of remission. Read the protocol you decide on thoroughly then you will know what to do.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.