1/20 Spicey

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by tajana340, Jan 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tajana340

tajana340 Member

Good morning everyone,

Just an update on spicey, she has been doing well. I was looking at my notes last nite and I have noticed that after her pmps,
    She really likes to eat alot. I double checked her food intake on 1/19/10 was 69grams of food compared to 1/17/10 she had 49grams of food. She is currently eating the canned friskies special diet beef and chicken. Other than that she is doing great.

David

2. Terri and Lucy

Terri and Lucy Member

Morning David,

69 grams is still less than 3 oz according to the conversion calculator I use. How much does she weigh? Is she a good weight, too skinny, or too chubby?

3. tajana340

tajana340 Member

she weighs about 11 lbs last weighed on 12/31/09

4. Gator & H (GA)

Gator & H (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm doubting 69g per day is enough. H is 14lbs and some change and he needs over 200g. the Friskies is about 34 Kcal per oz. EDIT - maybe you were just talking about the morning amount of food? LOL

The formula for figuring our how much your cat should eat uses DER [Daily Energy Requirement] or sometimes called MER [Maintenance Energy Requirement] and looks like this:

The quick/rough way using 1.2-1.4xRER [Resting Energy Requirement] - need to convert 11 lb in to Kg so 5Kg:
    MER = 5kg[spicey] x 60-80 = 300-400Kcal

The longer/better way:
    30(5kg[spicey]) + 70 = RER[spicey]
    RER[spicey] x (1.1 to 1.4) = MER[spicey]
    MER[spicey] = 242 - 308 Kcal

the multiplication factor of 1.1-1.4 is used for senior adults (seven to 11 years) [SACN 4th ed ch 6 p3]. I'd shoot for the lower number since Spicey seems to be an indoor kitty? Also an Obese-prone adult = 1.0 x RER. I think I recall seeing a multiplication factor as low as 0.8 for a weight loss regimen.

Soooooooo. At 34Kcal per oz for the Friskies, Spicey should supposedly need about 7 oz [or 202g] minimum.

I hope I did that right? Anyone else have input? I hope that's not too confusing.

Also http://www.catinfo.org has some feeding guidelines [I was reading 150-250 Kcal/day for the "average cat"] and I think she has her own easy way of calculating.

Ultimately though it is what they need to hold a certain [healthy] weight. I weigh H on a kitchen scale I now my new best friend:
    http://www.myweigh.com/scales/medium-sc ... ofessional

5. Terri and Lucy

Terri and Lucy Member

Dr Lisa's formula is a little bit easier to calculate but comes out with a much lower amount:

ideal body weight x 15 = calories per day so for Spicy: 11 X 15 = 165

Friskies Special Diet Beef and Chicken is 183 calories in a 5.5 oz can according to Janet's list.

That said, Dr. Lisa said the other night that she doesn't recommend minimum calories any more. She prefers to feed the cat what she wants. Lucy would be obese if I gave her that option so I'm going to stick with the math.

6. Gator & H (GA)

"Friskies" not "Fancy Feast" @-) LOL yep, yep, I'll blame that one on the dyslexia. I knew it started with an "f". I edited my previous to be consistent with the Friskies instead of Fancy Feast.

Note to self: a little "How much should I feed my cat" calculator would be a fun little web app to make.

7. Sarah and Buzz

Sarah and Buzz Well-Known Member

Like a mortgage calculator! ;)

8. Gator & H (GA)

MER / DER calculator

Yes. I've actually completed a Google spreadsheet that anyone can download and use. Unfortunately I don't think I should allow anyone to edit it without saving it first.

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key ... nhPTXBEUUE

This at least give me a starting place, and I can do the calcs quickly now.

I think it is important to note that even SACN states "DER calculations should be used as guidelines, starting points and estimates for individual animals and not as absolute requirements."

It's at least fun to play with.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

tom came back from the vet today where he weighed in a 15 lbs. that was a bit of a surprise since 7 months ago he was 13 1/2 lbs and i could have sworn he looks like he's losing muscle mass around shoulder etc.
    my question is this... it looks like from J+B's food chart he's only getting less than 200 calories plus however many calories is in 1 ounce of raw rabbit a day. i'm guessing not alot.
    does this seem enough?
    btw, he was being checked for hyperT and has been doing ok on 1/3u once a day for 3 days now. was in rmission for 2+ years...back on juice for 5 days now.
    still waiting to hear if there are any hypert pzi kitties around here....

10. Gator & H (GA)

Lori,

Domesticated raw rabbit [I'm assuming boneless] has 39 Kcal/oz :smile:

The USDA SR21 Database is pretty nifty. You can search it here:
    http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search/

"enough" is whatever it takes to keep them at a healthy weight [or their ideal body weight].

If you use 1.1 as the multiplication factor then 279 Kcal would be the MER for 13.5 lbs. 1.0 would be about 250 Kcal. But there is nothing magic about 1.1 or 1.0 and again it is what it takes to keep your kitty at a healthy weight.

Also, I do not trust the scales at the vets office one iota! They get abused than are rarely if ever calibrated. And they often have multiple scales [and operators]. I've found the best way to track H's weight is with my own scale and weigh him once in the morning and once at night which will give you the typical range. Then you can track their weight up and down and tell if it goes significantly outside the normal variation. LOL but I'm pretty crazy about weight since that's our MO here to keep weight on H [I even have a spreadsheet and chart it over time]. But weight can also be instructive in their insulin needs over time. If they are gaining weight then an increase in insulin requirements can be explained by that.

I know Ele & Blackie might be investigating hyperT. You might want to track their progress and read the past few posts of theirs.

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

gator i just edited my post with additonal info.

12. Joanna & Bix (GA)

Joanna & Bix (GA) Well-Known Member

Wow, those are some formulas!!!! Another reason to free-feed. :lol:

Glad Spicey is doing well!!!

OT alert! :D

Lori, I'm not sure everyone saw your question - I think there are hyperT kitties around, but I don't know who, but I'm almost certain it's come up before. You might need to start a topic with that in the title, as we have a number of people who check in here & there, but probably don't follow every thread. One of my civies, Pippa, had the I-131 treatment so I guess that qualifies her as a former hyperTbie, though the whole thing came up & got solved so fast I never really got my mind around it. Are you waiting on thyroid test results at this point (not sure if I correctly followed :cool: )?

Lori, Cindy, & Gator are you getting flooding? It's been crazy up here - we had thunder, lightning & hail today, all but unheard of around here! I think even 101 was closed for a while up near San Jose for flooding, and there were tornado watches, though thankfully I don't think that materialized. I heard SoCal is going to get hit more than us with this next storm coming in tomorrow. Hope everyone is ok!

13. Gator & H (GA)

No floods on the West Side :cool: Just trying to stay warm and not think too much about snowboarding. It's H plan to keep me out of trouble. :smile:

But I did see a tornado hit the OC coast yesterday [tossed some boats around] - front page of LA Times. I haven't watched the news but I'm sure there are the proverbial rescues of people trying to cross raging flooded streams in their car. I'm not sure what possesses people to do that. And then there's the lady who refuses to evacuate La CaƱada Flintridge [the area hit by the huge Station fire that they're expecting to be washed away] because of her "cats." ohmygod_smile

Yep, LA without sunshine such a train-wreck.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.