1/23: Cosmo - long timer update

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Cyn and Cosmo, Jan 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cyn and Cosmo

Cyn and Cosmo Member

The backstory
    Cosmo was admitted to the ER on 3/10/08, with DKA. The next day, the vets also diagnosed him with Hepatic Lipidosis and pancreatitis. I got to visit him 2x per day for 8 days, while he fought and fought. He cleared the acids and ketones, got a tube stuck in his neck, and came home to recover from the HL. We tube fed for weeks and weeks, and found this place to help us manage the diabetes. I cried a lot. Mostly sadness and guilt tears. Then, the day he ate on his own, I cried happy tears. We weaned him off the liquid food, and made sure he was eating enough to keep his weight stable. You can see on our SS that he was up to 4U of lantus BID, and though we didn't arrive at that dose safely, he needed every drop. As he got better, he needed less and less insulin. I had sleepless nights, or lots of sleepus interruptus testing his BGs. Lucky for me, it paid off. The same week he went OTJ, he got his tube taken out. I held my breath as we counted down the days. And then we partied!!

The Update

Cosmo, overall, is doing great. He is oh so dashing with his one eye, and knows just how adorable he is. He is up to all sorts of mischief, and starts fights with his brother all the time (more so when he is bored). His weight has been holding steady, and I rarely check his BG (bad momma bean) except when I get worried b/c something is not quite right.

He's been OTJ for over 18 mos now (antijinx) and loving every minute. He is super snuggly, and is pretty insistent on being near me at all times. So much so that I bought a baby sling for him! (and he will sit in it for up to 30 minutes)!!!

However....
    Yesterday morning, I noticed he wasn't all that interested in food. Then, not interested in his bonito flakes. Then he started vomiting. I figured another p-itis attack, until I felt his belly. Which felt distended/bloated. Off to the vet we go. (Luckily, our IM vet had time to see us!)

4 hrs later, he's had a thorough physical exam, blood drawn, and an ultrasound. They found fluid in his intestines, which is a bad thing. We are waiting for the cytology report (results back Monday), bloodwork and U/A should be back today. They also gave a shot of anti-nauseant. Sent us home with bup, famotodine, and mirtz. I swung by KFC to get some grilled chicken, which is pretty much all he ate last night. He didn't come to bed with me, but wasn't hiding in the closet either.

This morning, I woke up to both kitties sleeping at the foot of the bed :) Cosmo jumped up on the chair for squids :D and wolfed down his bonito flakes :D Then, he went and had a couple bites of fud. He is snuggly and purry again,and his shaved belly is oh so soft.

IM vet thinks that the possibilities range from infection to cancer that is causing the fluid in the intestines. We'll deal with it when we get there. TODAY, Cosmo seems to be feeling great, and that's what I need to focus on.

He misses his all his buddies and flirting with all the pretty ladies here. He is pretty sure he is even MORE irresistible with his one eye than ever. And isn't ashamed to use it to his complete advantage.

2. Jen and Oreo (GA)

Jen and Oreo (GA) Well-Known Member

Glad to hear Cosmo is feeling better this morning.

Thanks for the Cosmo update!

3. Joan and Madison

Joan and Madison Member

Hi Cyn and Cosmo, my handsome little pirate kitteh! :smile:

I'm sending tons and tons of good vines that Cosmo's cytology report comes back with the best results possible. It's verra verra good to hear that his appetite seems to be back. Boy, would I LOVE a picture of him in his baby sling! :D

4. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

It's great to see your condo and you know how much I appreciate your checking in on Gabby when you have the chance. I'm keeping all limbs and appendages crossed that whatever is going on with Cosmo is not serious. Please keep us updated.

5. squeem3

squeem3 Well-Known Member

Awww. Poor Cosmo feeling icky :sad:

Don't you just love Dr. B? He always has time to squeeze clients into his already full schedule :thumbup

[/quote]

Glad Cosmo is feeling more bcatrun_gif today :smile: I hope tummy thing isn't anything serious.

6. Judith and Thomas

Judith and Thomas Member

So great to hear your update!

Not so great to hear about your worries and new tests results so far...of course, after what I have just been through with my Thomas, hearing about fluids in the intestines has me a bit skeered for you and your sweet boy. I hope this is not anything serious and he will bounce back as he usually does, that little warrior pirate of yours!

Sending lots of good thoughts your way as you find out more info. So glad he seemed to be his perky (and hungry) self this morning.

Ditto the request for a pic of him in the sling! :mrgreen:

Judith and Thomas (GA)

7. pjstroop

pjstroop Member

Hi Cyn! So glad that Cosmo is feeling better today..
    He truly has a story to tell and has overcome many obstacles.. He is such a courageous kitty!
    I'm so glad to have gotten an update on your handsome pirate kitty.. aargh.. aargh.. :mrgreen:

Thanks for being here Cyn.. you always have a wealth of info for us..
    Your experience and support is sooo appreciated!

8. Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA)

Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

Cosmo is so cute....what a great story! I do hope things work out for you two
    and that he will be feeling better real soon with no added concerns...paws crossed
    for your flirty little boy! :YMHUG:

9. Juanita & Chika (GA)

Juanita & Chika (GA) Member

sending lots of healing vines. I reeeeaaallly hope it is something manageable. (((Cosmo)))

10. Roni and Moonie

Roni and Moonie Well-Known Member

Hoping the vetty report is good!! I remember all that you went through & Cosmo is still feisty & a brave boy!! Wishing you healing vines for the Tummy Cosmo! Hugs Cynthia to all of you from us-- :YMHUG: :YMHUG:

11. Linda and Bear Man

Linda and Bear Man Well-Known Member

So good to see you. I hope the tests don't show anything terrible. I am sending anti bad news vines. I loved reading about the baby sling. I need to get one for Teddy.

12. Sherry & Zoe (GA)

Sherry & Zoe (GA) Well-Known Member

Love seeing the ever handsome, pirate kitty...he looks great! Paws crossed all tests come back good and whatever is wrong is easily managed.

(((Cynn & Cosmo)))

Sherry & Zoe

13. Cyn and Cosmo

Cyn and Cosmo Member

update to our update

vettybean called: cytology report is clear of any cancerous cells. she is going to send out the blood sample for an fPLi (fluid in abdomen could be from liver disease, p-itis, etc). basically, cytology report is inconclusive. blood work looks great, except for elevated kidney values (nothing more than usual)

I'm not sure how far to take it. If the fPLi comes back positive, I guess we can stop hunting. I'm pretty sure he has it anyway, but the test only costs about $40.

Thanks to all for all the positive vines! they worked!!

ETA: forgot to add that the lack of cancerous cells in fluid does not mean that it is NOT cancer. but i don't want to keep looking. No obvious tumors in the abdominal U/S. As long as he acts happy, i"m happy.

14. Jen and Oreo (GA)

Jen and Oreo (GA) Well-Known Member

Oh good news Cyn!!! Glad to hear nothing cancerous in the cyto :smile:

15. Linda and Bear Man

Linda and Bear Man Well-Known Member

Thank goodness! Wonderful news!

16. WCF and Meowzi

WCF and Meowzi Well-Known Member

all day long i was nailbite_smile nailbite_smile nailbite_smile nailbite_smile nailbite_smile

and then i read that cytology update and i was dancing_cat dancing_cat dancing_cat dancing_cat dancing_cat

and meowzi is bouncing for joy flip_cat flip_cat flip_cat flip_cat flip_cat

now i need to go read the rest of the update, none of which sank in :lol:

(((cosmo))) cat_pet_icon

17. Libby and Lucy

Libby and Lucy Senior Member Moderator

oh my goodness, what a drama filled condo today...

I'm sooooo thankful that they didn't find cancer cells. Fingers crossed that it's something easy.

Lucy said to tell Cosmo again that she LOOOOOOOVES one eyed boyz. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

18. OptOut

OptOut Well-Known Member

I just love the Pirate-boy, although I do wish you'd take a picture of him with a patch on...Boo says it would be sexy.

19. Nina and KB

Nina and KB Well-Known Member

I'm so glad one of those worries is over.

Your Cosmo is such a trooper. While your tone is light and upbeat, I know you and he have been through alot, and you have a vast amount of knowledge and experience that you freely share with this community.

20. squeem3

squeem3 Well-Known Member

Yay! No cancerous stuff dancing_cat I hope the fPLI test will show something but don't feel bad if it doesn't. It came back negative for Squishy but necropsy showed that he did have it :cry: Dr. P said that she wishes the test was more sensitive/accurate but it's the best test currently available.

21. Michelle and Doodle

Michelle and Doodle Member

Craaaaap!
    I am soooo crying right now! (tears of relief)
    Which is loads better than the vomiting I was wanting to do when I first started reading this.
    Oh I love that sweet one eyed beautiful boy!!!

so glad the cytology report came back clear!!!
    (((Cynthia)))

22. Fleapunk

Fleapunk Member

(((((((Cosmo))))))))) & (((((((((Cyn)))))))))

Okay, one down.....so far so good. So happy he was feeling better today. Cosmo is Punk's #1 Hero, he will be ok!

And yes....waiting for sling pic. :mrgreen:

23. Emmy & Dude

Emmy & Dude Well-Known Member

Yay for 18 mos. OTJ.

Boo for distended tummy and nausea and all those tests.

Yay for no cancerous cells.

And I agree - all any of us can do with ourselves and/or our furry companions is one day at a time - and if all feel good on that day - YAY for good days.

Sending lots and lots of good vibes, healing prayers and hugs,

Emmy & Dude (& Mittsi too)

24. Judith and Thomas

Judith and Thomas Member

Oh, yay! Thanks for posting the update (to the update)! So glad to hear no cancerous cells. And nothing of obvious concern on U/S. All good news.

I'm with you...watch the cat, not necessarily the reports. If he seems to be feeling great, then just love him to bits and take things one day at a time. Looks like things are not anywhere near as scary as we all feared from your first post!

Give your little pirate a big scritch for me.

And yes...we'll all be waiting for that sling pic! :mrgreen:

Judith and Thomas (GA)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.