1/25 Spicey Update

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by tajana340, Jan 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tajana340

tajana340 Member

Hi everyone, Just wanted to touch base. Spicey is doing good. Her #s from 1/24 pmps and on are intersting she went up to +14. At +16 she was high enought to give her insulin. I figured not to test her at +15 since she hadn't eaten anything really from +13 on. So it put her 4 hours behind on when she normally gets her shot. That was interesting.

David

2. Joanna & Bix (GA)

Joanna & Bix (GA) Well-Known Member

That is great news David! Looks like she is getting good duration, and her zoominess may be starting to settle down. Often with a delayed shot like that I will raise the dose a tiny it for Bix - 0.1u or 0.2u - to compensate for the loss of overlap. But until you have a little more data it makes sense to stay with what you are doing and continue to get a feel for her response to this dose.

With PZI they can get quick poop-out - 170 one minute and 300 soon after. Sometimes people recommend testing every 30 minutes if the PS is too low to shoot, so you can catch them once they are clearly rising, but before they get too high. Bix rarely zoomed that fast, so with him I usually tested every hour or two when he wasn't high enough to shoot. As you work with it more you'll get a feel for what works for Spicey. Great job! Nice to see her making progress like that.

3. Joanna & Bix (GA)

Joanna & Bix (GA) Well-Known Member

p.s. If I'm reading the #s right (it was last night's shot that was at +16, right, so that PMPS in the 400s was a +16 not a +12 #?), her dose could be just a hair too high. Yesterday's cycle started high, then came down into the 200s mid-cycle, then into the 100s late in the cycle, with a long hang (is that the right term? I forget) at the end. Sometimes that is a sign the dose is too high, when the #s get lower late in the cycle like that.

Today's looks really nice though, I like the % drop (and this morning was a +12 shot?), so it's hard to say 100% - I wouldn't want to see the drop any steeper though [50% to 65% drop is what I've seen recommended]. I'd maybe try measuring on the low side of what you are measuring right now, or try 0.4u in the u100 syringes and see how things go with that. It does look from these latest #s like 0.6u may indeed have been too high, so that might be why you had a problem before when you tried the new syringes - if the dose is too high, they often throw out high #s to protect themselves.

4. tajana340

tajana340 Member

This morning shot was at +16.

5. Victoria & Sundance

Victoria & Sundance Member

David, if you skipped last night's evening shot, then the shot this morning was at more than +24... do I have that right?

Sometimes it's better to put the number and a notation like ** in the exact hour that you shot and then make a comment in the comments section. Especially for people who are going to look at your spreadsheet a few days from now and will just see a skipped shot but no other shots out of the 12/12 schedule.

And sometimes, when kitty has gone low enough that you can't shoot, it's good to lower the next dose, as you've done, no matter what the number is, so that you can keep that lower dose for a few cycles and be able to shoot on a more consistent basis. Hoping then that you get a lower preshot soon and again have to lower the dose. So don't worry if the preshot tonight is lower... remember it will be a shorter cycle so you can't shoot at your regular hour. If you need to get back on schedule, either skip the dose or stay up to shoot at 11 hours after the last shot...and then shoot at +11 until you are at the right hours again. Shooting at +8 isn't an option.

(You may know all this but I type stuff out a bit more details for lurkers). :smile:

6. Gator & H (GA)

Gator & H (GA) Well-Known Member

I like the details Vic. I like learning from others. :smile:

7. Terri and Lucy

Terri and Lucy Member

This is not a good way to use PZI, IMHO. It may work for Lantus, but it ignores the flexibility of PZI. Although honestly, I wouldn't use the strategy with Levemir anymore than I would with PZI. The goal is to keep the cat's body functional with enough insulin that it's not zooming up and then dropping low over and over again. Regulation comes through equilibrium.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

is'nt that what vic is suggesting. lower the dose so she can give 2 doses a day at 12 hours instead of missing a dose becuase the pmps #'s are too low to shoot.
    that's what i understood.
    that would be interesting for me as tom is a zoomer. zooming down in 3 hours, hanging steady in low 100's and missing his evening shot. am's are usually low 200's
    i want to avoid that but don't know how to gentle his curve...vic's adise might help. don't know....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.