1/26 Buddha

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Donna & Buddha, Jan 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Donna & Buddha

Donna & Buddha Member

Buddha's amps number today is 96! After a +5.5 of 449 yesterday afternoon. Huh?

I'm not going to shoot ANY amount with a number under 300. Just not comfortable. But if I wait for numbers to come up, then do I shoot a full amount? Half dose? Then wait twelve hours from that time 'til the next shot?

Is my meter wonky? I've only used the one meter, and the strips are the same yesterday and today, recently opened, unexpired. Buddha's tail did sweep the Contour to the floor a couple of days ago. Didn't appear to sustain damage.

I read on another list that I don't need to hit the ear vein, so I just pricked along the top margin, got a smaller droplet, but the meter thought it was enough. Sample size or sample location affect bg results?

I will retest in a bit.

2. judy and squamee(GA)

judy and squamee(GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Donna,
    I am no expert, but I don't see why sample location or size (if meter doesn't give error notice) should matter. But why not test yourself to see if it seems accurate? As for dosage and time of shot, I am sure others will give you more experienced advice. Certainly sounds like your caution is warranted!

3. Bebe & Little Man

Bebe & Little Man New Member

I would probably test in an hour and then go from there. Sometimes numbers will zoom quite quickly and if they
    zoom depending on how much that would determine what I would give.
    It is important to test before each shot. I would like to see what it is an hour or so after this.
    Which insulin are you using?

4. Donna & Buddha

Donna & Buddha Member

We're using prozinc. The second test about an hour later and after breakfast was 307, so I shot with 2u.

I'm used to the numbers going up for a couple of hours post shot and then coming down, so I haven't tested again. Think we should be at +3 now. I've shifted focus to other urgent crises for a while ...

5. Gator & H (GA)

Gator & H (GA) Well-Known Member

Couple things on the meter.

1) they make this stuff called "control solution" that allows one to test their meeter to see if it is off. You can usually buy this from wherever you got your meter from or sometimes the meter manufacturers will send it out to you free. Just don't tell the Mfr that you are using it on your cat! They don't like that. Tell them you are using it on your "baby."

2) It is always recommended to have a second meter around. Most importantly if you current meter dies or doesn't want to work then you have a backup. This has happened to me - I learned this the hard way! Also this allows one to check any weird readings against a second meter. The changes they will match are slim but they should be within about 20% of each other.

6. Donna & Buddha

Donna & Buddha Member

I have some control solution. I bought some recently expired strips and wanted to see if they were good. The expired strips tested within the range of the control solution. However, I found that in the higher ranges, over 300 say, that the expired strips test 10% or more higher than non-expired strips.

So I've been using the expired strips to check Buddha's bg when having an exact number isn't so critical, and I've stopped recording the data.

I do have one of those free meters, the One Touch?, in the closet. It came a couple of weeks ago. Need to open it up and check it out. Haven't found a cheap source of strips for it yet. (And when I filled out the questionnaire, I at first checked "parent" box as relationship to the user. But I AM a parent and then got VERY worried about insurance people getting hold of this information, so I switched to "professional caregiver", which is actually a fair description of my duties at present.)

7. Gator & H (GA)

This is the best price on the OTU strips I've been able to find [free shipping]:
    https://diabetespeoples.com

I'm sorry I don't have much to say about your numbers. In this case I'm not feeling qualified enough. And junk food is involved too [and I'm not sure for how long].

Yes, do not hit the vein. You have it right it is the sweet zone between the vein the edge of the ear that you want. After you have gotten the blood, make sure to apply pressure for about 30 seconds after each prick.

8. Donna & Buddha

Donna & Buddha Member

Gator, your GNP brand syringes, do they come in plastic wrappers? I paid a buck or two more for the Monoject brand, because they had a great description (life IS marketing). But each one is individually wrapped and I think that's overkill.

9. Joanna & Bix (GA)

Joanna & Bix (GA) Well-Known Member

From what I understand, #s that drop at the end of a cycle are often a sign that the dose is too high. Often with PZI, it's only too high by a small amount though, so I probably wouldn't go so far as to cut the dose in half. It could also be some leftover overlap from the previous 2.2 that is making the dose feel higher than it will be in another cycle or so.

I would recommend a no-shoot of 200 (or 250 even) rather than 300, and just try a smaller dose if you shoot at 200. Then get some data on that dose, and go from there. The higher PSs will add to more big swings, which can trigger rebound and/or not feel great for your cat. Of course you have to do what you feel comfortable with :D that's just my 2c.

Testing veins vs. capillary does have some difference I have read, that relates to how much a possible food spike will show up. I can never recall which is which, but one will show the full food spike, and one might not. I think that is why capillary is recommended. The difference is only on the order of 10% though, so I wouldn't worry about it really. I will go look for a link to some reference info on that & post it here if I can dig something up.

10. Gator & H (GA)

Yes. I've had both the Monoject and the GNP brand ones here and I am convinced they are made by the same company [likely Tyco] but with different "brands." Nearly everything about them is identical. There are some minor variations in the printing on the individually wrapped plastic/paper wrappers and of course the printing on the box is different. Other than that, I'd save yourself a couple bucks then next time and grab the GNPs. But the Monojocts are fine too. I haven't seen the Wal-Mart ones but I wouldn't doubt they are the same too.

There are some other brands that have a different way of marking the units that I purchased once and sent back [Sure Comfort maybe??]. It is more about how the GNPs and Monojects are marked on the barrel that works well.

I've also tried to note any difference in the two "performance" wise - mainly if one or the other grabs more bubbles than the other and they seems to be the same to me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.