1/3 Buddys amps 152,+need dose help

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Marci and Buddy, Jan 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marci and Buddy

Marci and Buddy Member

Finally...some blue -has been a very difficult few weeks due to the fact that around the same time Buddy lost his green (for no explained reason), the board also changed.
    i'm finding it much harder to recieve the valuable help on treating him as i had gotten before-i hope someone is available to comment on his dose-not sure what to do.. and not comfortable going it alone.
    have a great sunday everyone.

2. Me and Bayley

Me and Bayley Member

I am sorry but I am not able to give dosing help but I will give support. I totally understand not wanting to make the call without input. I have had to do it MANY times. I hope someone is available to you - I will bump this message up so that it will be seen. Good luck :)

3. Roni and Moonie

Roni and Moonie Well-Known Member

This is a nice amps that may bring Buddy to green...You gave f0.75 on 1/1 at pmps, but went back to 0.75 reg..See how he does today & let's see if you need that little extra bit.

4. Libby and Lucy

Libby and Lucy Senior Member Moderator

Marci,

First read here: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=926
    and here: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=979

to understand why I can't give specific advice right now.

What I CAN do is point you to some information, and ask you some questions and try to help you think this through.

First, know that it is normal for insulin needs to fluctuate, and we have to just respond to those fluctuations. Don't worry about how much or how little the dose is, as long as it is right for Buddy. Second, think through the last few days/weeks - has anything changed for Buddy that might affect his numbers? Eating, drinking, litterboxing all the same? Food changes? Environment changes (stress at home, visitors for the holidays, change in your work hours?). Any meds?

Third, according to the German Tight Regulation Protocol http://www.tillydiabetes.net/en_6_protocol2.htm this seems to be where Buddy is right now:

"Most cats need to have their dose increased. Do it in 0.25 IU or 0.5 IU steps (0.25 IU if the cat is getting a low dose and/or relatively low BGs, 0.5 IU if the cat is getting a higher dose and/or relatively high BGs). Hold each dose for 5-7 days."

You can look at Lucy's spreadsheet to see that sometimes I had to raise the dose again after I thought she had stabilized.

This is what has worked for me and I hope it helps you find a solution for Buddy.

5. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

The way I would interpret Libby's excerpt from the Tilly Protocol is that you fattened up Buddy's dose on 1/1. You may want to hold this dose for a bit longer (at least 5 days) to see where the dose goes. You need to make sure the shed has filled on this increase before you can evaluate whether to add more insulin. Conversely, it's possible that Buddy will earn a decrease within this time frame.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.