1/3 H

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Gator & H (GA), Jan 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gator & H (GA)

Gator & H (GA) Well-Known Member

Holy poop on a stick! I gave him .6 U ProZinc this morning and here's what we have:
    264 AMPS
    167 +2
    56 +5 :EDIT: - I thought this was +6...doh
    73 +6 [whew]
    96 +7
    156 PMPS

A 200+ drop on just .6 U!!! I'm keeping as very close eye on him for that 56.

Yesterday with .5 U ProZinc he was:
    201 AMPS
    186 +7
    147 PMPS

The day before on .4 U he was:
    166 AMPS
    169 PMPS

His appetite seems OK. I temporarily switched him to Mirtazapine from Cyproheptadine a couple days ago and his appetite has been fairly steady. Eating his normal 100 grams at night.

I'm maybe thinking that this new bottle of ProZinc is less diluted than my old bottle of PZI? Is that normal - that old bottles become diluted at the end?

His numbers have been all over the place recently - it was raising my suspicions that something is up. So I decided to get more numbers here. I DCed the little bit of dry I was using to get his appetite back up a couple weeks ago - so that is not a factor.

2. Joanna & Bix (GA)

Joanna & Bix (GA) Well-Known Member

Interesting - and I think one of today's posters who got a sudden drop out of the blue is on ProZinc too. Wonder if it means anything? I think she said she's been on it for 8 days and got this fab drop today, which sounds curious to me. But she doesn't have a SS up yet, so hard to do more than guess at what it is.

I wonder if the bigger drop for H is because the PS was higher? More room to move, so if his body has been resisting the dose on a lower PS now it felt like it was safe? Idle speculation here.

Vetsulin gets dilute (or rather degrades each time you roll it) but I haven't heard that with PZI. With Vetsulin, it is routine (at least in some circles I guess) that when you start a new vial you reduce the dose a bit just in case. But again, I haven't heard that with PZI. But then I'm not sure many new vials have been started since I got here. :)

3. Gator & H (GA)

Do you know what the typical Vetsulin curve is like?

I'm pretty rough with my insulin [or have been in the past]. I draw then pull out the needle then give the barrel a good whack to release the bubble. This whack I'm sure mixes the air with the insulin a lot! With PZI Vet it was never an issue.

Anyway, I don't know what the issue is right now. Historically his typical nadir was at +7 and at +5 seems like it might have been nadir this time.

Also I think a 100 drop at +2 is a little extreme too. I'll have to grab a +1 next time. On PZI vet H would not drop [or just barely] at +1.

I am also suspicious that the 264 was a rebound from the night before.

4. Joanna & Bix (GA)

Joanna & Bix (GA) Well-Known Member

Vetsulin is pretty sharp - I forget exactly, but I think onset is more like +1, nadir +4 - +6, and poopout +8 - +10. It has a short acting component mixed with a longer acting component, and there can be a second nadir too (more seen in dogs). Bix nadired around +4, and was already shooting up by +8. I didn't like it - of course he was on dry food at the time so I can't say how it would have worked with canned. But I cannot recommend it from my experience, and what I've seen on the board. Might be good to bring down high #s quickly if needed, but I think they use N or H or something for that more typically. If you are interested, they have quite a bit on the Vetsulin website, under Vet Info.

I have heard of and seen a big drop on PZI at +2 on the board (not with Bix, but with others), but I don't understand it at all. Judy & Squamee got that once when the dose was too high. It puzzles me given that PZI is not early onset, but there is evidence of it at times.

Maybe ProZinc isn't as similar to PZI Vet as they claim!!! How does it feel to be the guinea pig? confused_cat

5. Gator & H (GA)

Yea, I have no idea what is going on currently. I'm betting that the old bottle was just losing some of it's oomph and I'm not used to how he reacts to full strength. But I also think it is odd he nadired at +5 when he was pretty reliably +7 before. I'm just going to have to get more numbers. I'm also going to stick with the cyproheptadine until I get things ironed out.

Honestly, it doesn't feel much different than any other day to be the guinea pig. I've been lucky to have some time with him were were just kind of cruised along, I did the routine and did not worry much. But the rest of the time - man *sigh* he's a hand full. After vet [a very top one at a very top vet school] left him in a very uncomfortable unregulated hyper for 2 months I just took the reigns into my hands and the experiment has never stopped.

6. Sweetgrass & the Furries

Sweetgrass & the Furries Member

Reading this as am curious as to how prozinc will behave.
    This does look a lot like a vetsulin/caninsulin curve rather than a PZI curve.
    Will be watching and see how this goes for you. If today repeats, maybe the vetsulin idea of a snack around +2 to slow the drop would help?

7. Gator & H (GA)

Yea, please, please, please anyone who reads this keep in mind that H has a lot of things goings ons with and my experience should not necessarily be applied to other cats. And I dose different than most here. We are not a good test case for sure.

8. Sweetgrass & the Furries

Sweetgrass & the Furries Member

I understand...I had a good read through all you guys have been dealing with..sounds like Gator is a trooper.Will ofcourse keep that in mind.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.