1/3 Morris AMPS 247 PMPS 54!!!

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Brenda and Morris, Jan 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brenda and Morris

Brenda and Morris Member

Yesterday: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=871

I am increasing just a drop to skinny .50. Although I'm happy with Morris running in the blue forever, I'm not crazy about the occasional jump into yellow...just want to see what a drop more can do.

Also, I'm getting the hang of the shorter needle and I can see why others might like them...less chance of poking through the other side and giving a fur shot. It's been a long time since I did a fur shot, although I've done my share, so I guess I didn't appreciate that so much. But I can use these and may even get to prefer them by the time the box is finished.

And another thing, and this is a biggie, I think I have the solution to the bubble...if you draw the insulin very very slowly - no bubble! I hope that wasn't just a fluke this morning. When you are micro dosing, that bubble becomes a HUGE problem. angry(2)_cat

Last but not least, more new Smilies....so hard to choose....but at least there's a selection. I like this one :RAHCAT
    and tell me that these are thumbs before I go and make an ass of myself: :thumbup

2. Roni and Moonie

Roni and Moonie Well-Known Member

Re: 1/3 Morris AMPS 247

Hey Brenda!! Yeah, we all like the smileys!! Morris come on down from there you silly!!
    Barb already told me it's freezing in Flor.! But it's a balmy 18 degrees up here with 40-50 mph winds!!
    Hope you have a good day(no swimming!) :thumbup

3. Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA)

Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

Morning Brenda...hope Morris give you a few blues today to make you happy....
    Maybe you will get used to the short syringe...as I said, I got them and prefer them...last long syringe was the ones I got from the vet for Vetsulin..I really feel that I have more control with the short ones...

Hey, I tried something with the syringe that works for me...thought I'd share it with you if you don't' mind...
    I move the plunger back and forth about 5 or 6 times to spread any lubrication inside....then, I depress the plunger as far as I can....
    hold the plunger totally depressed as you inset it....you will see how the black part depresses....that pushes air out of the syringe ahead of it coming in contact with the insulin....
    Now, you release the plunger in the vial or pen and slowly pull out the insulin you need....(no air is in the syringe at all you will find) I sometimes stop in the middle of drawing and flick the syringe to get any tiny bubble to the surface. But I have found that this method pushes air out before the syringe is even in the pen...
    With smaller dose, you draw a little more than you need of course, and express it onto a tissue or something..slowly turning & twisting the plunger to express the excess insulin....leaving the micro dose sans air bubbles.... party_cat Ta DAH!

Air bubbles drove me crazy until I read this hint and I apologize for not knowing who wrote it first....it is the best way I have found to draw insulin...
    let me know if I haven't explained it sufficiently..LOL...

Air Bubbles should only be in champagne... drinking24

ha haaaa

4. Brenda and Morris

Brenda and Morris Member

I will have to give your tweaks a try tonight...those air bubbles are my nemesis! angry(2)_cat

"Air Bubbles should only be in champagne... drinking24 " I'll drink to that! drinking09

I went out this afternoon and felt pretty confident that Morris would be OK...his +4 was 362. I came home at +9 and he was 103! Could have been less at +8...quite the drop 260 points in 4 hours??

Felines....They are so unpredictable! :dizcat

5. Libby and Lucy

Libby and Lucy Senior Member Moderator

I was going to write "come on down" but I guess I don't need to do that anymore. :lol: Looks like maybe Morris plans on a nice PMPS.

Do me a favor and mark in the comments on your spreadsheet when you switched to short needles. Every now and then that will make a difference in the cat's numbers so we might as well notate when the change happened.

6. Brenda and Morris

Brenda and Morris Member

Thanks Libby, I did the notation on my ss. Hoping I can more accurately dose with the tips from Pat and what I discovered this a.m.

7. Brenda and Morris

Brenda and Morris Member

Tested Morris at pre-shot and he was 54! Fed medium carb FF, waited an hour and he was 94 so I shot a plain .25u. Looks like giving him .50 fat, skinny or in between is no longer going to work so .25 is his new dose and I will just have to be patient with it.

Thank goodness I am at least able to draw an accurate .25 now, thanks to Pat's tips and my discovery this morning that if I draw slow the bubble is less likely to appear. flip_cat

On another note...it's the coldest night so far this year here in Florida (in the 20s I think) and I came home to NO HEAT!! Tried everything, which wasn't much...just changed out the batteries in the thermostat...and no go. It's going to be a l-o-n-g night! Hope Morris wants to snuggle...he's just like an electric blanket....ooh, how I wish I had one of those right about now!

8. Nancy & Bee

Nancy & Bee Member

Ack!! No heat Brenda?? I can see my breath out there tonight! It's nice and toasty over here if you want to come keep us company. :mrgreen:

Looks like Morris showed you what " a drop more can do"...little stinker!
    I'm trying out Pat's air bubble trick tonight too. That one little blip that sticks to the plunger drives me nuts!

9. CD and BigMac

CD and BigMac Well-Known Member

Hey congratulations on the dose reduction, this is great to see for Morris! Sorry about the lack of heat though....brrrrr.

10. Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA)

Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

Great PMPS for Morris tonight...maybe the cold is helping....did anyone ever think of this before?
    You might be on to something Brenda!!! It's pretty nippy here in sunny (?) Florida...should I open the
    windows for Shadow's numbers? LOLOLOL
    Wanna imagine DH's face when I suggest that...

Hope you both can keep warm ~ Brrrrrrrr.......

11. Brenda and Morris

Brenda and Morris Member

He stayed in blue most of the night even tho I gave him the medium carb last night...we are now 2 hours behind for shots and I need to make it up by Sat. morning so I hope I don't have any more delays. I was actually tempted to skip the shot last night when he was so low at shot time but figured better not to upset the momentum, if there was any...LOL!

Still cold and still no heat...repairman says he will be here in 1-1/2 hours....inside low last night was 60 degrees....I was under a mountain of blankets and Morris only cuddled for a little while.

Will start a new condo when my two hours are up. Right now I'm drinking a warm beverage and typing with gloves on!! drinking11

12. Heather and Jasper

Heather and Jasper Member

I'm not sure why you delayed an hour before shooting. You've shot higher doses at the same number back in December.
    Usually when we stall a shot we retest in 15-30 minutes with out feeding.

Morris is looking good!

13. Brenda and Morris

Brenda and Morris Member

I did???? Let me go look......I don't see it Heather...what date?? Oh, I see I shot 1u on 11/5 at a 58...wow, I had big ones then!!!

Actually I stalled an hour because I got tied up trying to fix my heat, which I discovered was out right after I tested Morris. I just threw some medium carb at him, knowing he'd be safe til I got back to him. I usually give him low carb food and try and bring him up but my heart just wasn't in it to stay up all night with him when it's so cold....I know, I'm a wimp..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.