1/4, Boomer, AMPS=191

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Traci and Boomer, Jan 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Traci and Boomer

Traci and Boomer Well-Known Member

Mornin',

I gave him his new dose of 0.25. I wonder what will happen. Unfortunately I amnot home all day, so the next test may be +11 or so. Interested to see what it is.

2. Kathy and Kitty

Kathy and Kitty Well-Known Member

Good luck with the new dose, Traci.

Yes, Kitty has settled into a routine, and I cherish it as long as it lasts! Just a few short weeks ago, I learned to shoot low [BECAUSE I WAS DATA READY, thanks to Lantus Land :mrgreen: ]. I shot full doses well below today's AMPS. My stomach did flip-flops, but I learned, to my astonishment, that low surfs are real.

Wishing you and Boomer a green year!

3. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

Yes - do get that +11! Boomer looks good in blue!
    Have a good day Traci!

4. Traci and Boomer

Re: 1/4, Boomer, 11.25=196, PMPS=225 - question

I had to feed him before the shot because he was absolutely beside himself. He continues to be very, very hungry all the time even though he's doing well on his insulin. Is this normal?

Tonight I gave him a fat .25. It's so hard to know what I gave! It's more than .25 and less than .5. I wanted to see what that would do. At this dose level does finagling it matter as much? I'll do another test before bed about a +3 or so.

5. Cassandra and Sasha

Cassandra and Sasha Well-Known Member

Re: 1/4, Boomer, 11.25=196, PMPS=225 - question

Given the fact that he is on a steroid, yes the hunger is normal. Sasha is constantly hungry on Bude. Never was before. I've learned to distract her sometimes in order to not overfeed, because she could stand to lose a few pounds.

The most important thing is to pick a dose and stick with is as best you can unless the numbers signal otherwise. Given that yesterday the bounce from the previous day probably hadn't cleared and it was clearing as of this morning, he may well have gone green this afternoon. I would hold the 0.25u dose and be consistent with it, unless you are sure that he is not getting green or if he earns another reduction by going below 50.

6. Traci and Boomer

Hi Cassandra-

Thanks so much for reminding me about the bude causing the hunger. I totally forgot. The thing with him that is weird and it's always been this way-he doesn't gain much weight but eats non-stop. I actually think he's gained some recently, he looks great, but not as much as a normal cat would eating as much as he does. He weighs about 9 and a half pounds. He could easily eat 4 cans a day of FF and treats. He gets B-12 once a month for his IBD. From what I understand it helps him absorb nutrients. I am due to pick up more bude and B-12. Maybe he needs it more than once a month? How often do you give it to your fur daughter? How is her IBD? Boomer's seems to be under control with the bude, knock on wood.

7. Cassandra and Sasha

Cassandra and Sasha Well-Known Member

The eating non-stop and not gaining can be related to the IBD. Most likely he isn't absorbing all of the nutrients from the food. Has he ever had a full GI panel run through Texas A&M (TAMU)?

Usually B12 is supplemented to kitties that have B12 deficiencies, which are common with IBD (although TAMU has discovered that the B12 deficiencies are more common in IBD kitties with diarrhea rather than IBD kitties with vomiting as their main symptom). B12 deficiency can also contribute to symptoms and the actual manifestation of IBD itself. Why one cat develops this problem over another, who knows....probably at least partially genetic, perhaps some environmental.

The TAMU protocol calls for monthly dosing (once the initial dosing tier has been passed through), but many IBD kitty beans do give B12 more often than that. I usually aim for once every 2 weeks to a month now, but I did used to give it weekly when Sasha was at her worst. Have you read the TAMU info on cobalamin? TAMU COBALAMIN THERAPY

The Budesonide has been a godsend for us - her symptoms (daily vomiting despite constant antiemetics, some loose/mucous stool - this went on for about 1.5 years) have resolved completely. She has not had any symptoms for about 3 months (knock wood, antijinx).

Sasha only really gained weight I believe because she developed hypothyroidism after her I-131 treatment for her hyperthyroidism. Because her thyroid stopped working normally, she put 1.5 lbs on and it has been a struggle to get them off. But I'd rather have her be a little heavy rather than a little skinny at her age, so I'm okay with it. ;-)

8. Traci and Boomer

Here, here, same with me. No SKINNY pets! Boomer is a fine weight, but I do know in the back of my mind that something isn't quite right because as I've said before he eats enough for two cats and only has gained a little weight.

Thanks for all your help. Oh and he used to have pancreatitis but was told after a blood test (I think) that that was resolved. At some point he did have a biopsy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.