1/4 CERENIA dose question

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Rocket & his Mom, Jan 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rocket & his Mom

Rocket & his Mom Well-Known Member

Rocket has been Rx Cerenia...he was currently on 1 mg bid of zofran but doesn't seem to be working as he is lip smacking

vet wants to discontinue for now the zofran and start him on Cerenia

the dose is: tablets are 16 mgs
    to give 1/2 tablet every 24 hrs for 5 days then stop for 2 days then repeat

he weighs 7.13 kgs

is the dose right or too much for him?

he is taking buprenorphine and i did give him the full dose Rx of 0.52 ml this afternoon....he also gets 7.5 mgs bid of phenobarbital....

another question on Cerenia....how far apart from the phenobarbital, zantac and buprenorphine to give Cerenia?

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

That about right. My vet said 1/4 table and he weights about 9 1/2 pounds. Googling got me 1 mg/kg.

3. Girlcat

Girlcat Member

if you google cerenia yu may want to bring this info to your vet. i am not seeing this drug for use in cats unlees this is a recent approval.so far all ive seen is for use on dogs.is cat ok on the zofran? if he is yu maybe want to discuss him staying on the zofran

4. Rocket & his Mom

Rocket & his Mom Well-Known Member

zofran seems not to be doing the job with Rocket....he's been on that for a while so perhaps no longer working....hence why the temporary switch to Cerenia

5. Linda and Bear Man

Linda and Bear Man Well-Known Member

I have not used Cerenia tablets, only the sub Q injections, and I am not familiar with dosage, as the vet measures out the syringes for me. I know that she has always given Bear and Teddy a "half" dose, but I'm not sure what it is.

I know that you can use it for 5 days in a row max, then have to take some time off. It can also be given concurrently with Zofran, from what my vet told me. I have found Cerenia to be very effective for nausea in my cats, though I have found that it sometimes doesn't kick in until after two doses are given.

Girlcat may be correct about approval for cats, but my vet has been giving Cerenia to cats for some time now.

I'm not familiar with the use of phenobarb, but as far as I know, there is no need to separate doses of Cerenia from zantac and bupe.

6. carolynandlatte

carolynandlatte Well-Known Member

These are my responses in your Lantus condo:

7. chriscleo

chriscleo Well-Known Member

cleo's oncologist attended a conference at which they said longer term use of cerenia was actually okay. i had cleo on it for a while before it stopped working and we started zofran and then anzemet (there's a warning on anzemet with people -- heart issues -- so i'd be leery of it for cats for now).
    dose sounds right to me. cleo was half rocket's size and she got 1/4 pill cerenia SID.

injectable famotadine (pepcid) might be a good idea you could explore with your vet, if you don't mind adding another med. between that and the cerenia or ondansetron, cleo's nausea was reduced substantially. she got the famotadine BID.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.