1/4 Tigger PMPS/349 took mandatory .25u reducie

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Tigger's Friend, Jan 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tigger's Friend

Tigger's Friend Well-Known Member

Good Morning, LL! :coffee: :coffee: :coffee: Happy Caturday!

Tigger's been scampering about this morning before breffis, you wouldn't know he broke his blue/green run & is back in same-old pinks today. We're hoping he decides to come down today, & also that the v. close reductions won't make him lose momentum. Need to pull out those patience pants!!!! :roll:

I left the insulin pen out overnight 2 weeks ago - we keep our house at 62 at night, but I think from what I've read here I need to stop using it in 23 days, does anyone know for sure? It's still clear w/ no stringy stuff.

DD & Family are coming by to visit DM today - we have a very active DGS - that doesn't work well with DM - should be an interesting day!

Healing, Comfort & Support Vines out to everyone in need, today, & I hope Lucy's feeling better & eating.

2. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Re: 1/4 Tigger AMPS/328 - Left pen out overnight

Good luck with the dosecrease.

Your insulin will probably be okay. I think we are taught to take very good care of it, and do, and that it isn't quite as fragile as we think. If the BGs don't seem to be coming down as I would expect, I will sometimes try a new pen, and if all is the same, then I will often just go back to the old pen if there is still plenty left in there.

I hope you have a good day, even though it will be interesting.
    ;-)

3. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

i did the same thing dyana is describing, but i doubt being left out one night is going to harm it. you can try from a new pen and if it makes a difference, make the switch, but it's probably not the pen causing his higher numbers. if the insulin still looks good, it probably is.

4. Ann & Tess GA

Ann & Tess GA Well-Known Member

Tigger is probably just bouncing to goeve you free time to deal w/ all the family. I think everyone leaves insulin out some time or other. The 28 days is mfg recommendation, because that is how they tested it. The 28 days is also for insulin that is not refrigerated. w/ the extra care we give it it can last much longer. What I have found is that when we get to less than 1/3 of a pen I start to se wonky numbers, but Tess gets so little that we usually get about 60 days on our Lev.

5. Tara & Buster

Tara & Buster Well-Known Member

When are they going to develop a way to test the insulin? Seems like a no brainer to me. It's been my experience that when the pen is bad the numbers start going all over the place, not just up. As others have said, it can't hurt to try a new pen. I often do that if I have any suspicions whatsoever.

6. Tigger's Friend

Re: 1/4 Tigger AMPS/328 +4/65 Pen still good!

Thanks, Dyana, Julie, Ann & Tara!

I think you're all right! 28 days out isn't the same as 1 day out.

Insulin's good today - 278 to 108 in 2 hrs, then 108 to 65 in 0:30. :lol: If I didn't know Tigger, I'd think it was the insulin as Tara says. Or - it could be "C" - ALL of the above! :lol: :lol:

I think I'll open the new pen & start it, so we're used to it in advance, just in case.

Gravy for now & a re-check in 0:20!

7. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Re: 1/4 Tigger AMPS/328 +2/278 +4/65 = Pen still good! :)

I've left mine out over 6 hours before and while I was at the hotel during mom's bypass surgery, it froze and it still seemed to work fine. (it wasn't frozen really hard though..running it under cool water defrosted it so it could be used)

I don't think it's quite as delicate as we think it is....which isn't saying we shouldn't be taking VERY good care of it though. We know taking very good care will let it last longer, but just leaving it out a short time (or freezing it) doesn't seem to damage it

I see Tigger wants to join the cliff diving club with China! That's quite a dive there!!

Hope you're having a great Caturday and the fast dive won't set him up for a big bounce

8. Tigger's Friend

Re: 1/4 Tigger AMPS/328 +5/65 +5.5/49 +5.75/40 Dose advice

Thanks, Chris, tigger is definitely a cliff diver today!

I messed up tho', too much family & making lunch, trying to deal with Tigger, got confused.

+5/65 = fed 1T gravy

+5.5/49 = didn't feed- set timer for 0:20 min, but must have been another 0:10 between shot & food - I didn't feed - set timer for another 10 to do full 0:30 because I was "sure" Tigger would come up :roll:
    We were having a problem with DGS outside & I wasn't paying as good attention as I should

+5.75/40 = 1T gravy & 3 drops syrup - was saying "goodbye to DGS & Family -& came in to a 40. ohmygod_smile

Re-test in 0:15

So - this is 2 cycles in to a reduced dose - is it the depot shed or should I reduce again? Not sure what to do tonight!

Thanks for any advice!

9. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Re: 1/4 Tigger AMPS/328 +5/65 +5.5/49 +5.75/40 Dose advice

Tigger wanted your undivided attention today and didn't want to share you :cool:

I think it's probably the shed from the higher dose, but lets see what his next few tests are like, and see if others have opinions to chime in. Because it's so late in the cycle, if he's a little higher next test, I would just give him a little LC to get him on a surfboard.

I

10. julie & punkin (ga)

Re: 1/4 Tigger AMPS/328+5.5/49+5.75/40;0:18/34;0:10/44 Dose?

i see a 34 on the ss now - if i'm reading that right and it was after a tablespoon of gravy + 3 drops of syrup with the 40, i would absolutely take a reduction.

it might be that moving from 2 to a skinny 2 wasn't enough of a reduction before. in any case, you don't want to hold a dose that brings him into the 30's.

dyana is wise - so often more tests clarify everything.

11. Tigger's Friend

Thanks, Dyana - had a big scare just now.

Re-cap:
    +5/65 = fed 1T gravy
    +5.5/49 = didn't feed (thought 5.25 instead of 5.5) :sad:
    +5.75/40 = 1T gravy & 3 drops syrup
    0:18/34 = 1T + gravy & 4 drops syrup
    0:07/44 no food - will re-test in 0:10

Whew - was a little tight there for a few minutes - got the carrier out to go to the ER.

Tigger, appears to be doing fine - I need a heart transplant & a drink nailbite_smile - oh, & a new set of shorts :oops:

12. julie & punkin (ga)

i would still give some carbs with the last test. not a tablespoon, but perhaps a teaspoon of gravy.

13. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Yikes Tigger - what timing! :shock: :shock: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I agree with Julie. That 34 means business. I count 3 cycles into this new dose and think that maybe he wanted a full .25U reduction last time instead of the skinny.

Deep breath, change clothes and put the adult beverages on ice. But help yourself to chocolate now. :lol:

14. Tigger's Friend

0:10 / 43 = fed 1+tsp gravy & 1 drop syrup, re-test in 10.

Thanks, Julie & Wendy! if Tigger stays in the 40's, I'll give a tsp gravy q. 0:10 min. until he is up over 50, & depending upon the drop will add syrup.

OK. changed shorts ohmygod_smile . No chocolate - am still shaking. I don't know how members have done the 20's - I'd have a cardiac for sure. Tigger just drops SO FAST.

:?: I'm thinking I should do a .25u reduction tonight, even if Tigger bounces to the Heavens, & then re-group from there. But - maybe it should just be 1/8u - But I don't want to be stupid again. I'm open to all ideas........

15. Wendy&Neko

Re: 1/4 Tigger AMPS/328+5.75/40;0:18/34;0:10/44 0:10/43 Dose

I think that .25U is a great idea. A full .25U reduction is recommended for a drop into the 30's. As the saying goes, you can always go up if you need to.

How was Tigger behaving through all of these shenanigans?

16. julie & punkin (ga)

i agree - a full 0.25u reduction. i know you're reluctant to lose momentum, but i think he really needed the full 0.25u reduction last time. he's telling us clearly now that he needs less insulin.

17. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

I agree with the 0.25 reduction. He told you he was done with this dose, with that 34.

18. Tigger's Friend

Approx. +6.5 (0:10 from last test) = 52 - no food, re-test in 0:10

Thanks & Thanks Again, Wendy & Julie!
    -You're right - I will give a FULL .25u reduction tonight - that's what protocol says anyway, & I want to follow as much as possible. I agree - I'm more comfortable with a .25u reduction. Now I guess I can say Tigger holds his reductions ;-)

Am starting to relax a little.......Not as scary as the surgery drop, Wendy (I'm indebted to you for that), but it was getting there....scary when the syrup didn't work.

19. Wendy&Neko

You only waited 18 minutes after giving the first syrup, sometimes it takes a little longer to kick in. But I'm glad it did. And so happy to see those 50's!

20. Tigger's Friend

Re: 1/4 Tigger AMPS/328+5.75/40;0:18/34; 0:10/43 +6.5/52 0:1

ALSO THANK YOU, DYANA! Sorry, I didn't see your post :oops:

@ Wendy - yes, I was too nervous to wait any longer to re-test- I've only used syrup 1x before - the surgery night you helped us - & I'm not used to how Tigger responds to it. When he starts dropping 1 point a minute below 50, I freak out. :?: Is there a specific time to wait when they're below 50 & given syrup - or ECID?

@ Wendy - Tigger was fine through all this - he hangs out on the bed (instead of under) when DGS is here, so he was chillin' - he likes to sleep on my robe, & when I come in we play with the belt - which he did, but he didn't like being pulled out of his warm spot to test every 10 min. But, he accepted it all in his good-natured orange-cat way cat_pet_icon

Spankey, however, is really miffed because Tigger got all the goodies this afternoon & he didn't get any - usu. they both get eats & treats together to avoid sibling rivalry, so I'm on the "OUT" list :lol:

21. Tigger's Friend

Re: 1/4 Tigger AMPS/328+5.75/40;0:18/34; 0:10/43 +6.5/52 +7.

+7.5/99 - looks like we're out of the woods for now, but this is not a big bump from all the sweets Tigger's had.

We're off to town - opened 3 cans of gravy & only have 1 left :eek:

Good thing I ordered # 600 test strips!

tHANKS AGAIN eVERYONE FOR HELPING US THROUGH THIS & WITH TONTIGHT'S DOSING DECISIONS!

22. Rachel & Chyna (GA)

Rachel & Chyna (GA) Well-Known Member

Re: 1/4 Tigger AMPS/328+5.75/40;0:18/34; 0:10/43 +6.5/52 +7.

I'm glad Tigger came up for you! What a stressful day :shock: . I hope that adult beverage is nice and cold for you now ;-) Tigger, it's time to surf safe for your beans now, you both need a pokey break! Hope you have a nice rest of your evening :D

23. Tigger's Friend

Thanks so much for visiting, Rachel - I told Tigger to listen to your post!

Tigger's bounce so far wasn't as high as I expected from that 34 - we'll see if he still goes up tonight.

We took our mandatory .25u reduction after the drop to 34 this afternoon. Hopefully Tigger's depot will have drained enough & he'll have a nice but uneventful evening.

Thanks again Wendy, Julie, Dyana for the advice today - we couldn't be here without you all! :YMHUG:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.