1/5, Boomer, +11.5=87 - Advice?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Traci and Boomer, Jan 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Traci and Boomer

Traci and Boomer Well-Known Member

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1292&p=10607#p10607

I will retest at AMPS, but it's gonna be one of those day where I'm scared I think. I will be at work and not home to +11. I'm going to need help on this one. I'm not feeding him although the poor thing is hungry.

2. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

when do u have to leave for work? Soon after AM test? An hour after?

3. Monique & Spooky

Monique & Spooky Well-Known Member

Hi Traci,

I know your going to check in 30 min. so you kinda gotta wait till you see that before making a decision.

I have a few questions...First your dose is now .25U right? (In your sig it say .5U)

Last night on a .25Uf (looking at SS) you got a 50 at +2.5, He didn't go below 50, but I would think that combined with a low PS this AM (assuming he is still under 100 in 30 min) you could try the next dose decrease, something less than .25U (call it .125U) or whatever.

Hopefully someone else has an idea too.

4. Monique & Spooky

Also do you leave food out, or have a timed feeder?

5. Traci and Boomer

Re: 1/5, Boomer, +11.5=87, AMPS=89

I am feeding him now.
    I do have a timed feeder and I need to leave in 10 minutes but I need that time to put on makeup and do my hair - I'm late.

How about I do less than .25? Yesterday was a weird day. What do you think? I won't be home for a LOOOOONG time.

6. Ronnie & Luna

Can't tell you what to shoot -sorry - but I can tell you which ever choice you make, please leave plenty of food available, there's no doubt about that. Would you be able to get in another test right before u leave and post it?

7. Monique & Spooky

I know you going to be away until evening. The last dose is usually called the .1U or fat o, or a drop, and it is just that, a drop of insulin.

Here is the picture of it [​IMG]

Basically fill you syringe to the .5 mark and then slowly onto a paper towel push out 4 drops, there should be about 1 left. When you inject keep the plunger pressed on the syringe until after you withdraw it from the skin (otherwise the drop gets sucked back into the needle).

If he has acess to food it is unlikely that he will go to low. The question is what will he be at PMPS (hopefully not to high).

8. Fleapunk

Fleapunk Member

If you can get an "Out the door" check that would be great, I'd also leave food in a a readily available pile in case Boomer needs to snack before the timer times.

9. Traci and Boomer

Hi Guys-

I'm scared. I gave him about .25 - definitely not more. I hadn't seen the incredible picture and explanation by Monique and Spooky. I would have done the drop thing.

It's hard to work full time, stay up to 12 freaking out about a potential hypo, wake up at about 2AM to check, then get up in the morning and go to work! Then do my LONG hair so I look presentable and check for update on here. So I gave him .25. I hope he's gonna be ok.

I left out two piles of food - he's not as ravenous as yesterday - and more in the timed feeder.

I know you guys aren't vets or psychics but do you think he'll be ok? I looked at my SS and I shot a .5 on a day when he was 77. nailbite_smile

Fleapunk: it's great to see you back here! I thought you took off or something. I miss you bossing me around! :roll:

10. Monique & Spooky

He should be just fine. He has food available and .25U is a pretty small dose. Most just get a kittle hungry when the BG is getting lower and they will eat if needed (assuming they have a normal appitite usually). We worry more than they do.
    *Anybody know where hilary & maui has that Dear Mom thing about beans worrying? :D

I sure hope you come home to a nice green number.

11. Roni and Moonie

Roni and Moonie Well-Known Member

IMHO a cat will eat if it feels itself dropping..Hope you come home to a great green number.. :mrgreen:

12. Traci and Boomer

Hi there-

Thanks for the reassurance. He's been different over the last couple days. Eating like a HORSE, playing like an energizer bunny, lightening fast paws - I'm like "what have you been snorting"? But he also seemed scared when I tested him last night-trying to get away which isn't the norm. Then this moring he was hungry but didn't wolf the food down like last night. He ate 2 entire cans of FF in about 15 minutes last night. This morning took a little help with the nutritional yeast on top - like cheese. He really likes that stuff.

So does the 50 he got last night really mean another dose reduction? He went from .50 to .25 about 3 days ago because he got a 47, then last night he got a 50, but that was with a fatter .25 (if there is really such a thing) because it's so inexact. Do I base his dose on the 50 or wait to see what he is tonight? I can't get a nadir unfortunately. confused_cat

13. Monique & Spooky

I think you have to wait and see. Yep it was a fat .25 that brought him to 50 so perhaps a skinny .25 is better. At this stage the trick is to try and stay in the green and give insulin until you can't give anymore. That means
    1. a smaller dose is impossible to measure (less than a drop) and he goes to low
    2. You are giving the smallest dose possible and get no readings over 100 for 7-10 days

Just try to give something a little less than .25U, it's not exact, just try to be consistant. wait and see what he has for you when you get home.

14. Ronnie & Luna

here ya go!
    Traci - read this! :)
    viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1388

15. Traci and Boomer

:lol: Yes, I've seen that once before on the old board; it's hilarious and so true. I printed it to mail to my mother along with a bunch of other stuff so she can get more educated.

I hope you guys are on the board later tonight cuz I may need some "expert advice"...just kidding. ;-) LL has been slower since the "issue" a few days ago. I hope people aren't upset and they come back and post!

16. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Traci:

Remember that you shot 0.5u on 12/30 and your PS values were pretty much the same or lower. Boomer surfed. This is exactly what you are looking for -- for Boomer to spend as much time as possible in green numbers. If you cut the dose, you mess with the shed. Keep reminding yourself, "Shoot low to stay low." It also sounds like Boomer will eat when there's food available. You've got the feeder set. Roni suggested leaving some additional food out, which you did. He'll be fine.

The 50 last night is not below 50. Numbers less than 50 earn a dose reduction. This is one of the reasons we were cautioning you about giving too much food. There can be a food spike -- Boomer might have earned a reduction but with a can and a pouch of food on board, you brought his levels up immediately. It's really hard to not want to jump into rescue mode. With a 38 last night, Gabby was not in the least bit symptomatic of a hypo. She was just hungry. Even with being hungry, I fed her 1/8 of a can of LC with some HC gravy on top. When I tested after that point, she got a little bit (1/8th can) to keep her surfing.

Monique's technique is a good one. I would just suggest that you practice with your syringes since it may not be 4 drops that make up 0.5u.

17. Fleapunk

Fleapunk Member

Shave your head. :lol:

Boomer will fine, you shot an 89, left out fuds and did your hair. It's all good. :mrgreen:

18. Traci and Boomer

Re: 1/5, Boomer, +9.75=102, PMPS=111

Hi Fur Friends,

I shot .25 tonight. He isn't as ravenous tonight as last night and he left some food in the auto feeder. Just when I think I know what's goin' on! Thanks for helping me through the day when I was scared.

19. Libby and Lucy

Libby and Lucy Senior Member Moderator

looking good!!!

FWIW, I agree with the regular 0.25 dose. He did drop kinda fast with the little bit of extra fat on the dose, and it may be that he would have dropped anyway (without the fat) to earn a reduction. I would suggest trying to hold this dose steady(without doing fat and skinny) for at least a few days, unless he drops low again. Great shooting!

20. Traci and Boomer

:thumbup
    Thanks Lib, I agree too. I'll be patient. .25 it is!!!!
    I need to just chill out and trust in the process.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.