1/5 Leo AMPS 192

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Carolyn and Spot, Jan 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Carolyn and Spot

Carolyn and Spot Well-Known Member

Hi, I am here because Jill told me to. :lol:

I do not have an updated spreadsheet for Leo, not because I don't love you all, which I do, very much, but because I haven't updated it since like June. So I thought that I would put up a condo so you can all have an update on King Leo.

For those that don't know Leo, he's an acrocat, which causes insulin resistance in him. That's him in the avatar, he's a rescued stray, and I've had the honor of having him in my home for a smidge over a year now. He's a very large cat, probably 22 lbs or more now, very tall, very long and with more hair than I've ever seen on a cat. His dose is extremely high, 25.5u Levemir, but it's not nearly as high as it used to be (40u), so we are all very happy over here, with bg's ranging from 120-240ish. He has a few medical conditions that go along with his acromegaly, such as cardiomyopathy. He's arthritic and this summer went through a terrible bout of hepatitis. Aside from all that, Leo is a very sweet, very handsome, very special and very happy cat. His hobbies are eating, purring, laying on tissue paper and being next to me.

For those that do know Leo, he's doing very well. Every day is much the same as the day before, and that's the way we like it. :) He likes to go outside, but now that it's cold, we are finding that his blood has thinned and he stays outside approximately 36.2 seconds. So much for a NJ cat huh! We do not go to the cardio, and in fact have not been back since the first appointment. Dr. S prescribed Leo a lifetime supply of enalapril for his heart and also put him on an aspirin regimen twice a week. I talk to his primary vet, Dr. T, quite often and even have her on my friends list on FB so she can follow his progress. I watch him closely for signs of organs not working so well and so far have thankfully seen nothing but improvements all around. I am still not working, so I have to pick and choose what I can pay for, which is in this case, rent and insulin and not vet appointments. I do know that the fabulous Dr. T will help me out, but I am trying not to push that too hard!

Here's a recent picture of Leo enjoying the snow:
    http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/22 ... directlink

I hope everyone here is well!

2. Jen and Oreo (GA)

Jen and Oreo (GA) Well-Known Member

Thank you for the Leo update Carolyn. I was just thinking of him after being in the Feline Diabetic gifts app on FB and seeing his handsome face :)

Squishes to King Leo!

3. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

Leo is gorgeous Carolyn! Thank you for visiting us with his story!

So uh...any spotchecks? :lol:
    party_cat

4. Libby and Lucy

Libby and Lucy Senior Member Moderator

Leo's here!!! I love Leo. He always sounds so HAPPY. Love happy kitties.

I didn't realize his dose had dropped so much, that sounds like a good thing. Thank you for the update and the picture. Now I won't have to turn you in to Jojo. :mrgreen: And you KNOW she would catch up with you.

5. Linda and Bear Man

Linda and Bear Man Well-Known Member

I enjoyed seeing his photo and reading your profile. He is magnificent. Thanks for posting.

6. Helene & Tizon

Helene & Tizon Well-Known Member

Wow! What a dose... my brain cannot comprehend those large doses... unbelievable!
    Sounds like he's doing fantastic, that's wonderful.
    Cheers to a great mamabean and scritches to lovely Leo!

7. Carolyn and Spot

Carolyn and Spot Well-Known Member

thanks everyone! and yes, Ronnie, I get a before bed spot check every night, I promise :D

8. D and Noisy

D and Noisy Well-Known Member

Wow Carolyn, he looks so great out in the snow. Nice to see you and Leo here.
    You are truly amazing!
    Love
    D

9. Roni and Moonie

Roni and Moonie Well-Known Member

Hey you guys--Good to see how well Leo is doing & how great he looks--Having a cat that's comfortable, reasonably well, & happy is what this place here is all about! You are a great momma bean! Thanks for sharing.. dancing_cat

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.