? 1/7 Archie AMPS 472, +2 452, +4 257, +5 187, +7 122, +8 100 - Alphatrak readings / levels for SLGS

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by cmb, Jan 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cmb

cmb Member

Hi,
    I would like to follow the SLGS method - but in the sticky it says to use a human meter. I'm confused - the spreadsheet seems also to be configured for Alphatrak. How do human meters compare to the Alphatrak and what's the reasoning for using human meters for SLGS instead?

Today's nadir (I think - let's see what his +9 looks like) is 100 on Alphatrak. In the sticky on SLGS it says if his nadir falls below 90, then decrease the dose. So I wonder if on a human meter, he'd already be at 90.

Thank you for all your advice!

2. Stacy & Asia

Stacy & Asia Well-Known Member

You can use an AT meter, some people do. It’s generally recommended to use a human meter because both the TR protocol and the SLGS method were developed using human meters and thus it makes them easier to follow and some would argue safer to follow doing that. There is no way to equate the 2 meters, pretty much what is known is that 68 is the safety number on the AT, whereas it’s 50 on a human meter. The numbers are supposed to be closer on AT vs a human meter as they get lower. Most people also use a human meter for financial reasons, human strips can be a fraction of the price of AT. The numbers don’t have to be exact or match up with another meter, you are looking for trends and using the same meter day in and day out, no matter the meter, will give you that.

It is, of course, entirely your choice which meter you are comfortable using. Many of us started with AT (myself included) per our vets advice and switched over to human meters after a few punches in the wallet buying strips. ;)

ETA: I believe the 90 in SLGS applies to human or AT meters, so it doesn’t matter, 90 on either, 90 on both.

3. cmb

cmb Member

Yeah, the $$$ tag is pretty hefty for Alphatrak strips.

4. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey Well-Known Member

That is correct.

You can do SLGS using an AT, but it's a little harder, and frankly, we have a more difficult time guiding you because of the differences in the readings. Another downside of using an AT: you can't run to Walmart at 10 pm when kitty is running low and you are out of strips. You can do that with a human meter.

That said, it's your cat and your wallet, so you have to do what you are most comfortable with. We'll do our best to help, no matter what.

cmb likes this.
  5. cmb

cmb Member

@Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey - thank you! The thing is - we don't have a walmart anywhere near (San Francisco). Which human meter (available on amazon ideally) do you recommend? Don't they need a lot more blood than the Alphatrak? I've been squeezing poor Archie's paws just to get the Alphatrak full.

6. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

Are you unable to test his ears?

I used a Bayer Contour with my two. I bought the strips on Ebay - people that got them through insurance would sell their oldest ones, but I always used them up well before the expiration date. You can find strips for it at most drug stores (but cheaper on Ebay). It didn't take a lot of blood, but more than some of the Relion meters (Walmart) do.

cmb likes this.
  7. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

8. cmb

cmb Member

His paws are just way easier (blood pools better, no hair, no petroleum jelly, and the amount is much more predictable - in the ear I would get sometimes so much it would drip down his face).

9. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

Well, if he doesn't mind it, I guess it's whatever works! My boys would have never let me poke their paws.

10. cmb

cmb Member

11. cmb

cmb Member

I love Abyssinians!

12. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

Does he have a history of ketones or DKA? The strips for those meters are as expensive as the AT strips. :eek: Much cheaper, and easier if he will let you, to get some ketostix from the drug store and test his urine if you are concerned about ketones. The recipe for ketones is not enough insulin + not enough calories + infection or inflammation. Here is a great post Jill did about ketones, including testing tips.

cmb likes this.
  13. cmb

cmb Member

@Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey - thank you so much! When we first brought him to the vet, I caught a urine sample of him stress peeing in the car and it contained ketones. That's why we were sent to the hospital to do the blood test for ketones. The blood test was negative for ketones. To double check at home, I've been using urine strips that Dr. Elsey sent for free with their Health Monitor litter. I've tried once to get a 'clean' urine sample using this wax pebble litter (it doesn't absorb) but all that got me was that he peed on our couch instead in the litter box.

14. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

:facepalm: Figures.

Cinco was oblivious, even before he went blind, and I could stick the strip in his stream without his noticing. I'm glad I never had to test Harvey (the Aby). He would NOT have put up with that!

cmb likes this.
  15. Stacy & Asia

Stacy & Asia Well-Known Member

I don’t know if this is available on Amazon or not, but we also don’t have a Walmart and this is the same as one of the Walmart meters (rebranded). You get a free meter with purchase of 200 strips. This website also has very inexpensive testing supplies: lancets, strips, syringes, etc. I find I can get everything I need there (besides insulin) much cheaper than in stores or other online sources:

https://www.adwdiabetes.com/product/4045/arkray-glucocard-01-blood-glucose-monitoring-kit

cmb likes this.
  16. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

And if you do go into a Walmart, I believe you can use the Relion test strips in it.

Stacy & Asia likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.