1/8 Webber PMPS [262] +4 [319]

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by paige, Jan 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. paige

paige Well-Known Member

Good morning all.

Got a BG of 350 this am but after he ate a little (ate less then 1 hr ago very little). Would it be safe to go ahead and shoot 0.5 units and go to work? Or should I let him go until tonight when I am here to check. I can come home a couple of times from work to spot check.

http://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1601

2. Nicole & Baby

Nicole & Baby Well-Known Member

Re: 1/8 Webber AMPS 350--should I start?

Yay......you got a BG #, way to go!!

3. Carolyn and Spot

Carolyn and Spot Well-Known Member

yup 1/2u should be just fine :)

4. Carolyn and Spot

Longer version of my answer

I know you had to get to work so I gave you a quick answer and you can read this later:

1. You have to start him, as soon as possible. 350 is not a crazy number at all, but it *is* over the renal threshold, and sustained numbers that are untreated can lead to ketones. You can read all about those in the wiki about feline diabetes. You'll see a ton of stuff that's important and you will retain approximately 5% of it LOL Don't worry, this is a huge learning experience for everyone so don't feel like you have to remember everything right away. Most important is you get him under treatment to both prevent further, and also to heal the current, damage that occurs to the body while diabetic.

2. 1/2u.. In my opinion, which should not be confused with a medical opinion, Webber is not running high enough to warrant a very large dose in the beginning. You can always raise this dose, but for now, just get him under treatment. You'll need around a week at a dose to see if it's working. You will need to exercise patience that you never knew you had. You will rail and scream and whine and moan and worry. His numbers might even go higher than they were when he was NOT on insulin. It's normal, just stay your course.

3. Read read read. As I said above, this information is so hard to remember, but it's so necessary for you to know what you're doing for his health. Read the health links from the forum index, read the stickies, read other people's condos.. and then go back and read it all again. If someone says something you don't understand, ask them. They'll all be happy to explain, and no one at all will think you're stupid for asking. You should see some of the questions I asked LOL :)

Have a terrific day at work and I can't wait to see how Webber does this week :)
    ..C

5. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Gee, I get to write, "Shoooooooooot"!

For future reference, test - then feed. You want to make sure your pre-shot test is not influenced by food. At a BG of 350 it's probably less important but as Webber's numbers come down, it will be important to not have a number that could reflect a food spike.

6. paige

paige Well-Known Member

I gave 0.5 units. On my way to work. Will update SS and subject line as well as everyone else when I get to work. Going to check on him at +3 and +6.

Thanks!

7. Monique & Spooky

Monique & Spooky Well-Known Member

Just make sure you know where the 0.5U mark is!!!! nailbite_smile

Good luck and have a good day! What time (in +hours) will you be back home to check him? Just curious that's all.

8. paige

paige Well-Known Member

+3 is 11:30am CST and +6 will be 2:30pm. It is 8:45 here now.

9. Sara & Magnolia

Sara & Magnolia Member

Re: 1/8 Webber AMPS 350--gave 0.5U

It looks like you are doing a great job, Paige! Keep it up!

The 2 things I have found most important, are the reading and the patience. Oh, and the support you get here. Even if you have read everything, and have the basic understanding of FD, it's still nice to have someone else with experience agree with you!

10. Nicole & Baby

Congrats, Paige & Webber..wishing you both a beautiful, blessed day! Anxious for you both!

11. paige

paige Well-Known Member

Thank you all for your encouragement. My DH and I tried twice to get a BG before I fed him but was not having any luck. Then when I was getting ready to leave the house, I just had an uneasy feeling. I REALLY wanted that AM reading. I got one of my older/larger gauge lancets and a different pen and tried again. He didn't even feel it. (I think that I will use the pen from now on :mrgreen: ) Then I got the 350!

I was pretty sure it was safe to give the 0.5U but I wanted some reassurance.....so I logged on and posted here. And you all came to the rescue within 1 minute. I really love this place :YMHUG:

I will be leaving pretty soon to go home and check his +3. Wish us luck.

12. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

You did good Paige!

You got a BG and before or after food, the important thing is you got a BG! As you become more comfortable with the process, you will be able to get into a routine and it will get easier. I promise you that.

And glad that you can come home and get some tests in during this cycle. Will be interested to see where it takes him.

You're doing good! And yeah don't worry about trying to figure it all out at once. This stuff takes time to understand and honestly can be confusing, especially when you read about the protocol and how things should work and then your cat does the opposite of the norm.

You will learn and you will understand and soon like with BG testing, this will become a routine. And if you ever don't get something (believe me there is a lot I still don't get), just ask. Nobody will laugh or think anything bad of you. This is a safe zone to ask questions.

OK I can't necessarily guarantee nobody will laugh, some of us have really warped senses of humor, but it is a safe place to ask questions!

13. Nicole & Baby

20 more minutes!! Thinking of you & anxious to see your BG +3 cat_pet_icon
    Off to run some errands & will check in...

14. paige

paige Well-Known Member

Re: 1/8 Webber AMPS [350] +3 [254]

Our +3 is 254.

Glad to see that it dropped almost 100 points in 3 hours.

Really nervous to see how it will be +9 nailbite_smile

15. paige

paige Well-Known Member

BTW -

Stupid question alert------I gave him some catnip. Is that okay?

16. Amy and Six

Amy and Six Well-Known Member

Wow, big drop in 3 hours...will be interesting to see what the day has in store for you and Webber.

It's nice you can run back and check on him throughout the day. Looking forward to seeing the +6.

Catnip is way ok to give!

17. Monique & Spooky

Monique & Spooky Well-Known Member

as far as I know catnip is fine. Is it legal catnip? :lol: Never have figured out what that stuff really is, it didn't do anything for me huh?

Webber is still in a comfortable zone, things shouldn't happen too quickly, he probably still has some of those hormones floating around from the 4U's the vet gave (that his liver kicked out to keep him safe). will be interesting to see where he goes at your next check.

18. paige

paige Well-Known Member

I may not be be able to get the +6 reading. I know since this is out first day it is important, but do you all think he will be in danger if I can't get home for +6.

I will for sure be there for te +9.

19. Nicole & Baby

BG is looking better, YAY!
    Makes me nervous though to give Baby any today..thinking I might need to wait..since she just had 5units (OD)
    I cannot have another day like yesterday!

20. Roni and Moonie

Roni and Moonie Well-Known Member

Just leave food out in cas Webber does drop, diabetic cats do need some food left out for them when we arent there--Great +3 you are getting somewhere already--Whoo Hooo!! HUGS~! :razz:

21. paige

paige Well-Known Member

Thanks Roni! When I left there was still some wet food on the plates. The +6 is only one hour away so we should be good. Maybe I can slip out of here a little early ;-) Shhh, don't tell anyone.

I will update with my next results, probably 4 1/2 hours from now.

22. Carolyn and Spot

He's gonna be fine, he's on a nice steady drop. Looking good!! You have all weekend to pop numbers for us, so don't panic about the ones you can't make it home for.

100pts is a good size drop for a first day (technically ;-) ) dose - however you did feed before his test this morning so you might have caught a food spike on that test. No harm done and 254 is a quite lovely +3. Woohoo Paige, you have really outdone yourself with all you've done for him so far.
    :RAHCAT

23. paige

paige Well-Known Member

Carolyn you are sweet. I did test after he ate a little, but it had only been maybe 20 minutes or so since he fed and he really wasn't that hungry to begin with.

This day is going by soooo slowww. :YMSIGH:

As soon as it hits 5pm on my clock I am outta here to go and get my +9 reading.

24. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

Doing good here Paige Looking forward to how the evening goes for Webber!
    :D

25. Nicole & Baby

Like Ronnie...I am so excited to hear your +9 reading...only wish things would have went so well for Baby & I!

26. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Keep in mind, for most cats, +9 is past the lowest point of the cycle. Webber will be fine.

You might want to think about a timed feeder, especially if there's always the chance you can't be home during the day. That way, if Webber isn't a grazer (Gabby will eat whatever is there), the feeder will open at programmed times.

27. paige

paige Well-Known Member

Re: 1/8 Webber AMPS [350] +3 [254] +9 [203]

Well our +9 reading is 203. I was hoping for the 100's but we still have +12. With the 4U at the vet it was at +12 that he read the lowest. Only time will tell.

28. Carolyn and Spot

YAY! Nice number chickadee.

And you were *not* hoping for the 100s, and here's why. Let's say you got home and he was 121. That's a 225 point drop. With Lantus, you're looking for a flatter gentler curve, like around 100pts. Ish. A 225 pt drop would make Webber feel like he'd been sailing the high seas and he would not be a happy camper. YOU would not be a happy camper tomorrow when he went screaming up to 425 because his liver overreacted and rebound kicked in. I promise you that you were hoping for a 203. :mrgreen:

((((hugs!))))

29. paige

paige Well-Known Member

That actually makes sense. I guess I don't want him to shoot down quickly. Thank you for reminding me of that!!!

30. Barbara and tuffy

Barbara and tuffy Well-Known Member

Paige: you are doing fine. Takes a few days to build the shed. Relax, it will all soon be "old hat". Remember around here help is only a keyboard away. Welcome to LL.

31. Amy and Six

Amy and Six Well-Known Member

You'll get used to the higher numbers in a couple of days. At first, thought I wasn't doing enough to lower Six's numbers, but everyone kept telling me "patience" and would point out the progress that has been made by referring me back to his spreadsheet. Once you start collecting that data you'll see the trends and become more comfortable with higher numbers (cause you know you're working on getting them lower).

I think it was a very respectable "first" day for Webber! Well done.

32. Nicole & Baby

Absolutely Awesome Paige & Webber!!! So proud of you both..anxious to see the +12 here shortly!!

33. paige

paige Well-Known Member

Re: 1/8 Webber AMPS [350] PMPS [262]

+12 PMPS 262!!!

Went ahead and shot another 0.5U.

Way to go Nicole and Me!!! Awesome I see your 250 BG.

34. Carolyn and Spot

Woohooo!! Nice PMPS, can't wait to see AMPS! Don't forget to get at least one number tonight, and if you can only get one, make it right before bed :)

Sweet dreams!

35. paige

paige Well-Known Member

thank you. I am planning on getting one around +4 or 5.

36. Nicole & Baby

Congrats Paige...low & slow like suggested :mrgreen:
    You both are doing great!!

37. paige

paige Well-Known Member

Thanks you too.

38. Libby and Lucy

Libby and Lucy Senior Member Moderator

Re: 1/8 Webber PMPS [262]

nice day for Webber, just right. :D

39. paige

paige Well-Known Member

I have a question about my injection schedule.

Ideally I want Webber's injections to be 7:30 am/pm

Today we started at 8:30 am/pm.

Would it screw him up if I began to change tomorrow to the following?
    Saturday Injection Times 8:00 am/pm
    Sunday Injection Times 7:30 am/pm

40. CD and BigMac

CD and BigMac Well-Known Member

Perfect. That's how we do it. A total of one 30 minute change per day. Or you could shoot earlier by 15 minutes per cycle, which is also just a 30 minute change per day. I found that the one 30 minute change was easier for me to remember.

41. paige

paige Well-Known Member

Re: 1/8 Webber PMPS [262] +3 [319]

Darn :sad:

But this is his first day. Is this expected? I was afraid that my PM shot was just shy of 0.5U but I think I am just a paranoid newbie.

42. pjstroop

pjstroop Member

Re: 1/8 Webber PMPS [262] +3 [319]

Hi Paige! Welcome to LL!

Could be a food spike too...
    Hang in there! Right now it's data gathering time.. :mrgreen:

I'd get a +4 and see if that number isn't a little better..

43. paige

paige Well-Known Member

Oops. I just updated the subject line. It was +4.

44. pjstroop

pjstroop Member

Looks like a good night for sleep for the both of you.. I bet Webber is already sleeping ;-)
    Get the sleep while you can!

Right now you are filling the shed and soon enough the numbers will adjust...
    Here is some great information on the Lantus shed..
    viewtopic.php?f=9&t=150

Hope you wake to some nice numbers in the AM!

45. paige

paige Well-Known Member

Good night Paula. Thank you, I will sleep better.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.