1/9 Baby PMPS 282 + 1.5 209 +4 92 +4.5 147 +5 131

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Nicole & Baby, Jan 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nicole & Baby

Nicole & Baby Well-Known Member

Baby, Sadi & I made it thru what a "low & slow" first 12 hours feels like...
    Just gave her .5 for her AM Dose. She is eating breakfast & we are all going back to bed..5:45am on a Saturday : )

2. Monique & Spooky

Monique & Spooky Well-Known Member

Re: 1/9 Baby AMPS 243

Sleep good! Very nice AMPS, she should give you some nice numbers today.

Hope you have a nice breakfast to when you wake up again, I just finished lunch!!!!

3. Michelle and Mannie (GA)

Michelle and Mannie (GA) Well-Known Member

very nice numbers, nice surfin' for baby. flip_cat i hope she (he?) has a great day today.

have a great rest, great breakfast when you wake up.... 5:30 Am here, time for mannie's amps +1, maybe some breakfast for me too.

btw: you guys are doing great!

4. Roni and Moonie

Roni and Moonie Well-Known Member

Looking like great amps today Nicole! You & Baby are doing soooo great..Let's see some nice blue numbers today-OK Baby? :mrgreen:

5. Nicole & Baby

Re: 1/9 Baby AMPS 243 +3 220

Thanks, everyone! She sure loves the color yellow!! I keep telling her Green is my favorite, but we can meet in the middle at Blue! Things are going great...all the way around, just ready to see Lantus work on her BG#s, since she was already in the yellow prior to starting...
    I know it takes time..be patient...will reread the Lantus stickies!! I hope all of you are doing great!!

6. Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA)

Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

Nice AMPS for Baby...enjoy your reading... :D
    You are doing a great job!!!

7. Michele and Esse

Michele and Esse Well-Known Member

Read up on "filling the shed". The concept is that there is a time period (each cat is different) where there is enough insulin built up to cover the needs all the way round the clock. Sometimes, the shed fills quickly; sometimes it fills slowly. Once the shed is filled, you will start to see the flat curve that Lantus is famous for; some movement in numbers, but no drastic drop or raise.

Don't worry if you don't see changes right away; or, if you do see changes right away after changing a dose, it may not hold (New Dose Wonkiness, or NDW). Take a look at Esse's ss and you'll see some really bizarre, wide changes, and some high flats...but you'll also see some breakthroughs (mostly this last 36 hour period). It does take time, and patience, and what's most important is how your cat is behaving; in nursing school, they say "look at the patient, not the monitors", and it holds true with kitties as well. 'Course, that doesn't mean anything when the numbers are so weird; you can't help but look at the monitors...but the end decider is how kitty is doing (how patient is doing). I had a patient that I was ready to call in all the backup I could find - his BP was 63/36 (according to the book, that meant he was unconscious and close to death). Then I took a look at him...and he was there in the bed, reading the newspaper, drinking water, no complaints of anything. LOL...and yes, while I did go get the docs, it wasn't the mad dash screaming with my hair on fire that was my initial reaction. LOLOL.

Just trying to show that while monitors are important, what is most important is how the patient (the kitty) is acting. Is all well? The 5 p's in order? Take your cue from Baby...and go from there.

Hang in there, Nicole. You're doing well (and I suspect you've managed to eat something by now...)

Best-
    Michele

8. Nicole & Baby

Thanks, Michele - that makes complete sense! Yes, I have eaten & had some sleep :thumbup
    I am still nervous about going to work on Monday & not being able to spot check..because if she were to drop suddenly - I would not be here- that is the only thing I am still freaking out about. I will shoot & then go to work & be home nearly 9 hours later...

9. Michelle and Mannie (GA)

Michelle and Mannie (GA) Well-Known Member

I know how you feel - i deal with this 5 days a week, as I leave at 5:30, am not back home until 4PM. a long long time... be sure to leave food out - so important. I have discovered with Mannie that he knows when he is going low - and always looks for food, and will eat what he needs. after a while you will see a pattern to their cycles, and know what to expect, what to do.

you're doing great!

10. paige

paige Well-Known Member

Nice yellow's there Baby. Give he some <<hugs>> from Webber.

11. Nicole & Baby

Re: 1/9 Baby AMPS 243 +3 220 +6 221

Still seeing yellows, my Baby's Body sure does seem to surf the 200's, I feel blessed we are not in the mess of the other night, but disappointed that we are where we were before even beginning insulin - there is no difference & I want Baby in the Blue then greens :-Q

12. Libby and Lucy

Libby and Lucy Senior Member Moderator

Patience. :smile: You've read the stickies and understand the storage shed/insulin depot? And how we have to increase the dose methodically following a protocol so we don't have a repeat of the other night? The other thing that doing slow increases does is it gives you confidence that your dose was reached in a safe fashion, so when you have to go to work you can trust that Baby will be ok. There's a method to our madness. :mrgreen:

Most cats have to work up to a breakthrough dose before they start seeing blue/green. Rarely is the very first dose that breakthrough dose (sometimes, but rarely). We'll see what Baby's breakthrough dose is when we get there!

13. Nicole & Baby

Libby, your absolutely right & I just have to keep reminding myself of what you all tell me repeatedly :D
    I am happy that I can safely go to work & I am glad it is steady & not all over the board - that has to help her feel good.
    Okay..off to run errands. Thank you!

14. Laura and Quincy

Laura and Quincy Member

Nicole,

If you haven't already gotten one, before you go back to work I recommend buying a timer feeder for Baby. It will give you great peace of mind knowing she has access to food at regular intervals while you're at work. A lot of people here freeze wet food (an ice cube tray is good for this) and then put one or two "cubes" in each timer compartment. I usually use a 2-compartment feeder (there's also a 5-compartment one) and set it to open at +3 and +6. I think a lot of cats know to seek food if they are running a little low. And having the food not immediately available right when you leave work prevents Baby from gobbling it all down within a 1/2 hour of your leaving.

They're not hard to find online or in most major pet stores...

Laura

15. Nicole & Baby

I will look into a timed feeder, I have been leaving frozen food to thaw out while I am at work, but it is barely touched when I get home..they just don't eat much at all & mainly what they do eat is at night.
    Anyway..I cannot belive I am going to ask this question, but I am...

**Taking Cover LOL** Could I leave out a small amount of Evo or Core Dry for during the day when I am gone? I don't want to, now that I FINALLY got her to Raw & canned...but am thinking...

**Also, how do you think she did bouncing back after her OD? I dont know how to interpret just yet since I am still new.

16. paige

paige Well-Known Member

Re: 1/9 Baby AMPS 243 +3 220 +6 221 +9 245

I am lovin babies numbers today. Great job baby and mommy :thumbup

17. Karen and Flo

Karen and Flo Member

I leave out a big batch of canned (mixed with water), and they are fine for the day. If I'm going to be out more than 9 hours or so, I leave frozen out as well. I find that if I leave dry CORE or EVO out, it just gets scarfed up first and there's nothing left for later. Of course I don't have anyone on insulin anymore.... and I do plan to look into a timed feeder so I can get a life (what a concept). ;-)

18. Lindyloo

Lindyloo Member

Nicole you are going to get smacked with a wet noodle!! :lol: NO DRY FOOD PLEASE!!

19. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

i wouldn't recommend leaving out dry... any dry for a few reasons. *most* cats prefer the dry. offering any dry when kitty will eat wet food is counterproductive. providing dry is better than kitty not eating anything, but if the kitty will eat wet food then leave wet out. as long as the dry food is in the house kitty may hold out for the dry. their sense of smell is much better than ours. they'll want it. many of us work so hard to transition our kitties to wet food. we're shooting ourselves in the foot if we leave dry out. having transitioned to canned and raw you took 3 steps forward. why take 2 steps back now? ;-)

you'd have to experiment to see how baby reacts to different foods... how carb sensitive she is. some have found it takes as little as 5 - 10 pieces of kibble to cause a significant rise in numbers. there are even some kitties who are so carb sensitive that their caregivers have to resort to feeding a diet of less than 5% carbs. my cat is one of them. i could only feed alex a wet diet containing 3% - 4% carbs.

baby's doing fine. yes, she bounced after the OD. we expected her to. however, so far today the cycle is relatively flat. "IF" the rest of the cycle remains flat, she may show a little action soon.

20. Lindyloo

Lindyloo Member

Ok didnt mean to yell, just wanted to get my point across :D

21. Nicole & Baby

Linda....LOL I knew that answer before I even asked :lol:
    I cannot belive I even asked!! No way..I will not go down "Dry Drive" again :D

Jill, hi..what do you mean "we might see action soon?" you mean in the #s? If so, I SURE hope so!!

22. Jill & Alex (GA)

yes, i meant in numbers. we'll have to see. baby is so new to this we won't know until we see it...

23. Carolyn and Spot

Carolyn and Spot Well-Known Member

Pay attention to what Jill says. She is psychotic psychic. *ducks*

Go have a drink with Paige, you deserve it after your last couple days ;-)

24. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

I was going to suggest a timed feeder, as well. Gabby is one of those cats who will eat anything that's in her bowl (or Gizmo's). The feeder insures that there is food available at different points in the cycle. She's gotten so good at associating a drop in numbers with food that when I'm home, she yells at me or will follow me into the kitchen and look pathetic to get food when her numbers are coming down.

The feeder may be good during the day as well as over night, if you want to make sure Baby is getting a snack during the night so you don't have to get up.

25. Nicole & Baby

Carolyn,
    LOL you are funny...drinks are most defniitely on the agenda drinking24

I will look into a time feeder over at Petsmart...thank you

**Can I take my Lantus pen out of the refrigerator 30mins prior to shot time, so it is not so cold?

26. Jill & Alex (GA)

i wouldn't. baby's dose is so tiny there's no reason to leave the pen out for a half hour before shooting. hold the syringe in the palm of your hand or stick the syringe (cap on) under your arm pit for 30 seconds to a minute. it'll be plenty warm.

btw, i never did either of those and alex never seemed to mind or notice her shots...

27. Nicole & Baby

Jill, thank you for the prompt response...Baby's PM shot is in 30mins...so pen is staying in fridge.

28. paige

paige Well-Known Member

Nicole! Baby and Webber seem to be having the same responses. Their #'s went down for two readings and the +9 they started going up.

I had the same question you did to Jill "action?" I am ready for some action too.

Way to go Baby and Nicole!!

29. Nicole & Baby

Re: 1/9 Baby PMPS 282

Paige LOL after my 1st Day, that was enough action for a life time :shock:
    But I definitely AM READY for some Blues atleast..it has been 2days!!

30. Nicole & Baby

Experts please.. I have been injecting Baby in the scruff - but people today told me that was not good. So as a newbie, I tried to get creative & do the side of her chest, she yelped & now I am not sure if my Lantus went in. Fur is not wet, no smell to the injection area, but the .5 is so small, I am not sure if it was completely out of the syringe. Please help... is there any spot check I can do to ensure it went in, or should I give another shot so I know it did? I have been looking forward to this shot for the past 12 hours & now I have messed up

grumpy_cat

31. carolynandlatte

carolynandlatte Well-Known Member

Nicole,
    Im no expert, but I can say with certainty that you do not want to shoot again.

Someone else can comment on the scruff vs...where ever.

I shoot an area similar to where I give sub-q's and other injections. Probably pretty scruff like. I need to go shoot, but hopefully someone will post a link with photos of your options. If not, I will try and find them for you later.

Hang tight. You are doing fine!

32. Libby and Lucy

DO NOT do another shot!!!! If it didn't go in, it didn't go in, but never reshoot a fur shot. You have no idea how much may or may not have gotten in.

33. Nicole & Baby

I am not giving another shot - thank you for the quick eyes.

Someone did provide me the pictures already - I thought I had it right..but she yelped & it all went so fast..should I test in an hour or so to see? She is eating now..so that might not tell me anything..if there is a food spike.

34. CD and BigMac

CD and BigMac Well-Known Member

A lot of people do shoot the insulin in the scruff..or between the shoulder blades. It may not be the 'best' location according to some reports, but it is perfectly acceptable. Like your Baby, my cat also flinched when I tried a different location, so I went back to scruff shooting.

He did fine, I did fine, we all were happy. Happy kitty, happy me.

As for wanting the blues (100's) right now... who doesn't? LOL!! Good grief lots of kitties were in the pinks (300's) for weeks and weeks before they were able to get to the 200's. A nice level response on insulin will allow Baby to feel better. Take the BG level down, step by step. Imagine walking down a flight of stairs to your goal... much better than sliding down an icy ramp and hitting a trampoline at the bottom and then have to do it all over again. Steps are safer. :D This is what we aim for. Of course bounces will happen, but too much insulin too fast... well you know the answer to that one! Patience grasshopper... you will achieve your goal. :mrgreen:

35. Nicole & Baby

CD, you...like everyone else are always here for Baby & me & I appreciate it. Thank you for your kind words of encouragement, you are absolutely correct that we want step by step..I guess I just wanted out of yellows, since we had yellows without Lantus...BUT...I need to remember with Lantus...we can HOPEFULLY get out of yellows : )
    Hope you are having a fabulous, blessed weekend!! Turning on the patience here...

36. CD and BigMac

There ya' go, I knew you were an intelligent chick. You got it! We have to find the perfect dose... let the pancreas heal and pretty soon that Mr. P (pancreas) will take over and let you know to get rid of those needles. :D

My kitty started in the reds... stayed there on insulin for a bit, then hung around the 300's a while.. etc, etc. But the first days on Levemir (similar to Lantus) seemed just the same as without insulin. It was like I didn't do anything, or was shooting water. Not long after that I saw some action. Every cat responds differently, but don't worry about having the same numbers today as before the Lantus. It's perfectly normal.

37. Nicole & Baby

Re: 1/9 Baby PMPS 282 + 1.5 209

CD, that is valuable information too.
    I checked at 1 1/2 hours to see if the shot I gave was successful..looking like I did get the injection in her. Happiness here. # is even after eating 1/2 can of food & treats.

38. paige

paige Well-Known Member

Nicole - I have been injecting in the flank. It is pretty easy to grab the sides of him and create that "tent". It is amazing to me how they don't even feel it.

We have real troopers for cats. :RAHCAT

Ok, now going to chill and watch a blue ray with my amaretto sour. See you later?

39. Karen and Flo

Karen and Flo Member

I used to just grab a little fur, pull it out, make sure I had a good skin visual and shoot. I wasn't very good at the tent thing. I moved around a lot--side of belly, flank, hips, etc. I did occasionally get a squeal out of her, but only a very few times.

40. Nicole & Baby

Cheers, Paige! Most definitely see me later...just glanced @ the clock..has Webber had his PM? Will look at your thread...
    Karen..good to know too..I think I am going to try shooting in each area to see what works for Baby & I.

41. Nicole & Baby

Re: 1/9 Baby PMPS 282 + 1.5 209 +4 92 NEED ADVICE

Jill is right......ACTION... now I am scared.... having flashbacks to our 1st OD night. She just ate Nature's Variety Raw Rabbit & seem to really have an appetite (unusual for her)
    so I tested 15 mins shy of 4 hours... BAM..beautiful #, but not so sure if we are supposed to be here yet.
    Same dose..gave shot in side of chest versus scruff. Please advise on when to BG Test again.

42. paige

paige Well-Known Member

Someone will come along but remember my Webber dropped 100 point after the his +3 yesterday. Maybe not using the scruff did make a difference. Hang in there.

43. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

More for your peace of mind than anything else, I'd check in 30 min. It's good that you fed some LC food. Remember, do not feed huge amounts. You want a few bites -- one or two teaspoons is fine.

44. Libby and Lucy

this is PERFECT. :smile: You can test again in 30 minutes if you're nervous, to see how she responded to the low carb food.

45. Cassandra and Sasha

Cassandra and Sasha Well-Known Member

Beautiful number and just fine for right now. If you fed a LC snack, that's great. Test again at +4.5. :smile:

46. Jill & Alex (GA)

looking good here! thought we'd see some action tonight. :D
    for future reference... when you see a drop @ +1.5, don't wait til +4 to retest, k?
    ps number and +2 should be around the same number. if you're seeing a drop by before +2... that's a real clue she'll be dropping.
    see you in 30 minutes...

47. Jen and Oreo (GA)

Jen and Oreo (GA) Well-Known Member

Lookin' good :)

48. Nicole & Baby

Re: 1/9 Baby PMPS 282 + 1.5 209 +4 92

Jill, you are psychic! I pray this is not another night like our first. I am scared. Will test 30mins post that BG test. Took NEED ADVICE out of subject -
    Thank you all for your very quick response. Now I am really not liking the idea of shooting & going to work..this stuff can happen fast.

49. paige

paige Well-Known Member

Breathe, you still have more hours tonight and all day tomorrow to see how it plays out.

50. Jill & Alex (GA)

i can understand why you're feeling scared, but please trust me...
    there's nothing to be scared about. what's happening here is good!
    cassandra, libby, carolyn, and i are all here...
    we'll hang out with you tonight.

51. Nicole & Baby

Re: 1/9 Baby PMPS 282 + 1.5 209 +4 92 +4.5 147

Thanks, everyone...for replying so fast... sensitive after the other night & now...with going to work & being gone for 9 hours post shot. What do I need to do here? I will not be able to get a BG Test in after our AMPS 4 days a week... I know to leave food out..but this is seeming scary for a newbie.
    I trust in you all.

**When do I BG again tonight?

52. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

How about doing a dry run tomorrow? I'm assuming you're back to work (aka "the bad place" - tbp) on Monday. Test and shoot as you would on Monday. Leave food out. Go ahead and test during the day, but don't leave more food out than you would if you were gone for the day. If Baby's numbers are running a little low, you'll be able to observe what she does. Then you'll know. If you're still concerned, we'll help you brainstorm.

53. Jill & Alex (GA)

i'd retest in an hour, but i have to ask...
    what did you feed baby and how much did you give her. that's a pretty big rise...

54. Libby and Lucy

((((Nicole)))) you're doing fine. The nice thing about weekends is that they give us a chance to do some testing so we can better predict what will happen during the week. We always consider the bean's individual circumstances when suggesting a dose. So far this is not too low at all, 92 is an excellent nadir and the regular low carb food bumped Baby up really well (a lot, actually). That is really good information to have - now you know that regular food can help bump her up.

I know you're worried about the other night, I would be too. But this is a very different situation because it's a WAY lower dose of insulin so it won't affect her for as long as the 5 units did. The reason that was an emergency, and this is not, is because with all that extra insulin on board, we didn't know how long it would take for her numbers to rise. Tonight's cycle is much more typical.

Questions? Ask away!

55. Nicole & Baby

Sounds good...about tomorrow.
    She had Nature's Variety Raw Rabbit & some freeze dried chicken sprinkled on top. She is a grazer..eats very little & ALWAYS walks away from food...
    But this evening...she ate 3 plates full..which gave me the clue to test...3 plates sounds like a lot, but they are very tiny pieces I give...so if Raw came in a can..just to visualize...maybe 1/4 of a 3 ounce can.

56. carolynandlatte

carolynandlatte Well-Known Member

I am nervous everyday I walk out the door, even after a few months of this. One plus you have going for you is that Baby has proven to want food when dropping. Not something that is guaranteed in my situation, or a handful of other folks in the group. I hope that boosts your confidence a bit! :mrgreen:

Once you see more cycles, you will learn how your cat responds to various situations (food, onset of insulin, large/small drops, bounces, etc). And once you think you understand, baby will change it on ya! ohmygod_smile

I understand your fears tonight. But I also know you will be okay. The courage you showed and the outpouring of support you received makes it clear you can make it through anything...including going to work next week.

Hang in there!

57. Nicole & Baby

Libby...thank you! You all have made me feel so much better...I will try not to over react..I just don't know what to expect & thought she would surf blues before getting a green. I know ECID & it is a science (not always predictible) but my screw up on OD & the newness has me hyperventilating :shock:
    30 mins will be 1 hour.. I will test again then...

58. Jill & Alex (GA)

good info to know. sounds like baby is pretty carb sensitive... which means it shouldn't take much lc to bring her numbers up.
    another good thing to know is baby felt herself dropping and ate. this should help you feel better if she starts to drop while you're at work. as long as you leave food out it sounds like she'll eat. you're collecting all sorts of good info tonight!

59. Nicole & Baby

Good points about collecting info tonight (for which I am grateful), will also make tomorrow look like what Monday will (excellent idea) & thanks again for all the support... see you in 20 mins... :dizcat

60. Nicole & Baby

Just did the +5, Baby is snoozing & now eating some Wellness Chicken Canned...
    I am thinking it is safe to go to bed...what do you think Jill?

For what it is worth... you are all AMAZING.. just hours ago..I was disappointed in yellows & was told by Jill.. there would probably be ACTION soon... Jill.. you could not have been more correct. How you knew..I will never know..but thank you.

61. paige

paige Well-Known Member

Congrat Nicole, good nite.

62. Nicole & Baby

Paige.. thank you.. we will see... hopefully!
    In spite of all this..anxiously awaiting Webbers +3 if you plan to...

63. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

The first time Gabby had a flat yellow cycle, Cassandra and Miriam warned me to be prepared to see some "action." It's almost like our kitties are gathering up steam for an upcoming busy cycle. I don't know if there's a technical explanation for it or if it's just the years of experience that people like Jill and Cassandra and Libby and others have with the cats here along with looking at thousands of SSs, but that kind of experience is something I've found is worth paying attention to.

64. Nicole & Baby

Sienne, absolutely! Baby has been in yellows the majority (even off Insulin) so..yellows are normal for her...to see Lantus working after just a few days is amazing..in spite of newbie jitters. Thank you for your support & words of wisdom too.

65. Jill & Alex (GA)

i think you're fine to go to bed, but leave food out for baby to nibble on.

kitty's don't always do what we think they'll do, but every once in awhile we get it right! lol! fwiw, some kitties see action on the second cycle following a flat cycle. eventually you'll pick up on baby's patterns... and just when you think you have it figured out... she switch it up on you. :mrgreen:

66. Nicole & Baby

Food is out & it is lights out here.....I need a few days off to recover from my days off...
    I know I say it in every post I post......but my gratitude for your expertise & support is more than words can begin to express.
    Have a beautiful, blessed day & night..... o:)

67. Libby and Lucy

ni-ni Nicole. You did a great job, again. :smile:

68. CD and BigMac

Good night. Have a great day tomorrow with your Baby.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.