1/9 Checkers AMBG 68 OTJtrial Day 11

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Lukewithcats, Jan 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lukewithcats

Lukewithcats Member

Checkers is doing good. still has an increased appetite but his numbers seem to be stable still which i find surprising with the increased calories/sugars coming in. I'm just starting to add small amounts of pumpkin to his food to keep him regular. Anyone with experiencee i would love to know how much you are adding each feeding. I need to make frozen packs probably one per day that i take out the freezer so i need to figure out how much to put in each pack.

Other then increased appetite hes in great shape. Clearly the change in diet to low carb was enough to knock him back to how he was, he mostly just gets friskies pates with the occasional whiskas one. are there any advantages for me to raise carbs a bit to see how he does? Do cats need carbs at all? I know they generally survive off pure meat in the wild, would that mean they eat really no carbs naturally?

I'm sorry i haven't been posting much, its very boring now, I'm back at work and checkers is doing well on his AB's. Not sure if its them leading to increased appetite or what but when i took him to the vet hospital last week he had lost abit of weight since the last time he was weighed probably around diagnosis (decemeber 18th or something). I had hoped he would have gained a bit back, his backbone was pronounced and with how fast his treatment turned around I just figured he would have gained back abit. This increased appetite will lead to what i hoped I'm sure I just hope this is a hungrier checkers and not just checkrs on a AB's.

As always thanks everyone here, you helped save my cat I think and i would be heart broken without him. I never stop thinking of you guys and your help. I assume from the way vets seem to respond to feline diabetes its not the most common illness so i'm glad this community is here to push the boundaries of home care. I also think being a vet they are used to people not wanting to spend much money on their pets and wanting to spend time on them even less so I think this community is basically where the people not like that have come to help eachother.

Now I'm in double digits with great numbers i'm pretty happy. Even after the trial i will continue the same testing routine until checkers is clearly off the AB's as I have to verify that goes ok and see what the long term effect of increased appetite will be.

last post

jayla-n-Drevon likes this.
  2. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

In the wild, the only carbs our cats get comes from the stomach of the prey they eat, so while it's normal for them to get a very small amount, it's not something they have to have to survive. Since Checkers is doing so well on the Friskies he's on, I'd just keep him on it

Congratulations on day 11 too!!! Almost "officially" OTJ!!!

jayla-n-Drevon likes this.
  3. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Congrats and you should be doing the happy dance.

4. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Congrats on day 11. That is great.
    Re the pumpkin. I have been adding it to Sheba's diet for about 2 years or longer. I cook my own....not sure if you buy the plain tinned or make your own.. Just plain pumpkin and cook in water. Nothing else added, drain well and mash. I put it into small containers that last about 3 days and freeze.....and I put in her food about 1 teaspoon ....not heaped.....twice a day. You could build up to that and see how you go. You could try freezing in ice trays as well.
    Sheba also lost weight and muscle mass along her back when she was first diagnosed but she has gained it all back over time. You could try adding some plain steamed or gently boiled chicken to her meals...that would not add carbs but add good protein or try a little raw meat. The protein will help build back the muscle mass.

5. Melanie and Smokey

Melanie and Smokey Well-Known Member

Congrats on day #11 :woot::D

6. Paula

Paula Well-Known Member

Congrats. on day 11:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D Go Checkers!!

7. Doodles & Karen

Doodles & Karen Well-Known Member

Great report for Checkers we're soo happy for Day 11! He will be the first of hopefully many OTJ kitties in 2016. I agree with the 1 tsp of pumpkin and most do twice a day. Pure canned pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling ) is fine if you don't want to make your own. As with anything I recommend going slow to see how he reacts but really it's good for pure regulation...both diarrhea and constipation. Some cats will eat it, some won't. Doodles like anything changes his mind from meal to meal.

8. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Happy Day 11!
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

9. Tara & Ivana (GA)

Tara & Ivana (GA) Well-Known Member

Day 11, wow! Well done :woot:

10. jayla-n-Drevon

jayla-n-Drevon Well-Known Member

wohoooo gooooo Checkers!!
    if you don't cook or just want to have some on hand
    fruitables makes a good canned pumpkin with enymes (4-5$)// and//// weruva makes small pouches of 100% pumpkinā€¦.(1-2$)

11. Anne & Hyde (GA)

Anne & Hyde (GA) Well-Known Member

Go Checkers go - can you smell the falls? I bet you can from here !!

12. Michelle and Mannie (GA)

Michelle and Mannie (GA) Well-Known Member

13. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

Go Checkers! Today must be day 13!! Get ready to PARTY!!! I'm already preparing the party menu.

~ Chef Rusty

14. Judy and Boomer

Judy and Boomer Well-Known Member

You've got this Checkers!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.