1/9 Logan AMPS 386

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Kelly & Logan, Jan 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kelly & Logan

Kelly & Logan Well-Known Member

Yesterday:
    viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1748

Not sure why his AMPS is so high - maybe b/c he was due for pain meds. He had his 50 ml of food this morning. He's so good about the tube feeding. He also got his pain meds & metronidazole. He ate a couple tsps of FF on his own plus a tsp or 2 of a FF appetizer.

I think I'll try to get him to eat a little on his own between tube feedings today. He's now on a 3 times a day feeding schedule.

Happy Saturday - hope everyone enjoys their weekend.

2. WCF and Meowzi

WCF and Meowzi Well-Known Member

yes, pain can raise bg's. some a/bs and other meds may too.

glad he's eating a little on his own. and that you guys are managing the tube feedings well. lucky kitty to have such devoted parents :)

did you get a chance to catch any more ketone readings?

3. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

You are so good with Logan. I hope he's recovering well. I'm always amazed at how resilient cats are.

4. Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA)

Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

I, too, am so happy to hear that he makes an effort to eat on his own...that in itself is great news to me!!!! :D

My heart goes out to you two and all you have to do to take care of him now....wonderful love and devotion...and
    bravery/courage too!!
    ((hugs)) to you both....
    and a special hug to Logan who is being so brave also!!! Hope you all have
    a good day today....sending healing vines for your beautiful boy!!! :YMHUG:

5. Linda and Bear Man

Linda and Bear Man Well-Known Member

I hope he continues to improve and that he eats a little on his own today.

6. Randi & Max (GA)

Randi & Max (GA) Well-Known Member

Good Morning Kelly.
    I too ma glad to se that Loga wants to eat on is own. That is so important and
    a huge accomplishment.
    I know with all your love and care he will be on a great road to recovery.
    Looking out for you guys.

7. Libby and Lucy

Libby and Lucy Senior Member Moderator

it sounds like the eating is going well, that is good news!

I hope Logan has a quick recovery.

8. Kelly & Logan

Re: 1/9 Logan PMPS 383

Think we'll get some spot checks in tonight and/or tomorrow to see if he's moving at all. If not, we'll go ahead and increase his insulin. He wasn't too interested in any food tonight. He's not due for his next tube feeding for 2 1/2 hours. He did eat some baby food, though.

He doesn't move, at all during the day. He just stays on his comforter behind the couch. Is this normal? He is on pain meds, so maybe they keep him that lethargic? Right now, it's probably best that he doesn't move around a whole lot so he doesn't hurt himself or pull his tube out.

He finally peed - hadn't gone (that we know of) since last night! Ketones were negative. Yay. He also pooped - liquipoo, though. :( He strained to go. I felt bad for him, but maybe it'll be easier the next time.

9. carolynandlatte

carolynandlatte Well-Known Member

Hi Kelly,
    I wouldnt expect him to want to move around much at all. Not feeling great in the first place, fresh out of surgery/anesthesia, pain meds, more food than he is probably used to lately, and this strange thing inserted inside him. Im quite certain it will pass and you will notice Logan feeling so much better, acting more himself. But it will take time. The hardest part is believing and waiting.

In the meantime, just keep loving the stuff outta him! :mrgreen:
    When Latte was in the midst of the ARF, I felt so helpless. She wouldnt move. If I left the closet door open she would go in there all day/night. I made her as comfortable as I could, talked to her, pet her, offered food, and threw her toys around the room a lot. She wouldnt play with them, but seemed alert and interested enough to watch. Maybe roll some balls accross the floor, swing a string or feather around gently, lay some cat nip near him.

One day (still in 'poor prognosis' stage from arf), she got up from her spot, walked to the back door and asked to go outside. It was cold (Feb), but a little bit warmer than usual and the sun was shining. I let her out, thinking it may be the last time she would enjoy it. I laid a tarp and blankets on the porch for her to lay. Well, the cat that she is, she found a better spot and laid there all day long. :D That was one of the most meaningful moments I have ever had with her.

I guess Im sharing this with you because I know how hard and scary it can be to go through something like this. It's just very, very important that you focus on all the good things, no matter how little they may seem. You are already doing a pretty darn good job of that. I just wanted to remind you to continue, in case frustration and fear decide it wants to take over.

You are a rock. And Logan knows you are doing everything you can for him. He loves you all that more for it. Dont doubt you will form an even stronger bond as you go through this process.

10. Kelly & Logan

Carolyn, thank you for sharing your experience with Latte and your kind words. They mean so much. I try not to think beyond the next tube feeding and try to take it day by day, but it's so hard sometimes. I worry that he'll never fully recover and I won't get my little Logi bear back. Waiting and believing are hard! I hate feeling so helpless. I feel like nothing seems to make him feel better. I try to love on him as much as he'll let me. I took a nap next to him this afternoon and will sleep on the floor with him again tonight. I'm dreading having to leave him alone next week while we're at work. We'll have to put the cone on him to make sure he doesn't pull the tube out or mess with his incision. :( I think we're going to put him in our closet - he always likes hiding in there and it'll be nice and quiet...and away from the other two cats. They're hissing and growling at him.

I just want to make him better! I'm glad we put the tube in, though. I hate to think how much sicker he would be getting right now if we weren't able to get food into him that way.

Thanks again, Carolyn. I know the people here on this board understand what it's like to go through something like this.

11. Nina and KB

Nina and KB Well-Known Member

Poor little guy. Being quiet is probably good for him right now. So glad he wants to eat some on his own. Maybe by the time he starts to become more active he'll be eating more.

12. WCF and Meowzi

Re: 1/9 Logan PMPS 383

Yay for neg ketones.

Is he prone to liquipoo or did this just start after the surgery? Is he on any antibiotics? Sometimes they can cause havoc on the GI system. If it continues, ask your vet for his thoughts on adding probiotics.

13. Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA)

Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

It is good that he moved his bowels and urinated although it might not seem like a lot to you now, that is important after surgery, right? Your closet plan sounds good.....he will feel protected and comfy in there...the scent of the hospital an all is all over him and the others react to that...
    I think it is good that he is taking it easy too...healing takes time. You are being so strong and doing such a wonderful job...
    just thinking of you napping next to him...Aww...so sweet. I know you wish you could do more...but what you are doing is important and it is working..... :smile:
    It is good to stay in the moment although our thoughts stray....try to picture a white light around him....a healing light...bathe him in it and try not to focus on what you do NOT want....but focus on his body healing itself and feeling better....rest is good for him now!!!
    ((Kelly))

14. Kelly & Logan

He had the liquipoo prior to the surgery. He'd had it for a few days prior. The only AB he's on is the Metronidazole, which he's been on for about a month now. I was giving him fortiflora when he was eating. Perhaps I should add some to his tube feedings?

Pat, I like your suggestion of seeing him surrounded by a white, healing light. I will try to picture that and think about his body healing right now.

15. WCF and Meowzi

hmm i'm not familiar with flagyl. i think linda and bear may be, or cassandra?

re: fortiflora, best to talk to his vet before adding.

re: being picked on by the others, if it's b/c of the hospital scent, handy tip from jojo: take a towel and rub on logan. then take same towel and rub his scent on the others. now they'll all have same hospital scent *evil grin*

16. Kelly & Logan

I will try the towel idea tomorrow!

Had our last feeding of the day - went pretty well. We got some purrs before and during. Time for bed. I'm sleeping on the floor with him again. I don't want him to be out here alone all night.

Hope everyone has a good night!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.