? 1/9 Titan ; Question on flea & tick meds

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by MyTitan (GA), Jan 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MyTitan (GA)

MyTitan (GA) Well-Known Member

Hello everyone, does anyone have experience using Revolution or Frontline on diabetic kitty with any adverse effects? Titan appeares to have a case of Miliary Dermatitis and in his compromised situation we are wondering if it is safe to dose him. He has a vet appt. next week to confirm or diagnose what he has (and do his senior panel) but we were thinking since its tyme to dose the civvies we would dose him also. We have seen this before on Howard and it was cleared right up away with flea med and prednisone. That's begs another question, prednisone and a FD cat. Any info would be appreciated. :cat:

2. Mandy & Rex (GA)

Mandy & Rex (GA) Well-Known Member

I can't help with the flea medicine question.

When you give pred to a cat, it's better to give prednisolone because prednisone is converted to prednisolone in a cat's body before it can be utilized. It's easier to omit the middleman and go straight to prednisolone. :)

3. LuanneP

LuanneP Member

I've used Advantage & it's the only one I'll use & not on a regular basis only as needed. Merry has had it applied & he was fine with it.
    I prefer not to use anything but sometimes we need to in order to get a handle on the little buggers & for some reason I found a couple fleas on Merry a while ago but not on my other cats. One dose of Advantage did the trick.

4. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I don't know about Revolution or Frontline. I also use Advantage when needed. Any time you have to give a steroid to a FD cat, it will raise the BG. You'll just need to adjust the insulin dose.

5. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

I've used Advantage on China too....never any problem so I doubt if there'd be any problem with the other topicals

The problem I hear most about Frontline is that it's not effective anymore....the fleas have evolved so that it just doesn't work as well

MyTitan (GA) likes this.
  6. Chubba (GA)

Chubba (GA) Well-Known Member

We just started using frontline after hearing some negative things about pet armor. Haven’t had any issues.

7. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

I've always used Frontline Plus because it works on ticks as well as on fleas (to my knowledge Advantage is specifically for fleas). Never had problems, but I don't like to use these things on principle.

MyTitan (GA) likes this.
  8. Kako & Tux

Kako & Tux Well-Known Member

Tux used to use Advantage. It didn't work. We switched to Comfortis that is a tablet given by mouth. It's not cheap.. but Tux needs 1/2 tablet since he is under 12 lbs. It works wonderfully! :cat:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.