? (1)Anyone do diff am/pm insulin doses? (2)anyone use dex?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by apple, May 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. apple

apple Member

Is there anyone that give diff am and pm insulin doses?

I know the standard fdmb is don't; it messes with the depot. Got it .....and as he goes through this part of his dex dose down, his little body needs the differentiated dosing, it's that simple. For 10 to 14 days this is what he needs.

His amps is so much higher than his pmps and I can't spend everyday stalling or feeding to raise bg high enough to inject.

The dex dose is given in the evening and too low a dose of insulin makes him miserable. Just miserable.

How did you decide to split the doses? Vet suggested giving 2/3 if daily dose in pm and 1/3 of dose in am. Or keep the dose consistent and use time as the manipulator. Dose the am early (approx 1 to 1.5 hours) and use it as a dose increase.

Anyone dose their cat off dex? Diabetic or non diabetic cat....I'll take either.

Thanks in advance.

2. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Tracey&Jones (GA) Well-Known Member

Jones doesn't take dex but he was on prednisolone in the evening only which would bump up his numbers at night. I was giving 1 drop morning and a F1 drop at night. His dose was so small, I was just trying to get the extra juice in when he needed it. Not sure if that was wise or even worked out well. He now gets the pred BID so I have gone back to even dosage.

3. apple

apple Member

His dex is in the evening. I'm dosing the opposite. More insulin in the am because he is so high in the am. I may need to rethink that and switch. I do more in the am because he's consistently higher in the am.

Thanks

Tracey&Jones (GA) likes this.
  4. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

Noah is on Caninsulin, usually higher AM than PM. I take nothing for granted anymore. I think it's a myth that cats are nocturnal, at least not indoor cats. How that affects their metabolism and whether that affects how the insulin works is something I've never gotten an answer to. Maybe because no 2 cats are the same there is no answer. His food intake is erratic because within 20 seconds of putting his food down Bully cat, who has a bigger proportion of the same food on a matching dish stomps over and takes Noah's. Then the reassuring and drama begins.
    Adjusting the dose. His AM dose is 2/3 or 3/4 of what I would give him for the same numbers PM but I have to consider what I give him PM so I don't wake up to a low number. Obviously a special case. Like you he went scary low last week and now I'm starting all over again. Side Note/Lots of wasted insulin here (makes vet techs nuts) because I preload his syringe for a high number. I do this so it's all done in one sitting and I don't have to drag him out of his private spots after traumatizing him with poking. Even kneeling beside his basket, the time it would take to draw from the vial is enough for him to think "I'm outta here". Everything traumatizes Noah. Now I have to say it, "Do NOT copy dosing". Cat has multiple, serious health issues. His brother was a textbook patient and sat in the car looking out the window. When I got home he would walk from the car into the house, no crate.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.