1 u of Vetsulin to 2 u of Lantus - does this sound right?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by coldenburg, Jun 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coldenburg

coldenburg Member

I am switching my cat this weekend. Getting ready to pick up the prescription and syringes.

Currently, Tommy gets 1 u of Vetsulin. More than that had been causing low numbers. I have recently up'd it to about 1 1/2 if he is at high 300s or in the 400s. However, vet says we are going to start at 2 units on Lantus.

Does this sound okay?

2. Jen & Squeak

Jen & Squeak Well-Known Member

That makes no sense to me whatsoever. I'm assuming that you've been reading all the stickied information over at the lantus group?

3. squeem3

squeem3 Well-Known Member

No, start at just 1 unit twice a day of Lantus. It's safer to start low and work your way up slowly than to start too high and risk a hypo and start all over again at a low dose.

Be sure to get the U100 3/10 cc (max 30 unit capacity) insulin syringes, preferably with half unit markings. Do not use U40 insulin syringes with Lantus because your cat will get the wrong dose.

4. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

You probably want to check in at the Lantus support group also. They can help you out with dosage: viewforum.php?f=9

5. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

hi there

what is your first name? or do you prefer to be called Coldenburg?
    Your kitty's name is Tommy yes?

I remember you guys from back earlier this year, a few scary moments there eh?

here is a link from the Lantus forum...
    A modified version of the Tilly Protocol that we follow with quite a lot of kitties in remission, including my own.
    http://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1581

You'll need to set up a spreadsheet too...here is a link for that if you don't have it already:
    http://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=16

You'll prob be asked for past numbers while on vetsulin, and these are things you can add to your spreadsheet.

A profile of your kitties history, diet and insulin usage is also helpful, to avoid repeated questions, this profile can be added to your signature along with your spreadsheet link.
    Here is a link on how to set up a profile:
    http://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=531

Have you been checking for ketones as well?
    If you are seeing higher numbers, you'll want to check for ketones regularly, especially if you might consider lowering dose.

When you're ready - come on by the Lantus forum, there's always someone around to help you out and guide you along with dosing.

6. Randi & Max (GA)

Randi & Max (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome
    I agree with waht was mentioned above. If your kitt was getting low numbers with 1u of Vetsulin, you should start with 1u of Lantus.

Also, do not use the u40 syringes with the Lantus. You need to get the U100's

7. coldenburg

coldenburg Member

My head is spinning a bit now because I haven't really had a chance to read everything. I have a million things to do including picking up his new insulin and I just tested him at +4 on the Vetsulin and he was at 73 so I can't leave until I know he is okay. It's gonna be a time crunch! From what you all have said and briefly reading on the Lantus board, 1 unit sounds better. The vet told me to come by the office after I get the pen and he is going to talk to me about it, so I will mention it again with him then. I don't plan on starting Lantus til Sunday because I have a party to go to Saturday and I want to be able to watch him all day. Then I have one more week of no work before I start my new job so I hope to have him up and running well on Lantus by then!

His name is Tommy, but I call him Bug. He is about 16-17 and there is a story behind him of course. He was roaming around my ex husbands trailer park trying to get inside trailers - he loves people! He made someone mad and they told my ex they were going to take him and throw him off the bridge into the river. One good thing about my ex was that he liked animals, so he said no let me take it to my mom's farm. Well he did and they tried to let him live in the barn, but no, he likes people too much so he kept trying to get into the house. My kids were about 5 and 6 at the time and we had just gotten a rat terrier/chihuahua mix puppy but we had no other cats. They called me from the farm and told me how much he wanted a real home, so I said they could bring him back. When he walked in, he headbutted (in a loving way) the dog and they were best friends from then on. He was throwing up trash when he first came. I guess he was eating out of garbage and would ingest plastic and foil that were within the food. So sad. He had a bacterial infection from that and vet gave him antibiotics and he has been great since! He worships the ground I walk on and he lets me hold him to sleep at night or sleeps on my pillow or a blanket I have now for him on my nightstand! I am going to try to post a picture, but I had trouble. He is/was solid black. He lost some hair because of a thyroid issue and when it grew back it was brown so he looks marbled now!

8. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

he sounds like a cool kitty!

take your time reading up on everything - its overwhelming, but just take your time.
    There's always someone around here if u need answers! Good luck!!

9. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

73 is a nice low number. It would be good if you got +5 or +6 also. If he continues to stay low, ask your question about Lantus again. The answers might change.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.