10/16 River AMPS 421 +2:346 +4:358 +6:365

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Picknickchick, Oct 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Picknickchick

Picknickchick Well-Known Member

Yesterday

This morning I put him back at 3u. After watching his nadirs, and discounting the bounces, and taking into account his overall behaviour, I thought going back to the last good dose is a good idea. It's hard to differentiate between a bounce and being high because of a failed reduction, but the nadirs and his behaviour were telling me that it was a failed reduction. In any case, I'll be around enough to test him.

Thank you for the help, discussion and encouragement of the last few days. I can't tell you how much I value your viewpoints, and kindness in taking the time to write.

Is anyone here doing freekibble? This has become part of my daily routine.

2. Re: 10/16 River AMPS 421 +2:346

I think this falls into the "know thy cat" category, and I am a big fan of "follow thy gut". We can't see what you see in front of you.
    You've dealt with p-titis flare ups. Does this fit into that category?

Had not seen the freekibble site before, but I just bookmarked it. I did however answer the question wrong ohmygod_smile

Have a perfect Wednesday!

3. PeterDevonMocha

PeterDevonMocha Well-Known Member

Re: 10/16 River AMPS 421 +2:346

Hi guys .. Good luck with the extra juice .. I hope it's just what River needs to come down .. have a great day guys!

4. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Good luck with the dosecrease. I have a hard time telling the difference between a failed reduction and a bounce too. I hope it helps River feel better and stay in better numbers longer.

I've never seen that site before. How cool.

5. Tigger's Friend

Tigger's Friend Well-Known Member

For those of us with bouncey cats, the "failed reduction vs bounce" dilemma seems a constant!

Good you know River well enough to discern by his behavior the difference. Tigger seems to have a narrow dose band that works well for him - & also pushes him into a reduction after a few days. Since we're heading back to that dose again for the 3rd time or so, I'm contemplating a partial increase & see if that doesn't help. Tweaking the TR, tho'.

Thanks for the freekibble suggestion - sounds like a winner!

Hope River likes the dosecrease & will stay in healing numbers - paws crossed!

6. Amy & Papaya (GA)

Amy & Papaya (GA) Well-Known Member

Ah, the eternal question of bounce vs. failed reduction. The numbers alone definitely don't tell the story, like other have said knowing your cat and how he should be behaving and feeling count so much. I hope the increase is just what he needs to settle in some good numbers! You're doing a great job of testing, analyzing and just being aware of how River is doing :thumbup

7. Cleo & Jane (GA)

Cleo & Jane (GA) Well-Known Member

Hope the dosecrease works ~ it helps to know your kitty :D

I also bookmarked the free kibble, had never heard of it!

Jane

8. lovey11

lovey11 Well-Known Member

River I hope this increase is the jump start you need. I am expecting to see some nice posts. ;-)

9. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

I still don't think this is a failed reduction because he cleared a bounce and came down into green 7 cycles after the reduction. I think he is still bouncing but if he's feeling bad at all, that could be adding to his numbers.

A bounce should generally clear in six cycles. If numbers stay high and flat after that, it's a failed reduction. Also, if the bounce clears in less than six cycles, the BG should come down into green. If it doesn't, I'd probably consider that a failed reduction. However, let's say the CG reduces, the kitty bounces but clears the bounce into a lower blue BG, there is nothing wrong with holding the reduced dose a few more cycles and see if the numbers continue to come down.

It is still, as Carl said, a "Know Thy Cat" issue.

10. Picknickchick

A bunch of us were discussing this yesterday, which I really appreciated, and I considered what everyone said, and said that I'd increase .25 if he was still high after one day.
    However, this morning he was sick and high, and I was going to be home all day, decided to increase, just to not keep him sick and high any longer. If he suddenly came down, I'd be here. I could see that he was feeling awful, so I hope he will come down and feel better.

I'm wondering if maybe should not have earned the last reduction, that the problem is that I reduced him too soon.
    Should I be taking a different approach to what = earning a reduction? I've been thinking about this a lot.
    Today's #s are: 421, 346, 358, 365, 387. Having a nadir above 200 is not so great. So I'm assuming he's not really ready for that reduction, as he's been drinking water about every 10 minutes, and has been groggy all day. I have to find something a bit more tolerable for him, fingers crossed!

I'm really open to direction. It's just that the last time he was sick like this, it was a terrible time for me and him. I regret not having listened to my good sense of the whole cat at that point.

11. Tigger's Friend

Tigger's Friend Well-Known Member

Does River have a fever?

12. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

Lara

The info I posted earlier in this condo was just to address questions about a failed reduction vs a bounce.

I think it was a very good decision to increase his dose because I'm not certain that the numbers are solely from the bounce; I'm concerned that he is not feeling well for other reasons which is causing his numbers to stay so high. I would definitely stay on top of these numbers and if he stays high, flat pink, I'd increase his dose by .5u after four cycles.

As far as the reduction, I think you should have taken it. But yesterday I posted:
    I'm very sorry if I confused you...sometimes I get to typing and....duh! What I was trying to say is that I think you should use the three drops between 40-50 (on three separate days, that is) or one drop below 40 for reductions. (The first part of the quote just referred to kitties that have only been on insulin a very short time....like a month or two).

I hope he starts to come down and does not get too much NDW.

13. Picknickchick

OK, perfect, we're on the same page, Marje, chapter and verse.

[​IMG]

I think I just haven't read carefully enough, so a re-reading is in order.

Suzanne, he isn't feverish, but is there something I should know or watch out for?

14. Michele M

Michele M Member

Ugh! hope River gets out of the Stinky Pinky club and starts to feel better soon
    Poor little guy....

15. Picknickchick

Thank you! I want to see some good numbers tomorrow, and a healthier-feeling cat.

16. Well at least he's showing you some yellow tonight. Is he still drinking like a fish? That confuses me...

17. Picknickchick

I was going to say like a sailor on shore leave,
    but no, he's tapered off, and is a happier guy this evening.

I was surprised to see he followed me downstairs, and was telling me to pick him up and put him in his special spot, the cupboard over the fridge, where he oversees the goings-on and demands attention every once in a while. Bossy = feeling good :smile:

18. Pam & Hoot

Pam & Hoot Well-Known Member

Awww, poor River. Sorry to hear he's not feeling good. Hopefully the dosecrease will help bring his numbers down and he'll get feeling better cat_pet_icon
    I'm going to have to go back and read your last few condos (I've been MIA for a few days) as I always learn so much from them.
    Have a nice night Lara!

19. Picknickchick

Aw, Pam, hon, I know you've been really busy, and active with the HMG, and with a killer headache and sleep deprivation. Whenever I mention that I appreciate so much advice and comments, because I know that there's people here who have very busy lives but take the time to reach out, I am referring to you. I can't wait to hear about the upcoming catio. This will be wonderful!

20. RichNW & Rex

RichNW & Rex Well-Known Member

Lara,

Good luck not he dose increase! Hope River feels better really really soon!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.