10/18 River AMPS:419 +2:353 PMPS:445 +2:367

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Picknickchick, Oct 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Picknickchick

Picknickchick Well-Known Member

Yesterday

Although he's high this morning, he's been super-happy-lovey-dovey, and is drinking less.*
    I hope we'll see some good BG action this weekend.
    I hope everybody sees some good BG action this weekend.

I have to get a new vial of Lantus soon. Should I continue to get Lantus in a vial, or should I get a pen? I can't buy individual vials; I have to get a set of 6, I believe it is. That seems like a whole lotta insulin, probably about a year's worth. Will it last that long?

Great news about Bubba!

* My cats heard about Nyan Nyan Feline Wine, and ordered a case online. Despite not having opposable thumbs, they're pretty tech-savvy.

2. donaleen and Ozy

donaleen and Ozy Well-Known Member

Re: 10/18 River AMPS:419 +2:353

We are high together. There must be a better high than this...

3. Picknickchick

Absofreakinglutely.

4. Michele M

Michele M Member

Crushy is up there too
    Bleh!
    guess they all got the same memo

lol @ the kitty wine! you find the funniest links :lol:

5. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm glad River is being lovey and not drinking as much. I hope he comes down for you this weekend.

6. donaleen and Ozy

The expiration date on the vial/pen tells you how long it will last if not opened. A vial will last 3-6 months once it is opened and will usually go bad before it is finished unless the dose is really high. Pens are usually a better deal for kitties.

My original vial is about 75% used (in 3.5 months).

That is the lowdown I picked up here.

7. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Depending on your dose size and how well you keep the pens refrigerated at a constant temperature, each opened pen can last for several months. The unopened ones will last until the expiration date.

8. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

The pens come in boxes of 5...each pen is 3ml, so 300 units. If River stays around the 3 unit dose, each pen would last about 50 days...so 250 days for 5 pens. Kept in the refrigerator, you should get every drop's worth.

The vials are 10ml and 1000 units, and although can be good for 6 months if refrigerated, can start to lose effectiveness earlier and then you have no choice but to replace it. At the current 3 unit BID dose, that'd last about 166 days...so really close to that 6 months.

Of course if River gets with the program and comes down the dose ladder, it'll last a lot longer (hoping maybe he's listening...lol)

Come of River...work that juice! (and Ozy and Crushy too!)

9. Picknickchick

Re: 10/18 River AMPS:419 +2:353 +10:445

Thank you, everyone for your answers about pen versus vial. Is there any advantage of one over the other? I've never tried the pens, but are they, for example, easier to use?

10. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

River, get down here this instant! Paws crossed he listens on the weekend.

I started with a vial, but switched to cartridges, even though we went to even higher doses. In Canada, you can get cartridges, which are the refills for pens. They come in a 5 pack. The pen is just extra stuff to throw away, and more expensive. I think my original vial cost me round $70 and the 5 pack of cartridges was about $98. Quebec may or may not have better prices. I found my best prices at the Canadian Superstore pharmacy.

The advantage with cartridges is that if you drop one, you are risking a lot less insulin. Ditto if you accidentally leave one out or it gets warm and goes bad somehow. I took a cartridge on a road trip and it must have gotten warm because it started to go toasty not too long after I got back. I didn't feel as bad throwing out half a cartridge as I would have half a vial. I was getting over 50 days on a Lantus cartridge, with a smaller dose, and someday River will be there too.

ETA: As for using, cartridges are smaller and lighter so it's a little bit easier for me to use.

11. Picknickchick

OK, cool, thanks a bunch Wendy. I'll give the cartridges a try. I've managed to source the Recovery SA as well, and it's cheaper to get it online (sorry, shopkeepers).

And yes, he should get down! What the hey!

12. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

I've used both and I LOVE the pens. Just remember....don't inject air into the pens as you do a vial.

OK ATTENTION RIVER, OZY, AND CRUSHY!!! Time to stop having a contest on who can drive your bean the craziest first. Let's get with that juice and see some good numbers!

13. donaleen and Ozy

Marje has spoken. Listen up, you guys.

14. Marje and Gracie

Yeah! What she said :evil:

15. Picknickchick

[​IMG]

16. Marje and Gracie

Resistance is Futile.

17. Re: 10/18 River AMPS:419 +2:353 +10:445

Time for River to become assimilated. The Borg queen has spoken.

18. Picknickchick

19. Marje and Gracie

Ooohhh...I LOVE my Heavy Metal Band name: Dark Fury.....inspires fear in the hearts of all new members when I say SHOOOOOTTTTTTT!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Really River? Is that all you got? Come on...down is DOWN! Down is not meter variance. :YMSIGH: :YMSIGH: :YMSIGH:

20. Picknickchick

I now feel like I know you enough, Marje, to say that the first time you said, "SHooOOOOT!" to me, I got a frisson of fear.
    I thought. "Man, she's hard-core!"

21. Marje saying "ShooooooTTTT!!!!" scares me, and I've seen it a hundred times. :lol:

My band is Black Fury.

River,
    Enough already, pal. Time for some blues and greens. It's Full Moon night.

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.