10/19 River AMPS:401 +2:378 +4:355 +5:374

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Picknickchick, Oct 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Picknickchick

Picknickchick Well-Known Member

Yesterday

Still very high today.
    For the past 5 days he's been over 200, and most of the time over 300. I am thinking it's time for more insulin.

2. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Re: 10/19 River AMPS:401 +2:378

Good luck if you decide to increase today. I hope he'll keep heading down.

3. Picknickchick

Re: 10/19 River AMPS:401 +2:378

I am at a loss to figure out what's going on. He was at the vet a week ago, and she gave him a look-over and listened to his lungs. I regret not having had blood and urine done, but he seemed fine, so we just let him be and I said I'd come back in 2 - 3 months. As much as I'd like to manage my cat's diabetes without a vet, I find they're essential for the labs.

I am wondering if I should take him to a vet in my neighbourhood and get the whole work-up, check his blood and make sure he doesn't have a UTI. When he has gone high for a long time, he has contracted a UTI, so I don't want to leave him high. After a UTI it's ketones.

4. Re: 10/19 River AMPS:401 +2:378 +4:355

Having lived thru ketone hell, I think a visit to rule out a UTI is a good idea, Lara. If for no other reason than peace of mind.

5. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Re: 10/19 River AMPS:401 +2:378 +4:355

You know you're kitty. If you're concerned about an infection, then a vet visit sounds like a smart plan.

A couple of thoughts:
    • Make sure there is nothing in the lysine chews that could raise BG. Some of the chewy sort of products contain corn syrup or similar ingredient that keeps them chewy but raise BG.
    • How old is your Lantus?

6. Picknickchick

Re: 10/19 River AMPS:401 +2:378 +4:355

The Lantus is young, and the lysine chews don't raise his BG, as he gets them every day, and has been for over a year.

What I'm saying is that I'm afraid he'll GET an infection if he's over the safe threshold for such a long time, and sugar is spilling into his urine for such a long time, which will lead to ketones.

Increase time?

7. Picknickchick

So yes, increase time.
    I have a course of Clavaseptin here that I'm going to give him, in case he has a UTI, or resp. inflammation that'll be helped by a broad spectrum antibiotic.

8. lovey11

lovey11 Well-Known Member

Hi, River is in my thoughts. I think a vet visit would be helpful. Even if it serves to give you some peace of mind to rule out UTI's and other things that you dealt with.

Lovey was high for periods awhile back and I was worried so I got bloodwork and urianalysis done again. The results were fine.

9. Michele M

Michele M Member

I think you should trust your gut on this one.

C'mon down River!

10. Picknickchick

I just wasted money on a vet visit to give me peace of mind :? so I'm going to give the meds and raise the dose

11. mariko

mariko Well-Known Member

Hi Lara,
    Sending prayers to River that he comes down soon.
    Peace of mind is never a waste of mind, Lara. :smile:
    I also think that raising his dose it a good idea.
    I hope he comes down soon and feels his happy self after this increase.

12. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

Lara

I'm glad you increased....it was easily time to do so.

If he's high for six cycles, it's time to increase. Most bounces clear within six cycles so, if he's high and you don't know if he's bouncing, if it's been six, full cycles and he hasn't come down, I'd increase by the appropriate amount....which you did tonight. Good job!

On the L-Lysine chews, they generally have maltodextrin which FD should not have. They might not be elevating his glucose but I think it's always better to give the pure powder of substances and not the stuff with all the additives.....even my civvies don't get stuff with artificial sweeteners and I try to stay away from preservatives other than natural ones like Vitamin E.

Good luck with the dose increase.

13. Picknickchick

Thanks for letting me know, Marje! I hope an increase, and a course of antibiotics will help him out.

I hear you about the lysine chews, but it's a all-or-nothing proposition, defined by my cats. They hold all the cards on this one, as there's no other way I've found of getting them to take it, and I have been trying for years. I watched the BG carefully, and it's not being elevated, so thank goodness for that at least.

14. Anne & Zener GA

Anne & Zener GA Well-Known Member

Paws crossed for the dosecrease. Work that jooce, River!
    Liz

15. Cleo & Jane (GA)

Cleo & Jane (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Lara,

I hope the doesecrease brings River's numbers down, and the AB wards off any UTIs that may be lurking. I hear ya on the vet visits. My BF's daughter is becoming a doctor, and as exciting as it is, I wish she was a vet! Would be so nice to have one in the "family." :D :D

Have a good night,
    Jane

16. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

Are you able to syringe them?

The reason I am asking is because Tobey has to have L-Lysine and I use the Viralys powder. He doesn't like it in his food; I called the company and they said it was absolutely fine to mix it in water in a syringe and syringe it. So that's how we do it. i just put a 250 mg scoop in a 3ml syringe, add about 1.5 mls of water, shake a bit, and then syringe.....slowly.

17. Tigger's Friend

Tigger's Friend Well-Known Member

Glad you did the dosecrease too, Lara - it was time. I see River's already gone yellow, so he must be diggin' it, too.

No thoughts on a possible UTI - unless he's using the LB more frequently. Multistix (you can order from Amazon) will pick up blood or protein, but not bacteria.

My cats (all 7) don't seem at all bothered by the powdered lysine mixed into their canned food with a little water - sorry it doesn't work for yours. Could you tell them it's contraband??? :twisted:

Paws crossed River does better on this dose - & you, too!

18. lovey11

lovey11 Well-Known Member

Much better numbers for River. Yea!

19. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Lara,
    I'm surprised that you plan to give River a course of antibiotics without having a diagnosis and without even knowing if he has a health issue. Everything that you read cautions against using antibiotics as "preventatives". (for humans as well as animals). If you suspect a UTI, please take River to the vet and have a urinalysis done by centocentesis (needle directly into the bladder; so that "outside" bacteria will not contaminate the sample). The vet will send the test to the lab, which will be able to pinpoint the bacteria causing the infection. Once the bacteria is identified, the proper antibiotic can be prescribed.

I hope that the dose increase will be all that is needed to get River on track to lower numbers.

:YMHUG:

Ella & Rusty

p.s. I buy l lysine (500mg) in the health-food store in capsules, break open the capsule and add 1/4 teasp. of the powder to Rusty's food at breakfast and dinner (I mix water into his food, too). As far as I can tell, it is tasteless. He doesn't notice it.

20. Picknickchick

Hi Ella, I don't suspect a UTI. I'd like to prevent a UTI from happening because of him being high for a long time. High numbers for more than the duration of a bounce make me antsy because of his still fairly recent time in the hospital.

But I do suspect that there's some other inflammation, and I called the vet and asked about the antibiotics and got the go-ahead. I said I'd see how he's doing for the next few days and then get Baytril, if necessary, as the Clavaseptin is so hard on him. I've had his urine cultured several times and have had good success with free-catch into a sterile container, so I can save him having a needle put into his bladder.

I know everybody means well by telling me to get lysine powder, and I in fact have lysine powder, and tablets. Over the last 10 years I've had almost zero success in getting my cats to accept powder or tablets. I've tried putting lysine in tuna, tuna water, baby food, roast pork, pureed liver, pumpkin, and on and on. The little darlins turn up their noses. Then I discovered the tablets. I've cut tablets into 18 pieces and rolled them in pate, and still it's a no-go. The chews are the first thing I've found that guarantees to get some lysine in them, so I'm glad to have found them. I stopped giving the chews for a while because I was worried about them, and then while my cat was low, I gave him a chew, and found it didn't raise his BG. So although they aren't perfect, sometimes we have to go with what works.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.