10/23 Cupcake AMPS 320, +10 99, skip? reduce?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Cupcake, Oct 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cupcake

Cupcake Member

Hello, as You already know, I am an absolute noob here. Having blues today and green at the moment. Will have to shoot after two hours. Shall I be brave and keep the dose? Please, give me Your opinions, don't really know what to do. What do You think about the readings in Cupcake's SS?
    I'll keep 911 icon for a few hours.
    And yes, I know the theoretical part of the issue: I can wait and see if his BG is rising, then give a shot. Alternatively, I can reduce his dose. How much? 0,5U? Or maybe these numbers are not threatening at all? Maybe everything looks ok and it's just me who is not used to low numbers so far?
    I personally think that it would be safer to reduce his dose before sleep. I have a possibility to check him during a day, so could shoot him 3,5U in the morning ant watch. What do You think? The other part of me says that I should not reduce his dose. I'll see if he's rising after two hours, before his PMPS, just need Your opinions before the time I will be holding a syringe.

And I am sorry if it sounds like an annoying newbie's panic :coffee:

2. MommaOfMuse

MommaOfMuse Well-Known Member

He's slowing down on how fast he is dropping so hopefully he will turn the corner and start rising in the next couple hours, but ... yes there is always a but :lol: He also has dropped a long ways from when he started so if he was mine I would see where he is at preshot if he is headed back up by then and is fairly close to 200 then I would shoot a slightly reduced dose of 3u or 3.25 on the later you will have to just kind of eyeball between 3 & 3.5 and set an alarm to wake up and test him at about +6...

If he is still headed down skip tonight and start fresh in the morning. With Lantus you never want to shoot a still falling number.

I will keep checking in to keep an eye on you both. If you can do me a favor and start a new post with a heading something like Cupcake pmps # dosing advice.. That way I can find you quickly and not have to scroll through all the rest of the stuff in this one. Thanks

Mel, Maxwell, Autumn and The Fur Gang

3. Cupcake

Cupcake Member

Oh, thanks MommaOfMuse! Ok, I'll start a new post after an hour.
    Oh, this is the first day I can't make him eat! Even RAW! Cupcake adores RAW and now he has no appetite at all :(

4. Dana & Thomas

Dana & Thomas Member

Hi Ruta,
    I noticed that you increased his insulin and started giving him antibiotics on the same day. Did the vet tell you to increase his dose? As I mentioned I never used lantus, just humulin and levemir so I cannot give you doseage advice, but I do know that once the antibiotics start working, you should see a decrease in his bgs. As well it is not uncommon for the side effects of some antibiotics to be upset stomach, and diarrhea.
    Danute

5. MommaOfMuse

MommaOfMuse Well-Known Member

If he doesn't eat but is rising at preshot you're going to want to give some insulin but greatly reduce it. I wouldn't shoot more than half his standard dose so no more than 1.5u

Couple easy tricks to try to entice him to eat would be warming it up slightly or see if he will eat it from your hand or fingers. Sometimes when they won't eat from their dish they will from your fingers. Another trick is to sprinkle it with parmesan cheese or tuna juice or even catnip.

Mel, Maxwell, Autumn and The Fur Gang

6. Cupcake

Cupcake Member

Dear Danute, yes, our vet recommended a dose increase. He told to increase by 1U, however I made an increase of 0,5U :?
    MommaOfMuse, yeah... I tried to feed him from my hand... Well, he prefers to sleep rather than to eat! For the first time in his life! ohmygod_smile :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.