10/24 Cupcake AMPS 180, +5 319, +9 306

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Cupcake, Oct 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cupcake

Cupcake Member

We are high again. Don't understand these sugardances :? I do need to stick to 3,5 and try not to reduce for at least a weak, except his BG will go below 50.

2. MommaOfMuse

MommaOfMuse Well-Known Member

Yep you stick to the dose for a week unless he goes below 50. And understanding the Sugar Dance is confusing and frustrating in the beginning..

Do you dance yourself? Or ever tried to learn a popular dance? Or for that matter tried to master any new skill in the beginning nothing makes sense, you feel clumsy, you trip over your own feet, you step on your partner's toes, you fall down or forget what step comes next etc. But you just keep at it, you take the entire dance and break it down into little chunks until you get it down..Then before you know it the music starts and you find you are gracefully gliding across the dance floor in perfect unison with your dance partner. Well the Sugar Dance is the same way you have to not only learn the steps of the dance but what dance your partner wants to dance the only difference is Cupcake is the only one who can hear the music you are dancing to. We can teach you the steps but only Cupcake can teach you the music.

Some cats waltz, some cats tango, and some cats like my Maxwell just decide they hate to dance and go into remission. Thus why we call it a dance.

Now for why he is high again today...He is bouncing off that green yesterday. He dropped very fast yesterday and into numbers his body hasn't felt in awhile and his liver got scared and threw out all kinds of counterregulatory hormones and stored sugars because while we know he wasn't in any danger of going hypo his body didn't..

Cupcake was a diabetic long before you even realize he was sick so his body got use to being in those high numbers. They became his new normal so when he either drops fast or goes lower than he has been in awhile his liver sends out a S.O.S that he is headed for hypo and tries to save itself. Sort of like if you are on a boat for awhile you stop noticing the rocking of the waves and can move normally I.e. sea legs but when you step back on land again your legs feel funny and don't want to work right. even through we as humans belong walking on land. But the longer you are back on land the more it starts to feel normal again.

Right now we have to reteach Cupcake's body what it feels like to be in normal numbers again. And that it is okay to be down there. He didn't become diabetic over night and he is going to get well over night either. He may or may not ever come off insulin but he will get well again and be happy and healthy even if he may always have to take insulin.

I have one of each Maxwell is in remission and off insulin but Autumn is more than likely insulin dependent for life. But if you see them both with my other cats and didn't know who were the diabetics you couldn't tell who was who. They all play, purr, snuggle and are in perfect health just two are extra sweet.

Mel, Maxwell, Autumn and The Fur Gang

3. Cupcake

Cupcake Member

Mel, I can't find those right words to describe Your devotion to animals and Your warmheartedness. We live in a small one-room flat: me and three shorthairs (two British Shorthairs and one Human-Husband-Shorthair) :mrgreen:
    I understand what You say, all those dances... Your words sound like poetry and calm me down :coffee: However, all these testings, readings, injections, nerves... It hasn't become my daily round yet. All those yearly weekend mornings... All thoughts just about my fluffy... Why is he high today? Why was he low yesterday? So many why's... I wish it would stop one day. I wish to wake up and realise it was just a dream. I can't get used to it. I need some time and I still dream about greens without insulin. Everyone here dreams about it, I guess :oops:

4. MommaOfMuse

MommaOfMuse Well-Known Member

Ruta

You are still so new to the dance so it is expected that it is all you think of and worry about because your love for Cupcake shines through your words. For me Autumn is my 4th diabetic that I have danced with so it is easy for me now but trust me it wasn't always that way. I remember being right where you are right now wanting to wake up and my baby be just a normal cat again. To be done with tests and shots then it happened with Maxwell and guess what? I missed it I missed the routine so I adopted another diabetic kitty my Musette, sadly she had more health problems than diabetes and passed away. Then we adopted Autumn and I still dream that one day she too will get rid of all the tests and shots but if she doesn't I won't love her any less and now it is so natural for me that I really don't think about it ...it is just like making the bed or doing the dishes.

We all pray that our fluffies will go into remission and we can throw away the syringes and insulin. But what parent doesn't have that dream when they have a sick child? Our children just happen to have four feet.

It does get easier it really does. And there is a closeness and a bond that gets created between the sugarcat and their caregiver that is like nothing I have every had with any other cat. There is just something very special about caring for these extra sweet ones.

Actually I'm betting in a very short time you will be doing exactly what I'm doing now teaching the steps to the dance and holding the hand of another newbie. That is what makes this board such a special place. The experienced guide the newbies who in turn become the next generation of guides and hand holders. We become more than friends that have never met we become family. We all worry when one is sick, we all grieve when one passes away and we all rejoice when we see that beautiful OTJ icon appear on a condo even if we have never posted to that thread.

Don't worry about finding the right words.
    We may speak different languages in the real world but we speak the same one here and that language is love for our cats extra sweet or not. :)

Mel, Maxwell, Autumn and The Fur Gang

5. RobinCot

RobinCot Well-Known Member

Mel is right - it takes a while to make this a part of your routine but you do get there (and I understand those early weekend mornings too - no more sleeping until daylight on Saturday). I started the dance in May and those first few weeks were crazy and then in August I took on a second sugarcat temporarily and oh my... the stress, the early hours, the running around with syringes and lancets - but it is all worth it as you know. We do it with love. Now, six months into it, it is all a joyous routine. So joyous that I adopted my sugarfoster to make this a permanent routine.

You are a fast learner and are doing great. So put on your patience pants and wait for Cupcake's pancreas to heal. When that healing starts, you will see her numbers come down and her cycle flatten and we will be right there to celebrate with you

Robin

6. Cupcake

Cupcake Member

Hey, RobinCot! I need to hear all Your story too (and Your real name) :)
    Mel... Are You a poetess? :) I've just posted one "Beatly" post in the main health topic :)
    Out for weekend. Will miss You all. And Yes! I am sure and I promise! I'll never leave this forum and do all my best to help others :oops:

7. nckitties3

nckitties3 Well-Known Member

Hi Ruta and let me add a belated Welcome to you and Cupcake, who is a very beautiful kitty! cat_pet_icon

I am so sorry I have not been around to help you also, but health problems and life in general has caused me to barely keep my Lucian's condo and spreadsheet up to date lately. I do apologize.

You could NOT get better help than you have with Mel, she is an angel that will get you through many tough times. My Lucian probably gave her gray hair! :lol: Had it not been for her, I doubt Lucian and I would have made it the first few months. ( Love you Mel!)

The BEST advice she gave me in the beginning was to BREATHE!! Sometimes you are so upset, confused, in tears, you forget to breathe! A few deep breaths, relax and some knowledgeable words from Mel or maybe me or others occasionally and you'll be ok and so will Cupcake. Another bit of advice Mel gave me that I have had to say to myself MANY times - This is a marathon, NOT a sprint. It will take time to get Cupcake stable. Hang in there!

Although my Lucian is having an issue right now, it may very well not have anything to do with his diabetes. A couple days and we may have to make a vet trip if he doesn't show improvement.

You have a heart of of Gold, or you would never have even considered doing what was right for your fur baby. Bless you! It will get better! I promise! And I never thought it would! My Lucian is different from any other cat on the boards! :lol: But he's my boy and I'll do whatever it takes to keep him happy.

Here's to healthy and happy kitties! drinking24

8. Dusty Bones

Dusty Bones Member

All beautiful words on this thread, I have to stop every now and then and just breath too. :YMSIGH:

9. Cupcake

Cupcake Member

Hello, Debbie, it's very nice to meet you!!!
    You don't have to apologize for anything :) And yes, I've already noticed that Mel is an angel wings_cat ;-)
    I hope your Lucian is better now? Is the issue you are facing very serious? I wish things will get better soon.

Rick, thanks for your beautiful words :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.