? 10/31 Has anyone purchased insulin from jeffreyroy!ymail.com

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Kathy and TiTi, Oct 31, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kathy and TiTi

Kathy and TiTi Well-Known Member

I'm running out of my lantus and this fellow has a vial to sell. He lives in Hollywood Florida.

Has anyone dealt with him before. I'm not sure if he's ok.

Kathy for TiTi

2. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

I think you're better off buying from Marks Marine in Canada.....it always concerns me to buy from a complete stranger like that

You hope people would be honest and trustworthy, but who's to know if they've diluted the insulin or it's just full of water?

3. Tuxedo Mom

Tuxedo Mom Well-Known Member

I rather questioned the post when he was offering to sell Novolog for kitties and suggested using both types. It was the first post he did and the information was bad information. Just my opinion but I think I would tend to agree with Chris...get it from Mark's.

Or contact Alan and see if he has any left

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/members/alan-hamman.13508/

He is a reliable source...a number of members have bought from him.

4. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey Well-Known Member

@Tuxedo Mom, Alan is having issues with PayPal and his own financial problems. That's what put Kathy in this bind. Her vet won't write a prescription to send to Canada, so she's in a tough situation with a high dose kitty and limited financial resources.

5. Tuxedo Mom

Thanks for the information Tricia.

I don't really know about Jeffrey. There is one other person

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/...lostar-100-unit-pens-for-a-short-time.166997/

but I don't know anyone who has bought from him either.

Wish I could help out more Kathy :bighug:

6. Kathy and TiTi

I run out in 2-4 days. Alan is great, yes. Unfortunately, he can no longer use PayPal. I have to mail him a check , then he mails me the insulin. Best case scenario is it arrives on Saturday, but given the downsized state of my P.O., next week is more likely.

2 problems with Mark from Canada.
    1. My vet refuses to work with Canada
    2. I don't have 9 -10 days to wait. I have 2-4 days

7. Tuxedo Mom

If you can get a prescription from your vet you can send an e-mail with a photo to them of it and Mark's can work with it from there. Trying to think of any way to help you get your insulin :bighug: :bighug:

8. Kathy and TiTi

Yes, that's why I'm asking if anyone knows him. A google search didn't turn up anything reliable, and jeffreyroy!ymail.com only joined FDMB a few days ago.

9. Kathy and TiTi

I guess she's on to that, because she never gives me a script; she calls in the RX to Costco or wherever.

10. Tuxedo Mom

DAMN!!

11. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

Why don't you try telling Costco that you want to take the prescription elsewhere and ask for a copy of the script?

Kathy - I have an almost full vial. Clear, no air. Started early June. Last used 28 June. Expiry date of something/2018. Stored in fridge. I don't know if it will go through customs. If I label it pet supplies???

I don't know how long it would take to get from Ontario to Texas. Probably a couple of days. If I put an ice pack in it??? If you are willing to pay the express shipping fee (probably expensive). I could take to Fedex or whatever tomorrow around noon.

12. Shoeskitty-GA

Shoeskitty-GA Well-Known Member

I don't know about the law in Texas but in KY, they are required by law to give a client a paper script if requested. I would be very very firm and unmovable with your vet.

13. Kathy and TiTi

How much is it all together? The cost I mean, of the vial and the shipping, and if I can afford it yes, absolutely!

14. Kathy and TiTi

I need to check TX laws. Texans are sometimes a bit stubborn about laws, though. Dig in their heels behind , "Doin' the right thing." Also, my vet is an excellent doctor, and she has been terrific about everything else. I'd hate to tarnish our relationship.

Someone suggested I get a copy from Costco, which seems possible.

15. Tuxedo Mom

Red

Express Post to Florida with 2 -3 day delivery would be around $11-$12 as a small packet or $18 as a tracked package...that is from Winnipeg but gives an idea ,if I calculated it right.

ETA I based this on total weight of one pound.

16. Kathy and TiTi

Ontario California?

17. Red & Rover (GA)

It's the weight of the ice pack that would add to the cost.

Kathy - The vial is on the house. Just the shipping. Everything is closed here for the day. I can try to figure out shipping online tonight (after the boogers have stopped coming to the door). I don't know if I can use the interweb for this or if I have to parcel it up and take it to the shipping office. The shipping would be cheaper without the heavy ice pack, but …

18. Red & Rover (GA)

Canada.

19. Kathy and TiTi

I'm in Central TX, but it's probably the same. Do you have pay pal? I think they're more careful with a tracked package. Do they have a 2 day charge?

20. Kathy and TiTi

Can I paypal you to Canada/

21. Kathy and TiTi

I'm directly below Ontario, Canada. I think this can work.

If I can't use paypal, I can send you a check. My bank is Wells Fargo, and they have no trouble cashing my checks from Canada, so I think it would get to you quickly.

22. Red & Rover (GA)

I can't look anything up until later tonight (around 9pm EST). Kids will be coming to the door soon and I'm not ready! I'll be answering the door dressed in my pajamas with my hair unbrushed. I'm in a small city. Everything is closed. I think I have paypal. I'm sure you could use paypal - or a cheque is fine. I'll check my paypal account later tonight.
    I don't understand. Does paypal ship packages?

23. Red & Rover (GA)

I'll talk to you later tonight.

24. Kathy and TiTi

Oh no. I meant so that I can reimburse you immediately. Otherwise I can send you a check .

25. Kathy and TiTi

okay

26. Tuxedo Mom

The only thing you would need to check is the regulations on shipping insulin to the US. I don't know if there are any restrictions.

27. Kathy and TiTi

Go for the ice pack, and thank you.

28. Kathy and TiTi

Right. I'm on it..

Tuxedo Mom likes this.
  29. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

As a moderator of the board I am compelled to re-post from the sticky note in the Supply Closet Forum:

As stated in the Supply Closet forum description:

• If you have supplies to give away or sell, please post here. Only registered users are able to access this forum.
    • Interested parties may contact you by private message or email (if that is accessible in your profile).
    • Please be aware of all local laws for your own liability.
    • FDMB provides this forum for all *legal transactions only*.
    • The supply closet is not to be construed as a method to circumvent the prescription process of your veterinarian.
    Be careful. Proceed at your own risk.

Tuxedo Mom likes this.
  30. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

Just putting my two cent's worth in - I've had Lantus shipped several times now, both pens and vials, without an ice pack and it has always been okay. Either way, make sure it has lots of padding! :bighug:

31. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

Kathy, I have seen others send insulin through the mail and label it as "pet supplies". Got across the border with no issues. It's not misrepresenting, as that is what it is. It is not a controlled substance in either country, so there shouldn't be any legal issues with mailing it. Just be sure it is carefully packaged so it doesn't break.

For future use, I would still see if you can get a copy of your script from Costco. They may say no, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

32. Jill & Alex (GA)

Kathy, have you asked in the L & L ISG if anyone has any insulin they can send you until you get this sorted out with your vet? You may be pleasantly surprised.

This info from the AVMA won't address your immediate concerns, but may help going forward:

Q: Do I have to give my client a written prescription?

A: As a veterinarian, when you determine that a medication is needed for a patient, you can discuss with your client the benefits of having the drug dispensed directly from your clinic. If your client still wants the prescription filled elsewhere, you should comply with their wish and provide a written prescription. For more information about this, see Section III of the AVMA's Principles of Veterinary Medical Ethics.

Make sure you are aware of your state's rules and regulations regarding prescriptions. Some states require veterinarians to write prescriptions for clients to have filled elsewhere if requested by the client, while some are less strict about prescriptions; in addition, specific guidance on ways the prescription can legally be filed (via a written prescription, telephone or fax) might be offered by your state.

Q: Can I charge a fee for writing a prescription?

A: There is no federal law preventing you from charging a fee for your services and time invested in writing a prescription. However, it is important to note that individual states might have specific guidance for veterinarians on prescription fees.

Here's more info: http://www.zzcat.com/CRF/supplies/legal.htm#texas

Texas
    The state of Texas does not have any laws or regulations that require a veterinarian to provide a prescription upon the request of a client. It is up to the veterinarian whether he/she will provide that prescription upon request or need.

Please feel free to contact me if you have any other questions.

Dennis L. Barker Jr.
    Investigator
    Texas State Board of Veterinary Medical Examiners

The practice of pharmacy involves the dispensing of prescription drugs once a prescription has been issued. The manner of issuance of a prescription is the practice of medicine, veterinary medicine, dentistry, etc. Whether a veterinarian must issue a prescription upon request rather than dispense from stock must be addressed to the Texas State Board of Veterinary Medical Examiners. They may be reached at: http://www.texasonline.state.tx.us/tbvme/

Steve Morse, R.Ph.
    Director of Professional Services
    Texas State Board of Pharmacy

Tuxedo Mom likes this.
  33. Jill & Alex (GA)

Here's a good article explaining why it is illegal to buy insulin from Canada if you live in the United States as well as why the FDA and US Customs officials look the other way when it does happen: True or False? You Can Buy Insulin from Canada.

ETA: Technically, within the USA, it's only legal to send insulin through the USPS to the person whose name is on the prescription.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2016
    Reason for edit: added info
  34. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

You can't send even send pet food between our countries legally and it is technically illegal to send drugs from Canada to the US or vice versa. So while insulin from Marks Marine or such might be overlooked, they are a licensed pharmacy/retailer whereas individuals are not. So if the package gets examined or x-rayed, you could be in for some trouble worse than just having the insulin confiscated.

I agree with Shoekitty. I would demand a script and just tell her you are not sure where you want to fill it right now. If she refuses, report her to the AVMA. Here are the regulations for Kentucky as of April 2016, so if you have a relationship with this vet, I interpret this to mean she has to provide a script.

Kentucky Kentucky Administrative Regulations
    201 Ky. Admin. Regs. 16:110 (2) A veterinarian may refuse to write a prescription if it is not directly requested by a client with whom there is, in the veterinarian's opinion, a current and existing veterinarian-patient-client relationship.

Shoeskitty-GA likes this.
  35. Jill & Alex (GA)

Kathy lives in Texas.
    See post #32.

Kathy and TiTi likes this.
  36. Red & Rover (GA)

kathy -would alan accept an email bank transfer?

37. MrWorfMen's Mom

:banghead:Oh crap. I mixed them up! There is nothing specific for Texas, so here is the statement on the AVMA site re: providing written prescriptions.

" Client request for prescriptions
    Last updated April 2016
    The following is a list of states that AVMA research has found with specific statutes, rules or agency policy statements addressing whether or not a veterinarian is required to provide a written prescription at the request of his or her client. Thirty-six states have adopted laws, regulations or policy statements that specifically or implicitly require veterinarians to provide their clients with a written prescription upon request in some circumstances. Some of those states do so by incorporating into their discipline standards for veterinarians the AVMA’s Principles of Veterinary Medical Ethics, which state that veterinarians should honor a client’s request for a prescription in lieu of dispensing (Section VII-f-iii).
    It’s important to note that even in states not listed below, state boards of veterinary medicine could find in acting on a complaint that failure to honor a client’s request for a prescription constitutes unprofessional conduct, leading to discipline against a veterinarian. Unprofessional conduct generally refers to a departure from or failure to conform to the standards of acceptable and prevailing practice of a veterinary medicine."

It strikes me as unethical for the vet to determine where one has to purchase their veterinary medications so I'd shove this under the vet's nose and let her provide you with something in writing indicating she is within her rights and if she can't and doesn't provide a script, then report her to the Texas veterinary board/association/college.

38. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

I actually talked to Jordan (the pharmacy manager) about this not too long ago.....He said that in ONE instance, they'd had the insulin returned to them from customs....they contacted the person who'd bought it immediately and shipped out another batch that arrived safely

Their website does have the information that it's technically illegal to ship to the US, but they are more than happy to do it and work with us any way they can to provide us with the best customer service around

39. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

So you're saying it has to be a prescription for that particular vial? It doesn't matter that she does have a valid prescription for that insulin in her vet's files?

It's a shame we have to get bogged down in all this when all we're trying to do is prevent a high dose kitty from having to go several days without insulin. I hate bureaucracy. For the record, my vet gave me a prescription to take where I wanted, and I opted not to use Mark's because it was a violation of the law to do so. I won't criticize anyone who chooses differently, but I agree they need to be aware of the possible repercussions from doing so.

40. Kathy and TiTi

Neither of us are set up for it.

I've no idea how to do it.

I was hoping we could do this. And now that I know how to get the money to Alan, I won't be laate again.

41. Red & Rover (GA)

I wasn't set up for bank transfers either until my kids pushed me into it. Basically (in Canada anyway), you go to the email transfer part on your online banking page, put in an amount, the email address, and a security question.

42. Jill & Alex (GA)

What I'm saying is if one uses the USPS within the USA, prescription meds can be sent legally if the prescription med is sent to the person whose name is on the prescription. If the prescription med is being sent to someone other than the person whose name is on the script it's illegal. Look it up. The laws are very clear.

It's also illegal for those in the US to buy prescription meds from Canada, but it's not illegal for Canada to sell prescription meds to those in the USA. Did you read the link I posted above: True or False? You Can Buy Insulin from Canada? They offer a pretty simple explanation.

Some members opt to ignore the law. Some members choose to obey the law.
    It's personal decision and choice, combined with accepting responsibility for whatever happens.

43. MrWorfMen's Mom

I'm not sure how the banks handle email transfers in the US, but in Canada all you need is the recipient's email address. You pre-arrange with the recipient what the security question/answer is (via private email or phone) and then you input the recipient email address, amount of payment and security question/answer and send it through your online banking system. The recipient gets an email telling them there is a payment for them and all they have to do is select the bank they want to use, sign into their online banking, enter the security question answer and select the account they want the funds transferred into. Once that is done, the funds are transferred from the sender to the recipient directly and immediately.

44. Alan Hamman

Alan Hamman New Member

In the US there growing network called People Pay some banks have to send money person to person, and chase bank has their own system. Paypal is a real pain if anyone mentions meds, and they see it, they will close their account without warning.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.