10/4 River AMPS 194 +2:184 +6:385 PMPS:427 +2:329 +4:272

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Picknickchick, Oct 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Picknickchick

Picknickchick Well-Known Member

Yesterday

Now that's what I'm talking about.
    He's back to feeling and acting like he's healthier. Not perfect, because he's still breathing noisily.
    I am hoping he's going to be okay today. I have no choice but to go to work, so I carbed him up with LC and some MC before I left.

I found a mouse heart on the dining room rug/Aztec sacrificial altar.

Wishing everyone a great weekend ahead, cats, mice and people.
    Let's get to the weekend, and when we do...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UxU8s7Au0A

Here's a question: I read this article when I first joined the FDMB, http://www.felinediabetes.com/GrecoHighlights.htm and I'm wondering if it's still relevant.
    It was written in 2005 and a lot has changed since then, but I'm wondering specifically about:

2. Anne & Zener GA

Anne & Zener GA Well-Known Member

Re: 10/4 River AMPS 194 +2:184

Surf that blue, River! :D :D Sorry about the mouse heart but I did have to chuckle. :roll: :lol:
    Liz

3. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Re: 10/4 River AMPS 194 +2:184

Nice start for River today. I hope he surfs safely for you.

I always give Furball her shot in the side. I try to alternate sides and different spots so scar tissue won't form. I know some people do shoot in the scruff of the neck and don't seem to have any problems.

4. Picknickchick

Re: 10/4 River AMPS 194 +2:184 +6:385

I move the injection sites, but this is the first time I've heard the chest and stomach mentioned.

+6 is 385/21.4, so I way over-carbed him before leaving for work ohmygod_smile

5. Amy & Papaya (GA)

Amy & Papaya (GA) Well-Known Member

Ewww on the mouse heart! Um, I guess nice of the kitties to share a treat with you, but . . . :shock:

As to the oral medications - to my understanding from what I've read in other's comments on this site, oral medications force the pancreas to produce insulin, but that can end up kind of burning them out. With the support of injected insulin instead, the cats' pancreas can actually heal on their own schedule and slowly ramp up insulin production as they are ready, which means the cat can go into remission. From what I've heard oral medication is a very bad idea for cats.

6. Josie & Ripley (GA)

Josie & Ripley (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi, Lara, I'm glad River is feeling good. I hope his breathing gets better.

Hilarious video, BTW :lol: :lol: I hope TJ didn't hurt himself with his mad dance skills :lol: :lol:
    Kinda reminded me of these creatures jumping around:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BX_QR_kVvQ8

7. Picknickchick

Re: 10/4 River AMPS 194 +2:184 +6:385 PMPS:427 +2:329

I hope he's coming down from the carb high I unwisely gave him earlier today.

Thank you for the visits, Liz, Carla, Amy and Josie and the Pussycats.
    [​IMG]

8. Re: 10/4 River AMPS 194 +2:184 +6:385 PMPS:427 +2:329

What did you feed him? Cap'n Crunch? With Gravy? I wonder if he went green overnight, and this was a mini-bounce?

9. Picknickchick

I was all out of Cap'n Crunch, so I had to give him a box of Timbits instead (and I'm impressed if you know what they are, Carl!)
    But it's quite possible he went green overnight, then gave those nice blues to start the day with, and maybe wouldn't have bounced, except for my food intervention at +2, when I gave him the usual 2nd brekkie Wellness LC, but with some Orijen kibble sprinked on top, to carb him up. I thought I'd be gone all day, but was able to come home 4 hours later, and he was high. Now it looks like he might be sneaking his way down. I hope so, as the weekend is his!

And I did watch those Bobby Sherman vids! There must be something in the air, because you're the second person today to mention Bobby Sherman.

10. Re: 10/4 River AMPS 194 +2:184 +6:385 PMPS:427 +2:329

Get ready to be impressed then....we used to have a T.H. donuts franchise here :lol:

11. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Where are the quotes from?

This link is to information from a syringe manufacturer about injection sites for cats. It also notes that there are differences of opinion about shooting in the scruff.

Many cats here do experience bouts of pancreatitis. I don't know if I'd say it's 50%, though. Some cats have had pancreatitis at the time of diagnosis but not after. It's an ECID thing.

I seriously doubt that male cats over a certain weight are more prone to hypoglycemia. I don't know that hypoglycemia is sex-linked nor do I think it's related to weight unless you are having to increase the dose due to weight and you are not monitoring BG levels.

When Marje gets back, ask her about chromium. She uses a holistic vet who is very knowledgeable about supplements. I think she would take issue with the information you quoted.

12. Picknickchick

Hi Sienne, the links are from the page "Highlights from the lectures of Deborah Greco DVM PhD ACVIM" posted here on the FDMB at http://www.felinediabetes.com/GrecoHighlights.htm. I had bookmarked it because it made some interesting claims that I wanted to follow up on.

Interesting that the site you linked to also has information from Dr. Greco.

13. mariko

mariko Well-Known Member

HI Lara,
    I'm glad to see River's number is coming down gently and steadily. :D
    Thank you for the info on Vitamin E.
    I'm going to try and find the same one.

14. Picknickchick

Mariko, you can order it online if you can't find it in a store.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.