+10 422; AMPS 390; +6 123

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Janet and Callie, Mar 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Janet and Callie

Janet and Callie Member

Her numbers are all over the place, I thought we were out of the red like a month ago :(

2. PeterDevonMocha

PeterDevonMocha Well-Known Member

Re: +10 422 what am i doing wrong??

Hi guys .. I'm sorry that you are seeing high numbers again .. I don't have any advice for you .. sometimes these cat's throw us for a loop, just when we think they are making progress .. hang in there!

3. Chuck and Susan

Chuck and Susan Member

Not an expert by any means, but maybe she's bouncing?? She did have a really low 40's there a while back, just like Chuck did. Although I'd take Callie's bouncing over Chuck's 500+ bounces any day!!

4. Angela & Blackie & 3 Others

Angela & Blackie & 3 Others Well-Known Member

Welcome to the board! :D

The only thing(s) that I could think of is she may have gotten into some contraband somewhere. I'm not sure what food you're feeding, but perhaps if you fed something with low carbs, it may make a difference. I'm not sure if your schedule will allow this, however some cats do well on mini meals throughout the day instead of 2x/day. It helps to keep the kitty from dropping too low too quickly after their shots. With some kitties, anyway. :lol: Mine apparently is the exception to that rule, though. I hope that you can get her stable soon. Just remember that it'll take time for the numbers to settle down. It always seems rough in the beginning. Hang in there.

5. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

You're not doing anything wrong!

While contraband is a possibility, a more likely scenario is that Callie is bouncing off of the green from yesterday morning. Bounces occur when there's a big drop (e.g., from the 400s to the 70s like yesterday) or if a cat drops into lower numbers that her body is not used to. When the numbers do this, the liver and pancreas spring into action because the body is responding as if this is a dangerous situation by releasing a stored form of glucose (i.e., glucagon) and counterregulatory hormones. These act to cause BG numbers to spike upward. While this is annoying, it's a normal response. The more time Callie spends in good numbers and her body become used to those numbers, the less this will happen.

6. Janet and Callie

Janet and Callie Member

Re: +10 422; AMPS 390 what am i doing wrong??

Thanks :( We are feeding her canned food, usually trying to give her some a few times throughout the first 6 hours after the shot. We have two cats and we used to feed them all dry until the diabetes. Callie gets only canned food, and our other cat gets mostly canned food but we are also trying to finish up our dry food. He ends up getting at least 75% canned food anyway because it's so hard for them to get along when they are eating different food, and too hard for us to watch and make sure Callie doesn't get any dry food. (so it is possible she sneaks some dry food sometimes but we try to be careful about that, and we try to be careful about her not eating as the insulin wears off, but with two cats it's a little harder to keep track)

We've had bounces like this before but it seems like the last week is just continuous bouncing. If it weren't for the one 77, I'd think we needed to go back up to 1.5U.

7. Tara & Buster

Tara & Buster Well-Known Member

Re: +10 422; AMPS 390 what am i doing wrong??

No advice from me, but hoping Callie settles down soon. We all want our sugar kitties to feel better asap! You're doing great and you ARE helping!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.