? 109 reading dose or not?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by AlexsisV, Jul 28, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AlexsisV

AlexsisV New Member

Chai is showing 109 this Preshot AM. I gave him 8 carb food to try and help the curve.

Please take a look at my spreadsheet in my signature. He is on 2.5 units Lantus, no other meds today.

He was on Prazosin yesterday due to what we thought was a UTI but analysis came back negative.

I home monitor with pet meter, Alphatrak2.

I'm not sure what else to say. Should I give him his 2.5 units or no? Thank you.

2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Sorry I'm seeing this late. Did you test again without feeding? This BG is a number you can give a full dose on if you're able to monitor afterward. Shoot low to stay low is one of the often repeated sayings in the Lantus forum. It's scary to do the first time, though.

AlexsisV likes this.
  3. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

Do not dose. That is a low level, and you are avoiding a hypo by not dosing. I would monitor through the day if possible. Don't increase the PM dose.

Those are challenging times when bounces happen. Leo had one last night.

AlexsisV likes this.
  4. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Now it's up to you to decide what you want to do. Jeff, a very experienced care giver, has offered his advice. There are different approaches to dosing with Lantus, some much more aggressive than others. You had a lime green a while ago on a 3 u dose. The depot should be stabilized at the 2.5 u level now and you haven't seen anything lower than blue on this dose. That's why I said what I did. Just wanted you to know where I'm coming from ... :)

JeffJ and AlexsisV like this.
  5. AlexsisV

AlexsisV New Member

I will opt to not dose. Will recheck at plus 4, and regular intervals. If pm Preshot looks ok, I will dose at normal 2.5 units.

I did not take a 2nd reading before his breakfast. I will do so if that happens in the future. I did on previous hypo events and monitor gave sane values. I am regularly home monitoring with alphatrak2.

6. AlexsisV

AlexsisV New Member

Plus 4 and he's 414.

7. AlexsisV

AlexsisV New Member

I did not do a 2nd Preshot am test. I wasn't comfortable with shooting at 109. Plus 4 and he's 414. I shot 2.5 unit Lantus.

8. AlexsisV

AlexsisV New Member

I opted to go with Jeff's recommendations and not shoot that low. Depot did not stabilize things out as I've been watching and now at plus four, he's 414. I shot 2.5 units just now. Will monitor thru the day.

9. AlexsisV

AlexsisV New Member

I agree with your thoughts. I opted not to shoot. Now at plus 4, he 414. I just shot 2.5 units.

10. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Keep in mind you are now off schedule. This is something we recommend not doing. If you decided to skip AM shot this morning, then you should have just waited until PM time to resume schedule. Will you be able to shoot at least 3.5 hours later than usual time tomorrow morning? You'll probably want to enter 2.5U in the +5 cell since it was for the +4 reading.

JeffJ likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.