? 11/29 Noodle AMPS 268 - Switch to Levemir coming up!

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Patricia & Noodle, Nov 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Patricia & Noodle

Patricia & Noodle Well-Known Member

Our last condo, wayyy too long ago!

Hello, all! Its been a couple months since Noodle and I checked in here at FDMB. A lot of it is because work is swamped for me at this time of year and we've just been plugging along here with her diabetes. I had to relax how closely I followed TR, I just couldn't guarantee how closely I could monitor, though I've been doing a decent job. She just swings so much and drops so quickly, it worried me too much to increase as often as I should have been increasing. It was getting quite discouraging to post her condo every day when I couldn't seem to get a handle on her numbers.

I reached out to her vet about switching to Lev a few weeks ago. She did some research and we decided that I'd bring her in for a fructosamine to get a feel for her overall regulation and go from there. As I expected, it was really high (593), so we are moving forward with changing her to Lev. I just got my pens from Mark's today, but would rather not start on a PM cycle, so we start with Lev tomorrow. I know there's some experience here with the Lantus-Lev change, so I have some questions!

-Noodle is at a f.75u right now, her vet recommends a .5u starting dose of Lev, how does this sound to everyone here? I've updated her long neglected SS with her recent numbers.
    -How closely should I be monitoring during the switch? I do have to work and that includes weekend hours most weeks. With her current shot times, I can actually get a decent number of late cycle tests, early PM cycle, too.
    -Should I just go right from her current Lantus dose one cycle to the starting Lev dose the next cycle? IE: Lantus f.75u PMPS, Lev .5u AMPS; or skip to drain her depot between? I'm going through old posts, but I feel like a lot of this is individual.

I've missed everyone here, so glad to see all the new OTJ kitties (like Furball!!! Congrats, @carfurby !) and I'm looking forward to catching up on how everyone is doing.

2. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

It's good to see a Noodle condo. I hope you've been doing well. I don't know anything about switching from Lantus to Levemir, but I hope it helps Noodle have better numbers.
    Thanks.

3. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Hi Patricia - good to hear from you and sweet Noodle. :bighug:

Your vet's number sounds like a good start for Lev. We typically start at 70% of the other L dose, just because some kitties see an initial strong reaction. Just shoot Lantus one cycle and Lev the next. It's really hard to say whether the first or second cycle will see more action as the Lantus depot will be depleting as the Levemir depot builds. FWIW, Neko's first Lev cycle was "meh" and the second was flat blue. :cool:

As for monitoring, the first part after the switch is data gathering as you try to figure out when her new onset and nadir times are. I felt almost like a newbie the first little while. I did try to get 3-4 tests a cycle the first few days, mixing up the times. Typical onset is around +4 and typical nadir around +8, so I'd get a few tests around then. Of course, Neko isn't typical. :rolleyes:

Good luck! I hope you love Levemir like I do.

4. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey Well-Known Member

Hi Tricia!

I've missed seeing you and Noodle here. I've not been posting too much lately, either. We all have to figure out how to prioritise our time, and you can't always fit in everything you want to. I've had to learn that the hard way.

No advice from me - I'm clueless about Lev - but I wish you and Noodle every success with it and I hope we see you a little more frequently in the future.

5. Marilyn and Polly

Marilyn and Polly Well-Known Member

HI! No info from me on the switch. Just lots of luck!

Marilyn and Polly

6. Tara & Ivana (GA)

Tara & Ivana (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Noodle and Patricia! Wishing you both luck on the switch from Lantus to Levemir, interested to see how it goes for you.

7. Patricia & Noodle

Patricia & Noodle Well-Known Member

Thanks for stopping in, Carla, Wendy, Tricia, Marilyn, and Tara! :cat:

Wendy: Thanks for the input, .5u sounded good to me, too. Depending on her PMPS, I may go ahead and start tonight. Its here, so I might as well! I can get those tests tonight for sure and test around those times tomorrow AM, too.

Tricia: I've checked in a bit over the past months and seen that your HOC is a bit more chaotic lately (understatement of the year!). Hope you're getting some quality time in with your extra special kitties, been thinking of you. :bighug:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.