11/30 Tigger AMPS/381 PMPS/416 +1/366 Update

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Tigger's Friend, Nov 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tigger's Friend

Tigger's Friend Well-Known Member

Happy Caturday, LL!

Tigger's last post

I hope you all had a Happy Thanksgiving & all Kitties got a good dose of Thanksgiving Turkey Dinner, too! Healing vines & support go out to any beans & kitties in need & special congrats to Carl & Polly - hope that new relationship's getting off to a good start :D

Thanks, too to everyone for their kind words, support & help during Tigger's illness.

The last of our company left today, so hopefully things will normalize with no more trips to the vet.

Tigger's been to the vet every day last week except Thanksgiving. Today he got his eye drains removed, but he's gotta wear the cone of shame until his drain holes heal. :cry:

Hopefully we'll get the culture results Monday. I got a 2nd round of Clindamycin in case that's a go. I want to make sure this thing's really dies this time.

Tigger's more lethargic the last few days. He's still got his appetite, purrs when he eats & often when petted, but he's not getting around much. I don't know if it's from the high BG, the cone of shame, the bupe, the Covenia injection, or ???. I took his cone off for the first time & he immediately began washing himself, a good sign. Had to put it back on when he started washing his bad eye. :cry:

I haven't given him any bupe in case he's still sedated. I haven't given him a full .2ml dose since Wed. night, but maybe he's in pain -with Tigger it's hard to tell.

Tigger's BG's been in the pinks all this time, a few reds. I thought it might go down once the drains were removed, but no. So, Sunday AM we'll dosecrease .25u to 2.0u. (Dosethreat's on the table!, Tigger!)

Have a great Holiday weekend everyone!

2. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Re: 11/30 Tigger AMPS/381 +6/354 Update

Hi Suzanne - good to see a Tigger update. Sorry you've been doing the shuttle bus to the vet. Paws crossed that's it for a while. Was Tigger sedated today to get the drains removed? I wouldn't think they'd do that unless he's Mr. Feisty at the vet. In which case, some bupe would probably help him. Pain can elevate BG's too.

Thank goodness you have your house back to yourselves so you can have a good weekend.

3. Kim & Twice

Kim & Twice Well-Known Member

Hi Suzanne! Aww..sounds like Tigger is feeling better but just not quite 'perky' yet. It'll come. I agree, it could be pain. It's frustrating that they hide that so well. I bet he loved having that cone off for a bit to groom himself. They get a lot of contentment and comfort from that. You're such a great mamabean to let him have that time :D
    Fingers crossed for good lab results on Monday and the dosecrease tomorrow!
    Have a great night and scritches to Tigger!

4. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

I think increasing the dose sounds like a good idea. I'd also suggest testing for ketones given the infection and high numbers -- it's a good precaution. He also may be feeling a bit punky from the ABs.

5. Tigger's Friend

Hi Wendy, Kim & Sienne, it's great to hear from you all, & I appreciate your visits!

Wendy, they didn't sedate him today - it was suture removal & pulling the plastic tubes from the holes. Unfortunately, Tigger went nuts in the carrier (used a box so he wouldn't bash his eye on the metal grate door, but he freaked), got his cone off, then scratched his bad eye & made it bleed - luckily didn't hurt the drain holes. I held him most of the ride over - what a squirmy wormy! :roll: He's always good at the vetty, just scared. He had an anxiety-filled vetty trip, tho', today & yesterday.

Kim, yes, cats are so good at hiding their weaknesses. The vet tech didn't seem to think the procedure today was painful. He is making a little noise in his sleep, tho'. I put a fabric cone on him temporarily, & he went into the kitchen for awhile, & groomed his brother Spankey, all positive. I'll have to put the hard cone back on at bedtime, tho'.

Sienne, sorry I forgot to add that Tigger's urine tested negative for ketones this AM. He's also pooping every other day, instead of daily, but big ones, mostly solid (whew!). I'm giving fluids, too, daily 75 - 100ml - I don't think he's drinking as much with the cone on & I want to make sure he stays hydrated. He's never had Covenia, that's the AB that concerns me the most re. reactions.

Thanks Sienne for the dose advice, too - it's been hard waiting this long & getting all these pink numbers!

6. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

Re: 11/30 Tigger AMPS/381 PMPS/416 Update re-thinking Bupe

i have a bias - which i'll freely admit and you can consider - in favor of giving pain meds if you think there's any chance he's in pain. i don't think the bupe will harm him - if you give it to him and he feels better, you'll be able to tell. i'd just hate to have him hurting post-surgery.

pain and anxiety can both increase BGs. sounds like he had a rough day. cat_pet_icon

7. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Suzanne,
    I just wanted to send some special-delivery healing vines to Tigger. I hope that everything will get much better soon. Hang in there!

Hugs, scritches,

Ella & Rusty

8. rhiannon and shadow (GA)

rhiannon and shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm betting he's sore from that tube/suture removal and his bumps while riding today.
    I know I always am after they remove anything from my own surgeries... and I've had a lot of those. :YMSIGH:

Sending many healing vines and prayers for Tigger.

9. Tigger's Friend

I'm re-thinking giving bupe to Tigger. He's only had a full .2ml dose once, Wed. eve. after the surgery - I've given smaller doses sporadically since, the last was .075 last night @ 10PM. He's still sleeping alot, moaning occasionally in his sleep, but more active with the fabric cone, and a huge appetite. But - the area around his eye's red, especially at the top, & where he scratched it in the corner. His PMPS is 416 - I think he may be hiding some pain.

10. Ann & Tess GA

Ann & Tess GA Well-Known Member

Sorry i missed you on Saturday. How is Tigger doing now? I hope he is feeling better and the eye is healing. Have you been giving the bupe?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.