? +11 - in the blue with "some" insulin AMPS

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Tina and Boozle, Dec 31, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tina and Boozle

Tina and Boozle Member

Boozle was 206 this morning and with his history, we decided to go ahead and stall. First stall he was at 204. Second stall and he is at 193. It's really close to 200, but he was in the blues last night PMPS and only got a half dose to begin with. I went ahead and gave him a drop (the first line), so he would have some insulin. Any thoughts?

Seems he is requiring less insulin as he starts to feel better. He started off just cleaning his butt a few days ago, which we were pretty excited about. He ate an entire serving of food all by himself this morning and he is over there giving himself a full-on bath. He's very affectionate this morning and his nose and tongue are super pink again. I'm still cautiously optimistic, but I am thankful for a good morning and to see him feeling so good.

Don & Tigger and Adam Flowers like this.
  2. Julie and Honey

Julie and Honey Well-Known Member

So happy to hear Boozle is feeling better:cat:

Tina and Boozle likes this.
  3. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Very exciting! This is where there's a lot of dosing guesswork and you have to go with your gut. :smuggrin:

4. Tina and Boozle

Tina and Boozle Member

We've done pretty good today, so far. He has eaten -by himself- what we've been hand feeding him, and he had a little bupe last night, but he hasn't had any anti-nausea meds or appetite stimulants. Doc wanted us to start decreasing to see how he functioned with the least drugs in his system.
    After eating like a piggy after he got his shot, he is 94 at +5. That drop of insulin is working overtime!

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  5. Tina and Boozle

Tina and Boozle Member

One drop and he is 106 at +11. We decided to test at +11 and +12 to see which way he would go. I know I need to wait until preshot, but for the first time since we started, I am actually a little concerned about giving insulin at all. Can't do much less than "some". If he is still low blues in an hour, would you agree we should probably skip and observe?

6. Tina and Boozle

Tina and Boozle Member

He is floating in the low 100s still. We went ahead and gave him a drop again and will observe. He has eaten almost his full days worth of food by himself today and he is looking/acting like himself for a change. I don't want to be timid about giving him insulin, but with such a distinct difference in his behavior late last night and early this morning, and his previous history, I am concerned about pushing it.
    I know you said go with my gut, so I am not really expecting anyone to tell me what I should do. I am just documenting where this is going. So far, I think we are handling it okay. I just want to make sure if I am getting ready to do something really off, it's out in the wild where maybe someone will catch it. :p

7. Julie and Honey

Julie and Honey Well-Known Member

Hang in there:)

8. Kris & Teasel

Son of a gun! Would you look at those numbers?! :D The boy is on a mission. How is he feeling?

9. Tina and Boozle

Tina and Boozle Member

I am honestly shocked. Yesterday I was holding a corpse of a cat and I was absolutely sure this was going nowhere good. Today I am seriously trying to temper my expectations because he is acting as if none of it even happened. +2 and he is -still- at 108.

10. Kris & Teasel

Miracle kitty! :D

11. Tina and Boozle

Tina and Boozle Member

:D We certainly hope so!

12. Tina and Boozle

Tina and Boozle Member

126 at AMPS. We went ahead and gave him a drop instead of stalling. 91@+4

13. Kris & Teasel

Look at Boozle go! :D How are his clinical signs?

14. Tina and Boozle

Tina and Boozle Member

He is still a little skinny, still a little dehydrated and strains to poop, but he is getting the job done. We are continuing to give fluids and a small amount of bupe in the PM. We are weening him off the meds. Overall, he is just being his normal self, though. He is scooting around, bright eyed and purry.

15. Kris & Teasel

That's a great report all things considered! He's lucky to have you. :) Will he accept warm water added to wet food meals?

16. Tina and Boozle

Tina and Boozle Member

Oh, he is eating. He just has some catching up to do because he lost so much weight so quickly.

17. Kris & Teasel

I asked because adding extra water to all of Teasel's meals is a great way for me to keep him well hydrated. :) He enjoys his "soup"!

18. Tina and Boozle

Tina and Boozle Member

Oh. I thought you may be concerned about him eating. We do add water, when he eats on his own. When we hand-feed, I am afraid of getting liquids in his lungs. Those syringes can be tricky when you have an animal that does not want to sit still, so we skip it.

19. Tina and Boozle

Tina and Boozle Member

Annnnd, We are at 93@PMPS. Tested twice. That feels kind of suspect at the end of a cycle. I'm gonna stall and recheck, but I think we may be coming up on our first skip.

20. Kris & Teasel

Looks like Boozle is contemplating the "R" word ... ;) Skipping seems a good option.

21. Tina and Boozle

Tina and Boozle Member

Lord, wouldn't that be nice. I know he is mad because he is hungry. LOL

22. Tina and Boozle

Tina and Boozle Member

Stalled and he is still hanging out at 105. I would feel comfortable giving him a drop, but I am thinking -- he was on dry food (we have 17 cats/rescues in the house) and we switched him to Sheba, which is 3% carbs. I kind of want to see where this goes. So . . . I am going to skip and test/observe tonight and see where we are in the morning.

23. Kris & Teasel

Good plan. :)

24. Tina and Boozle

Tina and Boozle Member

He's 96@+14 so far. I'm trying not to get too excited, but dang. It would be so nice to be diet controlled.

25. Tina and Boozle

Tina and Boozle Member

85 at mid-cycle.

26. Kris & Teasel

:D!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.