? 111 at +11 pmps. Novolin. Help.

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by ja9390, Mar 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ja9390

ja9390 Member

Sorry that I don't have an updated spreadsheet but like I said, my internet has been down so I can't use the computer. Last night at 9 we started him on his first dose of 2u Novolin. We bumped him up from 1.75 because his numbers weren't budging. Well, they budged. His pmps at 9 last night was 553. This morning at 8:00 his amps was 266, followed by another 2u. Tonight, I checked him (he hasn't eaten yet) and its 111. Do I feed, wait an hour until +12 then test again and reevaluate?

2. Ferndoc

Ferndoc Member

Normally it is stall 20-30 minutes, test again without food to see which direction his numbers are going and then reevaluate.

3. ja9390

ja9390 Member

Oops. I fed him. He was begging for it. I left out a can of special kitty this morning and a can of Friskies for both cats to share while I was gone. I came home and nobody touched the special kitty. I won't be buying the tuna flavor anymore...he appeared to be quite hungry and ate over half the can where normally he would only eat maybe a half a can at a usual meal. Could the lack of food in his system today have influenced this test? Wish I would have stalled on feeding him.

4. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Since you're using Novolin, it's important that he get food about 20 minutes before you shoot, so the normal stalling technique really doesn't work the same

I'd test at his usual shot time and if he's below 200, I'd probably not shoot (but I don't use Novolin either!)

There's more information in the Vetsulin/Caninsulin Sticky that might help....I'd also edit your subject line and add "Using Novolin..Need help!" and see if you can get some more eyes on your post

5. ja9390

ja9390 Member

Thanks. His vet told me not to shoot unless he's between a minimum of 150-250 but she wants him to be closer to 250 just to be on the safe side. I wasn't sure if feeding to raise the numbers would be considered "cheating". Didn't ask at his last appointment. Didn't think I'd be seeing nice low numbers this soon.

6. Cat girl

Cat girl Member

How does Novolin act with him?after shot does it start to drop fast and hard within the first hr or 2?or does it act slower?Novolin changed with miss kitty.first time she was on it it dropped fast and hard quickly but 2nd time she was on it it worked slowly kind of like lantus slowly a lot of the time but still tapped at 8hrs mostly.

7. ja9390

ja9390 Member

It drops him hard, within 2-3 hours but nothing like that within the 1-2 hour span. He might get a 200-300 point drop but it takes 2.5-4 hours to get that result.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.