12/12 Muffin Amps 357 +3 248 Pmps 67 not good news at vet

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Julie + Muffin, Dec 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Julie + Muffin

Julie + Muffin Member

2. Doodles & Karen

Doodles & Karen Well-Known Member

Good luck with the recheck tomorrow and hope it's a good report. She's looking like another increase but would hold off until after the vetty visit. Maybe ask about Levemir and see if they are open to the switch?

3. Julie + Muffin

Julie + Muffin Member

Muffin went to the vet today and it's horrible news. Although they got the growth her mouth is worse and our vet is recommending an internist; she believes this is cancer. The mass is bigger and different and in her lymphs. We will know more on Thursday after appointment with internist. There is also an oncologist at this vet practice. I am considering Muffin in hospice at this point. I had decided not to test her except at Amps and Pmps and let her be with some peace since she is always high. For the first time she is very low at Pmps which I believe has never happened. She is still on pain meds but hasn't had any since 10 am. We have never shot at this low number before and given Muffin's condition I worry she will go too low. I do not want to test her all night. She has had enough. We have not fed her yet. Experienced advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

4. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Sorry about the news.:bighug::bighug:

Can you stall 20-30 minutes to see if she's on her way up, down, or flat?

5. Julie + Muffin

Julie + Muffin Member

Hi Thanks for responding. I don't want to continue this testing on her. I just want her to eat what she wants and have a peaceful night. What's the difference if she goes way high? At this point I don't think it matters. I'm inclined to skip the shot; feed what she wants and test at Amps. What do you think of this? I'm assuming this is cancer that can't be fixed. This is the second cat I have had with diabetes that succumbed to cancer in the mouth.

6. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

If both of you need a break, go ahead and skip, and regroup tomorrow. However, as today showed, a test somewhere in the middle could be important. If you are only doing to twice daily tests, I would reduce the dose. On SLGS, she would have earned a reduction anyway.

7. Julie + Muffin

Julie + Muffin Member

Ok...I'm skipping the dose and feeding her all night what she wants. Will determine next in the morning.

8. Chubba (GA)

Chubba (GA) Well-Known Member

So sorry about the news. Praying this isn't cancer. :bighug:

Julie + Muffin likes this.
  9. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Sending prayers. :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

10. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry you've had such bad news. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

11. Pamela & Amethyst

Pamela & Amethyst Well-Known Member

Love light and healing:bighug::bighug:

12. ppp

ppp Member

Little experience with diabetic cats; too much experience (in 69 years of multiple cat households) with letting cats go. There was one that I feel I might have let go too soon(over-reaction to the last who died enroute to the vet); but mostly I thought afterwards that I waited too long.

Eating has seemed to me like a good sign that a cat wants to keep going, for the time being.

Hopefully, if it is cancer, the vet will have suggestions on best palliative care. (Meanwhile, lots of cuddles?)

Julie + Muffin and Kris & Teasel like this.
  13. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Tracey&Jones (GA) Well-Known Member

14. Kathy and TiTi

Kathy and TiTi Well-Known Member

I'm in the same boat as "PPP". I have lost so many cats now, and it never gets easier.
    Unless the oncologist has much better news, I would make Muffin as comfortable and happy as possible, for whatever time is left.
    I am so sad that you got such wretched news.
    Hugs and Hopes for better news from the oncologist.:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

15. Amy&TrixieCat

Amy&TrixieCat Well-Known Member

Because I'm always one to grasp at straws...since the biopsy came back not showing cancer, did the vet say anything about a possible post-surgery infection or abscess? Did he give you antibiotics?

Piling on tons and tons and tons of prayers for all of you...

16. Julie + Muffin

Julie + Muffin Member

Vet did not think it was infection. No antibiotics. Tomorrow we will know more. If it's infection it is huge and fast growing. Awful looking. Today we will only test at +6 and PMPS. Last night we left food all night and she seemed content and ate all she wanted which was a good amount. Today Amps 345 and I am reducing dose to 4.0; she is just too unpredictable. She is getting Bup 3 times a day to keep her comfortable. thanks for being optimistic :)

17. Amy&TrixieCat

Amy&TrixieCat Well-Known Member

For a kitty with a sore mouth, I am very impressed with her appy....such a good sign, at least that she is feeling good and comfortable no matter what is going on. Starting prayers for tomorrow, and remaining optimistic....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.