12/22. Elmo...183 AMPS.

Discussion in 'Caninsulin / Vetsulin and N / NPH' started by Beth 73, Dec 22, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

I wish they still taught literacy the way they did it when I was in school. These days, I am aghast at the poor spelling and grammar skills many of the younger generation possess. Maybe they don't make teachers like they used to?! My hats off to both you ladies. :D:bighug:

Critter Mom and Kris & Teasel like this.
  2. Beth 73

Beth 73 Well-Known Member

Well, it was tremendous fun and fully exhausting .One of the factors in our having our two kids on into our 30s. That and we had one ring-tail-tooter of a little niece, who after visiting we would decide we NEVER wanted children of ANY sort . She is now an aggressive atttorney...can't say we didn't see that coming o_O

3. Beth 73

Oh, I know....LOVED diagramming sentences. Here in States they are mow reinstituting teaching cursive as well.Dont know why but that made me glad...that and having this huge ah-ha moment that maybe teaching phonics wasn't such a bad idea too.....duhhhhh. I was fed up by the time I left..too much govt and administrative input for me.

Critter Mom and MrWorfMen's Mom like this.
  4. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Love this!

5. Kris & Teasel

My mom was an elementary school teacher. She's with you on the phonics - and grammar - and composition.

6. Beth 73

:joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful:......welllll, she was and still is:nailbiting: Perfectly suited to grill poor souls on the witness stand. She has 3 kids and her middle child is her mini-me. It enjoy watching it :rolleyes:

7. Beth 73

Awesome!!! So you know first hand. What fun...no wonder you're so wonderful..u were raised by a teacher! Well done, Kris's mom:)

Critter Mom likes this.
  8. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Yep! I'd add Feynman and Einstein.

I saw Leonardo's Madonna cartoon at the National Gallery during my teens. It was one of the most powerful experiences of my life. Hard to describe really; when viewing it I got this sense of pulsing energy radiating from it. It was really quite an extraordinary sensation; perhaps some manner of peak experience?

Mogs

9. Kris & Teasel

Yes to Feynman and Einstein!!

Critter Mom likes this.
  10. MrWorfMen's Mom

My theory on this is that you up the dose and wait for a couple of weeks for the body to "right" itself (homeostasis) and get used to the new dose and then judge effect but that doesn't mean that there is no effect early on. Some might see full effect sooner than others, some later.

11. Kris & Teasel

Critter Mom likes this.
  12. MrWorfMen's Mom

Ok got it. Heading over there now. :).

13. Kris & Teasel

No more 911 for Mr. B. Seems to be OK right now.

14. MrWorfMen's Mom

Man these cats are giving us a work out these days. There's been a lot of drama recently. I'm hoping things stay quiet the rest of the night so I can go to bed early and not be worrying about someone else's pudditat! :cat:

15. Critter Mom

Homeostasis roughly means 'unchanging state'.

Homeostasis is the state of equilibrium which the body strives to maintain through a complex system of regulatory feedback mechanisms. For example: if you get too cold, you start shivering (the movement of the muscles generates heat); if you get too hot, your body perspires (it is cooled as the sweat evaporates). Here's a good formal definition:

http://medical-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/Homeostasis (Biology)

If a body has been working in a certain fashion for some time - and not necessarily in a healthy fashion - it will regard certain states as 'normal' and strive to maintain those states.

When treating with insulin you are in a way doing battle with the body's homeostatic mechanisms for controlling blood glucose concentration. In very simplistic terms, regulation is a gradual process because the body needs to re-adapt to using insulin properly again (i.e. overcome insulin resistance) and also to become reaccustomed to operating in the healthy normal blood glucose range (i.e. the body needs to learn that 'healthy normal' is not life-threatening). Once this is achieved the body will then work to maintain blood glucose levels at or around this new, lower 'setpoint'. If the pancreas beta cells can recover enough function the cat may not need injected insulin and thus go into remission, otherwise the cat should (in theory) be able to run in a relatively narrow BG range (well-regulated; less swingy/bouncy) with support from injected insulin.

Mogs

16. Beth 73

I agree for and with both you and Kris...you have earned your zzzzzz's in spades ....all our pudditats say" thank you" :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

17. Beth 73

18. Beth 73

Thank you, Mogs...makes more sense...you be smart, girl :)

Critter Mom likes this.
  19. Critter Mom

Beth, one of the greatest gifts you could give to your students was teaching them to read. If you have literacy skills you can teach yourself anything and transform your own world, perhaps even the rest of the world, too! :cool:

In my mind's eye, I can still clearly see my very first teacher, Miss Cahill. (I was four!) She gave me tremendous encouragement with reading (as did my mother with spelling). I thought Miss Cahill was wonderful (but most of the nuns scared the carp out of me :nailbiting: ). I bet there are many people out there in the world who will have memories just as vivid and appreciation just as warm for you, dear Beth.

:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

Mogs

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  20. Critter Mom

I had fantastic teachers, Beth! :cat:

21. Beth 73

Awww, Mogs, thank u from the bottom of my heart. It's just what I was meant to do...kids are my best favorite !!!

Critter Mom likes this.
  22. MrWorfMen's Mom

Oh all this talk of teachers is taking me down memory lane. Most of my teachers were great and I remember a number of them very fondly. There were also those that seemed like my worst nightmare at the time but looking back, I'm grateful for them now because I not only learned the subject they were teaching but also a lot of life lessons.

I have a friend who taught for years and I'm sure his students loved him but listening to some of his stories makes me wonder how any of you maintain your sanity. He has a great sense of humour and I think that might be what saved him. ;)

Kris & Teasel and Critter Mom like this.
  23. Critter Mom

I've had both extraordinarly good and downright atrocious teachers (the latter can utterly destroy a child's confidence and leave very nasty scars behind them).

Mogs

MrWorfMen's Mom likes this.
  24. Critter Mom

25. Beth 73

That is the absolute truth...there were people I taught with who had zero business teaching. I think all they wanted was a job where they got summers off. Don't know about UK but here teachers are tenured and could murder their dear old granny in front of the class and keep their job. I would cringe when some of my little first graders went on to horrific second grade teachers and would beg the principal to not put them with those teachers. I was probably pretty sassy with him but those were "my " kids and I didnt want them to have, as you said, their fragile confidence damaged by a teacher who should have been fired long ago . I'll climb down off my soapbox now...;)

Kris & Teasel and Critter Mom like this.
  26. Beth 73

Critter Mom likes this.
  27. Kris & Teasel

It's what saves our sanity!!

Critter Mom likes this.
  28. Critter Mom

You've still got some left??? Impressive. :)

Kris & Teasel likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.