12/23 AMPS +308 + 3 317 +5 305question regarding insulin smell

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Moocat, Dec 23, 2018.

1. Moocat

Moocat Member

I hope the -drop- dose is getting in. Last night I noticed a strong smell of insulin at the injection site. and at +4 363 higher than PMPS. This morning I made sure to see the needle go into the skin, depressed plunger, kept it in for 5 sec and then removed. Still smelled insulin but not as strong.

2. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

Sometimes there is insulin on the needle or just where the barrel starts from shooting out the excess. I got in the habit of wiping the connection between needle and syringe off before injecting to be sure there wasn't any residue there. You can also keep the plunger depressed while withdrawing the needle. It's possible to get a little leakage but it shouldn't make any appreciable difference. More than likely what you are seeing number wise is a bounce from those beautiful greens 2 days ago.

Moocat likes this.
  3. Moocat

Moocat Member

I was concerned because it's only a "drop". and I'm not shooting out any excess. Well, I guess the numbers today will give me more info and next time I'll keep the plunger depressed while withdrawing plunger.

4. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

You're quite right about not expelling insulin (wasn't thinking drop when I typed that:rolleyes:) but having put the needle into fluid, it's still wet with insulin when withdrawn from the pen or vial and despite not being able to really see it, it can dribble down, so I still wiped it off with an alcohol swab just to try to avoid the smell. The smell is unpleasant and leads to furshot worries. :D
    ETA to add "un" in front of pleasant! :smuggrin:

Last edited: Dec 23, 2018
    Moocat likes this.