12/23...Elmo PMPS....193

Discussion in 'Caninsulin / Vetsulin and N / NPH' started by Beth 73, Dec 23, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beth 73

Beth 73 Well-Known Member

Good morning all....as you see by Elmo's SS we had a little PJ party last night :)..... don't know how it figures into his shoot this AM...feeding in 15 minutes and shoot in 45....I feel my head banging against that vetsulin wall :banghead::banghead::banghead:;). @Critter Mom
    @MrWorfMen's Mom
    @Kris & Teasel aka Elmo's godmommas Supremo:bighug::bighug::bighug:

Critter Mom likes this.
  2. Beth 73

My thinking , based on 12/17 , gave .25 minus a fat drop....these old eyes are gettin' a work out:confused:o_O:)

3. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Mornin', Beth! :bighug:

I see that cheeky little +5 103 he threw you. (Wonder if his metabolism might be causing the crystalline fraction of Vetsulin to kick in early? Who knows ... :confused:) You did great. :)

I was mulling over the Buddha Kitteh's trends earlier and I was thinking along the lines of doing the fat drop this morning - even before I saw this morning's much better AMPS. He coasted very nicely in the latter part of last night's cycle.

I'm wondering whether Elmo wants to run lower at night but needs a smaller dose OR whether he naturally runs a bit higher in the PM.

If it was me I'd go with 0.25 - fat drop. At least you'll see what it does. You can always tweak it up again on another cycle if necessary.

Mogs

4. Critter Mom

If it hurts, stop.

:p

5. Beth 73

Good morning dearest Mogs ...makes me get excited when what I'm thinking is backed up by one of you!!!!! I was so glad to be able to party with Elmo on our own last night/early AM because of all you all have guided and taught me. Also thank you for the questions you asked on the thyroid question I had posted. Saw it last night but being the not so great multi tasker that I am I thot I'd better stick to the PJ party on its own !!!! :)

Critter Mom likes this.
  6. Beth 73

Oh, it's stoppin'....it is stoppin'....Lantus ordered this morning

Ozzy Pawzbourne and Critter Mom like this.
  7. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Hi Beth,
    I was thinking 0.25 u minus fat drop too. You'd already thought of it of course because you're mastering Elmo's dance. :D

Critter Mom likes this.
  8. Critter Mom

Anti-jinx! :eek:

(Shhh, Kris; he'll hear you!!! :nailbiting: )

9. Beth 73

Oh, I am doing my happy dance right now cos I was thinking what ya'll were thinking !!!! Last night, Elmo and I were able to do the evenings offering of the sugar dance with confidence and peace, armed with all you all have taught us.....it was a tremendous feeling :):):).....AND since DH was gone for 5 days , I had to put on my big girl pants and give all shots so that was a confidence builder( and I know he is grateful to get to get bit of extra sleep this AM after driving from Colorado yesterday)...:):smuggrin::joyful:;):coffee::coffee::coffee::coffee::coffee::coffee::coffee::coffee::coffee:

MrWorfMen's Mom and Critter Mom like this.
  10. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

Well it's unanimous! 0.25 minus fat drop! I checked last night and didn't see any numbers so I thought Elmo was behaving but alas he threw you a bit of curve. And congrats on your first solo PJ party! You're doing fantastic! :bighug:

Critter Mom likes this.
  11. Kris & Teasel

There should be badges or certificates for these milestones! :)

12. Beth 73

Oh, no, I was not about to alert any of you unless I got into unchatered territory....you all have WELL earned rest coming , I'm believing on this very day...an early Merry Christmas to each of you:bighug::bighug::bighug: . Between Elmo, Ozzy and MrB we have put you all thru the wringer:woot::woot::woot:.....so here is to an uneventful day , on all fronts , both in our homes/kitties and in/with your homes and kitties :woot::woot::woot::bighug::bighug::bighug:

13. Beth 73

:):bighug:....you all believing in me is badge/certificate enuf .....most sincerely:bighug::bighug::bighug:

14. Critter Mom

I am so proud of you, Beth! And so happy for you! :cool:

:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

Hear, hear!!!

:cat:

Mogs

MrWorfMen's Mom likes this.
  15. Critter Mom

Feeling all superfluous now ... :(

;)

16. MrWorfMen's Mom

You are NEVER superfluous and never will be!

Master Mogs, you have enabled all of us to snatch the pebble from your hand! Thank you for that wonderful gift! :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

Ozzy Pawzbourne and Critter Mom like this.
  17. Critter Mom

Patience, Grasshopper.

:bighug::bighug::bighug:

Moggie the Kung Fu Goddess

18. Critter Mom

@MrWorfMen's Mom -

I've learned a tremendous amount from you, Linda. Thank you, too. :)

19. Kris & Teasel

This the best way to learn - the Borg collective (as I referred to it in another thread) using its power for good.

20. Critter Mom

Resistance is futile.

Oi! Beth!! You've been assimilated!!!

:eek:

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  21. MrWorfMen's Mom

Oh goodie! Star Trek references this non-movie buff can understand!:D

Critter Mom and Kris & Teasel like this.
  22. Beth 73

I am both honored and frightened :eek::rolleyes:o_O:woot::cool:

Critter Mom likes this.
  23. MrWorfMen's Mom

AHHHH! Shucks. you are making me blush! :bighug::bighug::bighug:

Critter Mom likes this.
  24. Beth 73

Elmo's day to date:
    AMPS. 143
    +1.5. 148.....ate 30 minutes before this....thy Rx given
    +2.0. 117.....acting STARVED.."sharking the kitchen"....snack given
    +3.0. 131......no food given.....1 t Aloe given to head off any stomach upset from thy Rx
    +4.0. 143.......
    And don't you all get too comfy....come this insulin and possible meter switch you all will be once again on the Elmo hot seat:):bighug:f:):bighug:

25. Kris & Teasel

Yes, Ma'am!! (insert salute emoji)

Critter Mom likes this.
  26. MrWorfMen's Mom

HMMMM! I think we need to have a word with Elmo. Not quite the cycle I expected. We need to get into his head! Gotta run do some last minute errands so will check back in later.

And don't worry Beth, We will be keeping a close eye on you and Elmo as you take the next steps on this journey! :bighug::bighug:

Critter Mom likes this.
  27. Beth 73

:bighug::)

28. Beth 73

:bighug::)

29. Critter Mom

Be afraid. Very afraid ...

:nailbiting:

30. Beth 73

I hear Yoda saying to Luke when he said he wasn't afraid "You will be, you willlll be" ....love me some Yoda ! Also one of my Yoda life words is " Do or do not...there is no try "...:);)

31. Critter Mom

I hope you've paid Jo her royalties! ;)

32. Beth 73

Teeee heeee....that term is the best...right up there with your " don't fanny about" and " I'm still cheesed off...":)......way too much fun !!!!!

Ozzy Pawzbourne likes this.
  33. Critter Mom

Now ^this^ has really piqued my interest (saw it on Elmo's spreadsheet earlier).

Just how hungry was he, Beth?Also can you tell me exactly how many hours this happened after the dose was given this morning (to nearest quarter hour - must be the time relative to when you actually gave the injection, please).

Mogs

Last edited: Dec 23, 2016
  34. Critter Mom

Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the kitchen ...

(@Ozzy Pawzbourne - Just look what you've started, Jo! :smuggrin: )

Mogs

35. Kris & Teasel

OMG I'm cracking up here!! Hilarious on so many levels - the Jaws allusion, cat on Roomba, dressing up pets, pets that tolerate being dressed up, humans playing with their pets ... and what about that duckling?! :smuggrin::D:)

36. Ozzy Pawzbourne

Ozzy Pawzbourne Well-Known Member

Hahah! I have seen that kitty MAX the Roomba cat online many times. He's kind of famous!

Here's the link to his FB page. His kitty mama is a pretty funny lady!

https://www.facebook.com/MAXtheRoombaCAT/

Critter Mom likes this.
  37. Ozzy Pawzbourne

Looks like we started a funny new saying here....but it's really what they do! Haha!:woot:

Kris & Teasel and Critter Mom like this.
  38. Critter Mom

I like the vid in the garage (not as good soundtrack-wise but very entertaining nonetheless). :cat:

39. Critter Mom

The drooler isn't in the same league as Max. Hammerhead is not a good look for a canine.

;)

40. Ozzy Pawzbourne

Beth-hope your little Elmo has an uneventful day. I have learned that even with uneventful days, they are still fully committed days for us when we are monitoring. I hope your kitty reaches remission on your new insulin so you can finally give this all a rest and the worry for you won't be as great (I know you are still dealing with thyroid issues). Good luck today!!:cat::bighug:

41. Ozzy Pawzbourne

Hahah! The 'drooler"! Too funny. And totally agree! He's not a hammerhead, he's a knucklehead. But cute puppy, too!

42. Critter Mom

And there's more ...

(Same kitchen footage but the intro is genius! :cat: )

43. Critter Mom

Its already been adopted in this household; I think it's brilliant! :D

44. Ozzy Pawzbourne

Both Max (the cat) and Sharky (the dog) keep licking their lips in the video...hard to tell...but maybe Max wants to eat the chick and Sharky wants to eat the cat! Hahah. Probably just feeding time and that's how mama was able to get them dressed up as goofs to do that video. Just my take...:rolleyes:

45. Ozzy Pawzbourne

Figgie is our muse for this saying.....His full name is Figueroa and when he circles my legs at feeding time (literally, sometimes I almost trip over him), we started calling him Shark-ero...and then the 'sharking the kitchen' saying just stuck.

Critter Mom likes this.
  46. Ozzy Pawzbourne

This one is for you @Beth 73

Critter Mom likes this.
  47. Beth 73

:blackeye::)
    Mogs, my obsessive note taking and data collecting has more purpose than giving me peace at last:). Gave injection at 7AM and at 9:15 (15 minutes before a + 2.5 BG check) I took his BG cos of his hunger. Gave it to him just 1 t at a time to keep it from affecting BG. Took his BG , was 117. At 9:30 he still was hanging out in kitchen ( hence the use of shaking:)) .... I gave him a few tiny bits of cooked beef( no carb) and ignored him. He finally went up to his man cave . His behavior last night and this morning was more alert, active than I've seen in weeks. Not so lethargic but he is an old guy so I have to cut him a break. So, short answer....he was more hungry than usual and that occurred 2 1/4 hours after shot with a BG of 117. Last BG taken was at +4 ....back up to 143. Hmmmmmmmm.......

Critter Mom likes this.
  48. Beth 73

The best !!!! I am a HUGE Yoda fan....remember taking my dad( a huge sci if buff) to the first Star Wars film on opening night. First time we'd ever stood in line for a movie !!!

49. Beth 73

Oh......my.....goodness !!!!

Critter Mom likes this.
  50. Critter Mom

Epic!!!!

:D

51. Beth 73

Oh thank u, thank u Joanna.....hopefully Elmo and I can help you and Ozzy give real time glimpse into it all.And aren't we beyond blessed to have these ladies in our corner??? Mogs, Kris, Linda .....I tell them they r the most wonderful group of people I've never met( in person anyway) but tied together by our love of kitties . Pretty special bond:cat::cat:

52. Beth 73

Shaking ??? Shaking ??? Drat on spell check ....meant SHARKING !!!!

53. Critter Mom

Very helpful info, Beth - and great to get the additional details of Elmo's energy levels.

Not sure about tonight's cycle but tomorrow AM I would be curious to see whether reducing the dose a smidgen from what you gave today to see whether it might suit Elmo better. Reasoning behind this is that Elmo was unusually hungry after dose onset and I'm wondering whether the very quick rebound in BG levels after this event might be to compensate for the dose being a little on the strong side. Don't know how the hyperT, etc., might be influencing things but just looking at the insulin side of the equation increased appetite and liveliness point towards Elmo's body using insulin better. (Can''t quite figure out how to word things properly here. :banghead: )

Mogs

54. Critter Mom

Can't beat a bit of cultural exchange, eh? ;)

55. Ozzy Pawzbourne

Yes, agreed. I really could not feel better about this whole situation if it wasn't for the folks on this board.

And yes, Ozzy and I are watching you and Elmo. Kind of like Elmo is Ozzy's big brother... We are not following your guys' lead because we know all kitties are different and unique, but we are looking to see how Elmo does and he is doing so great and it's so hopeful for us! It's nice to see a real life example of a kitty getting better on vestulin. I know you're switching insulins soon, so will be curious to watch how Elmos does with this as well.

Critter Mom likes this.
  56. Beth 73

So glad I could provide the info...I will practice with the whole drop thing but I feel like I'm giving him next to nothing now....practice without shooting will help, I'm sure ....

Critter Mom likes this.
  57. Beth 73

I am so glad all of this is helpful !!! Love the " Elmo is Ozzy's big brother" idea :):bighug:

Critter Mom likes this.
  58. Beth 73

+7.5...151

Critter Mom and Ozzy Pawzbourne like this.
  59. Critter Mom

You doing OK, Beth?

:bighug:

60. Beth 73

Oh, Mogs, u r amazing :bighug:.....today is grey and rainy, what my grandmother called a " dingey day" and after 4 hours sleep I feel like I've been hit by a truck:confused:. I'm hoping to go to bed right after the +4 check. Good news is I got Elmo's Lantus ordered from Marks...super sweet people. Just one hour til PMPS so that's good. Wonderful job with Ozzy today....mercy I can relate :cat:

Critter Mom likes this.
  61. Critter Mom

Threw a bit of a curve ball, our Oz, didn't he! :eek:

It's a great illustration of why that extra wide safety buffer is so important; something slightly different and numbers can really tank. Thank goodness Jo did the spot check.

I hope once you get to your leaba (bed) you'll have a refreshing night's sleep, Beth. You have worked so hard and so diligently to look after dear Elmo. He's a very lucky boy to have such a wonderful kitty mama. :)

Good news on the Lantus. :cool:

62. Beth 73

Mogs, Mogs, Mogs....with all you deal with, with all you do for others and you check on me....very remarkable ....you take care of yourself tonight...may you sleep long, deep and well....you emptied yourself for Ozzy and Jo so fill up ur Mogs tank now !!!!!

Critter Mom likes this.
  63. Beth 73

64. Beth 73

Hoping Mogs is tucked in bed and sound asleep :cat:

65. Kris & Teasel

You gave a slightly smaller dose this AM, Beth so that might be why he's a bit higher. Maybe try 0.25 u minus small drop tonight. I know you had a PJ party last night on that dose but he never got down into green.

66. Critter Mom

Tonight's PMPS is pretty much the same as the last few PMPS tests.

Wondering about how hungry Elmo was in early part of AM cycle and whether bounciness is in operation?

67. Beth 73

Hi Kris !! Last night was ok til he threw the curve at + 5 which I caught cos I fell asleep on the couch....I think maybe his eating too much at +2.5 didn't help....sheesh , this cat....

68. Beth 73

Hoped u were tucked in for night....you are a woman of steel ...

69. Beth 73

Will continue to track food intake closely ....

70. Kris & Teasel

It's hard to know for sure what's happening and you are hamstrung with limited dosing options. The smallest dose you've given so far is 0.25 u minus large drop. Would you feel more comfortable with that even if he's a bit higher tonight?

71. Beth 73

Kris, honestly, I don't know what I think....needing extra guidance on this bleary night ..

72. Critter Mom

Na, just an insomniac. :rolleyes:

73. Kris & Teasel

If it was my cat and I was as tired as you are, I'd go with the safer dose of 0.25 u minus a large drop.

74. Kris & Teasel

There's really no perfect answer, just the one that satisfies the key criteria: 1. kitty needs to be safe overnight; 2. very tired bean needs a break. :)

Critter Mom likes this.
  75. Beth 73

Feeding him right now,....will give it a think ...

76. Beth 73

77. Critter Mom

Pancreas helping out? Or larger feed balancing the action of the insulin better?

78. Beth 73

Or I am losing what little mind I have left !!!!! Ahhhhhhhh.....:eek::eek::nailbiting::nailbiting:o_Oo_O:woot::woot:

Critter Mom likes this.
  79. Critter Mom

The pancreas pulses insulin at mealtimes. I don't know the nitty gritty but my basic understanding is that meal sizes have an effect on the size of subsequent pulses.

80. Beth 73

You all feel free to give me a cyber smack :blackeye:

81. Beth 73

Hmmmmm......when he has kept coming back for more food after I often give him a teaspoon of the cooked beef Dr Pat suggested.....no carb but fills belly...or could give his teaspoon of pumpkin to fill the belly space...hmmmmm

82. Kris & Teasel

Regardless of the reason you have to decide on a dose, Beth. There ... that's your cyber smack! ;)

83. Beth 73

Kris, I am really not good at choosing needs of myself over what best for especially my fur kids....I know you all know....large numbers scare the bejiggers out of me still....I need to get over that...

84. Beth 73

Oh, thank you, feel much better :)

85. Kris & Teasel

I know - fear of DKA. If we were seeing pink or red that would be something to be concerned about.

86. Beth 73

Going tomorrow with script from vet to get u100 syringes ...

87. Beth 73

Which helps me bupkis tonight....just thot I'd share ;)

88. Beth 73

Ok , ok...drum roll...it's .25 minus large drop....I think.....kidding :):bighug:;)

89. Kris & Teasel

Hurray! He'll be OK, Beth.

90. Beth 73

91. Critter Mom

Only if you ask us very nicely, Beth! ;)

92. MrWorfMen's Mom

Looks like Elmo has you smiley-whacky097.gif Beth! He's giving you a work out and you are handling it very well! I like your decision tonight. I really do think there is some thyroid med action and maybe some pancreatic action going on causing his cycle to change up and perhaps his insulin needs to reduce. In cases like this, I say you trump (nothing political here!) Elmo when it comes to whose needs get met first unless Elmo is in urgent need of your assistance. If he's a bit higher so be it. He's sitting in pretty good numbers now and eating very well so no worries about DKA.

I see you girls were having a very good giggle in my absence today. Wish I'd been here but I enjoyed reading all of it. I'm pouting now 'cause I missed the party!

Critter Mom likes this.
  93. Beth 73

Thank u Mogsfor ur encouragement ...I don't know how u do it...honestly I believe u r wired with a servants heart..very special. Realized today I was making Goofy mistakes from sluggishness so tonight will be reviving ...I sure don't need to be driving til I get rested for sure...we live in a small town with just two stoplights and I had yrouble navigating them today....not good for sure !!!!

Critter Mom likes this.
  94. Critter Mom

For reference, if ever you see unusual hunger (either at an odd time or more ravenous than usual) then it needs to be treated as a red flag. The first thing to do is check blood glucose levels and then feed 'proper' food as circumstances dictate in order to maintain BG in safe numbers.

(Note: Sometimes a kitty may be hungrier at higher BG levels but is is always best to test and make sure that the kitty is not running too low.)

Mogs

95. MrWorfMen's Mom

You DO need some ZZZZZZZ's. animated-lol-sign-image-0035.jpg

Critter Mom likes this.
  96. Beth 73

Elmo +1.5 ...114.....down from 193... giving snack now

97. MrWorfMen's Mom

With my girl there is only a tiny difference in her meow (she's very vocal) and behaviour as to whether she is unusally high or too low or even what she thinks is low but all can trigger her to become absolutely insistent about getting food. While I THINK I can discern the difference now, I always test her to confirm my suspicions and then I deal with her being grumpy and finally going off to pout if she high and not due for her shot or snack. :cat:

Critter Mom likes this.
  98. MrWorfMen's Mom

That's a substantial drop for that early compared to what he was doing but his nadir the last couple of cycles has seemed to be a bit earlier anyway. I'd check him again at +2 and see if he's still dropping or surfing.

Critter Mom likes this.
  99. Beth 73

@Critter Mom .....look what Elmo just did .....what happened to my quiet night ...ahhhhhh.....:eek:

Critter Mom likes this.
  100. Beth 73

Thank u, Linda....just ate rest of his meal from earlier...what do u think of vet telling me to let him eat up to two hours after first started eating which is 1/2 hour before shoot...hopes that makes sense...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.