12/28 Checkers AMBG 83, +7 97, +11 95, PMPS 106, +1.5 74, +3 86

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Lukewithcats, Dec 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lukewithcats

Lukewithcats Member

checkers reacted alot more to the dose last night than expected. I think he earned a reduction but i don't know if i need to use 0.1 or not. It is tempting to skip but i understand thats not the best thing to do but i would like to go into work today which makes it hard to watch checkers for at least a few hours.

last thread

Last edited: Dec 28, 2015
  2. Andy & Pimp

Andy & Pimp Well-Known Member

I would skip if you can't monitor. You could shoot 0.1 tonight when you can be around.

3. Lukewithcats

Lukewithcats Member

that is what i was thinking but I found out last night that night time may not be the best time to experiment. I guess maybe i could shave dosing back an hour and that would give me alittle more time before i passout lol.

Looks like you were right about the 0.1 last night. Live and learn.

4. Andy & Pimp

Andy & Pimp Well-Known Member

There's no right or wrong answer here! We're all just learning from each other's experience:)

You could shoot as soon as you get home tonight, because you're skipping this morning. If you can do that by 6pm, then you shouldn't have to be up much past midnight, but it will set your AM shot time earlier too.

5. Amy&TrixieCat

Amy&TrixieCat Well-Known Member

I agree....0.1 is a teeny tiny dose, but it still can pack a punch and if you can't monitor, skipping is a good idea. Checkers is really working that itty bitty drop of juice!!

6. Doodles & Karen

Doodles & Karen Well-Known Member

If you are following SLGS then he earned a reduction if TR, technically you would hold the dose. However if you are not able to monitor today I'd skip.

7. Lukewithcats

Lukewithcats Member

I think i'm running TR in themost part although a checkers custom version apparently. The problem is i'm very proactive when I see low numbers so I rarely get a reading under 50, technically I should wait until he drops under 50 to treat but in times like last night where he hit low numbers very early into his cycle then I think that should be counted as reduction numbers, I had to put a lot of effort into getting him to eat and had to give him gravy multiple times last night. He never went under 50 in a test but I am very confident he would have if I didn't act and he may have gone under in many of the untested hours
    I know I should wait to act but I just cant stand sitting by knowing hes low, I can see it in him when he gets into the 50's generally, hes uncomfortable when laying down and starts ignoring me when I call him. We are very close and when I call he generally answers even now when he knows its probably going to end up with blood being drawn he still comes but if his numbers get in the low 50's he stops coming and can be hard to get over to the food and generally just gives me a kind of glazed over stare. If I go pick him up or something and get him active then he will shake it off abit and go eat but he would probably wait for even lower numbers before becoming famished and rampaging the food bowl if I didn't step in I think.

I think he is ready for 0.1, I will practice some some tonight. when it comes to 0.1 should that basicy be the smallest amount possible I can fit in the syringe? So basicly just pull the lunger back just the tiniest bit?

8. Doodles & Karen

Doodles & Karen Well-Known Member

9. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

He was surfing nicely last night but that was giving insulin after skipped shots so not much depot. If you need to leave I'd skip. I don't give dosing advice but that being said I think I would try the .1 when you do shoot again.

10. Michelle and Mannie (GA)

Michelle and Mannie (GA) Well-Known Member

I concur with the others. Sometime it is just best to skip when one cannot be home to monitor. Safety first, imho. Very nice amps Checkers!

11. Lukewithcats

Lukewithcats Member

went ahead and gave him what i think is 0.1 but i dont know, still not feeling this measurement, the pictures i see look like more then 0.1 to me with the plunger normally being able to pass past at least partially past the zero line on my needles atleast. I'm thinking better be reliable then exact so i tried to memorize exactly where the plunger was but ofcourse i get a syringe with a bad line drawn on it so had to basicly ignore lines. i guess we will see how he does and if no apparent change we know i went to low and if a big change too high.

12. MollynSkooter

MollynSkooter Well-Known Member

This is when calipers come in SUPER handy.....the measurements aren't the same from syringe to syringe, and I did notice a difference when I started using calipers. I don't even look at the syringe lines anymore, just match up my calipers and off I shoot. One thing you can do is pull up what you think is the 0.10 with colored water and have that as a guide, but again, because the markings aren't the same, there is no promise it will be the same dose.

I might have missed something, but I don't see that he went under 50 to earn the reduction to 0.10? Is there a number missing on his spreadsheet?

13. Lukewithcats

Lukewithcats Member

it's hard to explain and probably not well liked but i generally go with under 55 instead of under 50 as earning a reduction. I'm more comfortable reacting alittle earlier, he doesnt seem to like those levels at all so i try to keep his time that low to a minimum. Also after +2 last night i was giving high carb food for pretty much 6 hours straight and he was only just staying above 50.

14. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Paws crossed this dose will be one you can shoot twice a day.

15. Lukewithcats

Lukewithcats Member

me to. i do want him on insulin for longer to give him more time to recoup. I'm hoping this dose will be it but i'm pretty much not able to use the needle to measure these doses so it may take me a few times to dial in the tiny dose to something he can shoot twice a day. i drew up a little diagram to record exactly where the plunger was in comparison to the needles tapered end so hopefully i can adjust the small dose up or down now and although i wont know exactly what the dose is it will be repeatable and certainly close to 0.1

checkers got alittle hyper again today, seems like his ideal BG is around 90 or so i think. probably just below blue seems to be his favorite BG assuming he gets hyper when feeling his best.can't explain how nice it is to see him hyper after so long and now hes done it three times in the last week so i'm certainly happy with that.

16. Melanie and Smokey

Melanie and Smokey Well-Known Member

I've done this through 5 sugar cats now without getting calipers to be more exact. All went into remission despite my sloppiness ;) Just try to be consistent. As long as your 0.1 is lower than 0.25, then you've given reduction. As long as you have drawn insulin into the syringe, it will be bigger than 0.0. If you aim for the same spot when you draw, then you should be consistent enough.

Hopefully the 0.1 will give you the confidence to shoot the lower numbers and give him some insulin support for a little longer.

17. Lukewithcats

Lukewithcats Member

just did +3 and for once its actually somewhere i would have guessed. he didn't eat until probably 45 mins after pmps so his rise for +3 was fitting I think. Good to see his BG go up with food as often it seems he's had a hard time raising it after getting his shot. Perhaps this is his dose finally. Wishfull thinking no doubt but i can hope : ). not sure how many more tests i'll be able to get done tonight but hopefully i will get +4 or close to it before i have to hit the hay.

Hopefully we can stop skipping doses for awhile now fingers crossed.

Chris & China (GA) likes this.
  18. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Looking good so far Checkers!!

Now just stay right there and surf those pretty 80's!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.