12/29 Logan Vet Update

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Kelly & Logan, Dec 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kelly & Logan

Kelly & Logan Well-Known Member

We're back from the vet! We made it there and back w/o vomiting. Since I couldn't give him treats or anything this morning, we skipped testing and only gave him 2.5 units (vs 4). We weren't sure if and when he'd eat today.

They took the blood but most likely won't have results until late next week. She went ahead and gave us anti-nausea medication to start today. If that doesn't help his appetite, we have a stimulant we can start him on, as well. She also went ahead and gave us the prednisolone to possibly start later this week if we don't feel like the anti-nausea is enough. She said we will most likely be starting that once we get the results, anyway. She's starting him on a very low dose for now so we're hoping it doesn't cause too much of a spike in his blood sugar.

She said it could be lymphoma even though the aspirates they sent in a couple of weeks ago were negative. She said she doesn't think that it is lymphoma, but she has to warn us that it is a possibility and that the only way to know for sure would be to do exploratory surgery. She (and we) think it's just pancreatitis, though. We're going to hold at 4 units for now unless we see ketones in his urine.

So, we'll see how this round of meds go! He's very jumpy and is hiding a lot. He's breaking my heart.

2. Roni and Moonie

Roni and Moonie Well-Known Member

Logan is very resilient-dont let your heart break just yet--Healing vines To sweet Logan..Get better soon!

3. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Hopefully, the meds will knock out the pancreatitis and Logan will come out of hiding. I hate it when my guys do that sort of thing. I feel so helpless.

4. Kelly & Logan

The hiding is awful! He's never acted like he was afraid of me before so that's a tough one to take. He's eaten a couple of FF appetizers since we got home. He's now working on a FF elegant medley - higher carb than I'd like but he won't touch anything else right now!

He's very happy to be home from the vet's office! This was the first time I met the internist in person. We've spoken over the phone several times. She's really nice and seems to have quite a bit of experience dealing with these kitties.

5. Heather and Jasper

Heather and Jasper Member

((((Kelly and Logan)))))

sending healing vines your way

6. Barbara and tuffy

Barbara and tuffy Well-Known Member

(((Kelly - Logan))), Snowflakes and healing vines your way. I'm sure he will stop hiding once the vet trip experience wears off. Sooner rather than later.

7. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

So sad to hear about the hiding; it's rough because you want to make it all better.
    Let's hope that naughty ff can coax him out and you can give him some good cuddles.

Best of luck on getting some good results next week and hope that Logan comes around a bit with the meds.
    I am sure he knows that you want to make him better, but I think some times, they need some away time sort of, to lick their wounds. Once he settles down, knows he's safe at home again, he'll come around.

8. Nina and KB

Nina and KB Well-Known Member

Glad the trip didn't involve tossing his cookies.

Going through something similar with my KB. Do you know what tests they're going to run?

9. Cassandra and Sasha

Cassandra and Sasha Well-Known Member

(((Kelly)))(((Logan)))

I hope the meds help him feel better soon.

10. Randi & Max (GA)

Randi & Max (GA) Well-Known Member

Kelly
    I hope Logan feels better. Sending some healing vines your way. Just quickly on the board to check on Max and i saw this.
    I wanted youto know that I am thinking of you guys.
    I wish I could visit everyones condo like I do at home but tge minutes go by to fast on the ship.
    Be well.

11. Caryl & Sebastian & Alex (GA)

Caryl & Sebastian & Alex (GA) Well-Known Member

((((Kelly&Logan)))) I hate when my cats hide too. I feel so helpless. Sending healing thoughts and big hugs to you and Logan. Hang in there ♥

12. Kelly & Logan

Nina, they're going to run a full GI panel at TX A&M - it includes the fpli, tli, folate and B12. Sorry you're having similar issues with KB. They have to fast for 12 hours for the panel - in case you have it done for KB.

We'll be testing him for PMPS in another 1 1/2. We got a little off schedule this morning b/c he went into hiding as soon as I got out the insulin! He's more alert this evening so maybe he's feeling a little better. We'll see how he eats.

13. Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA)

Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

((Kelly))
    Logan hates going to the vet and he probably feared having to stay there.... :cry:
    He will settle down soon now that he is back home....
    Poor baby...he just wants to relax a little...and get over his anxiety...right?
    I feel so bad for you....it'll be ok....hope he eats tonight for you and gets back to relaxing...

14. Kelly & Logan

Re: 12/29 Logan PMPS 325

Not too bad since he only had 2.5 units. Of course, he's only eaten a few FF appetizers today. We went back to 4 units tonight. He ate about 1 1/2 FF appetizers w/about a tbsp of Merrick mixed in. He then ate about 1/2 can of FF Elegant Medleys Turkey Fare.

We'll see how the anti-nausea works tonight and tomorrow. If it's not doing the trick, we'll give him the appetite stimulant tomorrow evening.

Thanks, everyone, for the well wishes and warm thoughts. It's so nice to have the support of this board. You're the only ones that truly understand!

Everyone else thinks we're nuts!!!! :lol:

15. Kelly & Logan

The appy stimulant prescribed was Mirtazapine. Does anyone here have any experience with this? How long does it take for it to start working?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.