12/5 Autumn she's doing it, she's pulling herself down!

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by MommaOfMuse, Dec 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MommaOfMuse

MommaOfMuse Well-Known Member

Because we're at +24 since a mighty bounce last night @ +8 and she's still dropping!!! Not about to shoot a still falling 131 :D

Mel and The Fur Gang

2. tibbs5

tibbs5 Well-Known Member

Re: 12/4 Why Autumn has no condo today.

i hope you are sleeping tonight Mel .

3. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Seconded. Nice numbers today please, Autumn.

4. terriy

terriy Member

Sweet! dancing_cat

5. RobinCot

RobinCot Well-Known Member

Oh my....

We're looking at more party hats!!!

6. MommaOfMuse

Re: 12/5 Autumn ambg-239 @ +36

Miss Autumn after no insulin at all for the last 36 hours just turned in 236 after hitting 40 last night so with her history lately of steep dives I'm withholding insulin today and just watching the numbers. Now she just give me a 414 +1 after eating so will be testing very few hours today to see if she can pull herself down. Also I'm stalking her to the litter box with ketostix in hand every time she heads for the litter box. Just got her first ketone test and we are negative.

Right now the plan is to let her fly solo for the next few days, deplete her shed, and then IF she needs insulin again restart at the absolutely lowest dose I can measure and go from there.

Not the way I would prefer to do this, but I'm out of ideas on how to stop her steep dives and sky high bounces. Nor is this a recommended way to do this, but for us this is kind of a Hail Mary pass. Of course should she give me even a trace on a ketone test the little Miss will go right back on the juice. But I've stared at her spreadsheet for hours over the last couple of months since her dental and all I keep seeing is that she heads down as her dose should be wearing off, and races up when I give insulin. So basically she goes up when she should be going down because her insulin has kicked in and down as the insulin should be waning. So this weekend we are just going to grit our teeth, and try to ride out any high numbers and she where she settles out sans Lev.

On other news...Cassanova is at day 10 of being back to OTJ this morning he came in a 114 and that was after catching him happily munching on a piece of toast with honey on it that daddy dropped. :roll:

Mel and The Fur Gang

7. RobinCot

Way to go Cassanova... on getting to the toast before the other 13!!!!

..and for giving us another party to look forward to although it might be days before I see Alska again after the big Saoirse party going on now.

Now Autumn... she's just baffling

8. MommaOfMuse

That is an understatement Robin.

Remember how steady and predictable she was before that emergency surgery? Where did that kitty go? :dizcat

These last few months its been like seeing a car wreck about to happen and being able to do nothing to get out of the way. And since that surgery she has definitely not had a typical flat Levemir curve. I'm at my wits end with her. So finally just going for it and seeing if at the very least I can stop the dives and bounces. Plus it has been something to try that both Jill and Libby who have WAY more experience with this dance than me have also suggested, but I have up until now been resisting because I just so hate seeing her in those high numbers. But I'm out of ideas, short of putting her on a shorter duration insulin, and Lantus is right out for her, because of the personality change that it causes with her.

One of those things where just when you think you figured them out, something happens and all the rules change. :roll:

Mel and The Fur Gang

9. LindaMS

LindaMS Well-Known Member

I like the trial idea very much for Autumn. And, as you say, if nothing else, you will be "rebooting" and starting fresh.

10. Critter Mom

Saoirse's numbers started doing the opposite of what they should have been doing just before her pancreas stepped up a gear, but that was on Lantus. Not sure if that's any help to you, Mel. :?

11. MommaOfMuse

That's my thought as well, because that's how Cass went off the first time as well and he was also a Lev cat. It was like his body was fighting even the feel of any extraneous insulin. Almost like it would sense an over production of insulin and instantly start the self-protect mode.

All I know right now is I have to stop the roller coaster before I can figure out what her dose should be. So hating right now seeing her up into the reds but at least she's flat at the moment... :? And watching her sleeping and purring beside me at the moment she doesn't act like she does when she is just plain too high, her demeanor is more like when she's in good numbers or just high from a bounce. She also slept the whole night last night cuddled up on my side, and was handing out kisses to Jon and I this morning which she normally only does when she is feeling good.

This drives home the Every Cat Is Different! After 4 years and 5 sugarcats if this was a nice neat formula I'd have her completely figured out and she would be steady as a rock.

Mel and The Fur Gang

12. MommaOfMuse

Well after just about stopping my heart with a having the meter greeting me by simply saying HI (over 600) at her second breakfast test, tonight she came in at a lovely and sunny 245. Now to see where she goes tonight and by tomorrow morning. Keeping all fingers, toes and paws crossed.

Mel and The Fur Gang

13. tibbs5

tibbs5 Well-Known Member

come on Autumn. come down for your mama

14. Laura & Heffernan

Laura & Heffernan Member

C'mon Autumn, Momma needs to sleep & plan a party.

15. MommaOfMuse

Thanks Ladies,

Right now I will take just plain flat, don't real care where she flattens out at I'd even take flat pinks or reds. I truly expect to start her back on insulin in about the next 72 hours as soon as the counter-regulatory hormones clear her system from all the swinging she's been doing recently. Realistically Autumn will always the party hostess and never the guest of honor. She was just left untreated too long after she was diagnosed as a diabetic, and she's borderline hypothyroid and well she is just plain old. But that's okay as long as she is happy, healthy, and comfortable.

Mel and The Fur Gang

16. Voula

Voula Well-Known Member

Best wishes to Autumn and Cassanova too.

17. Critter Mom

And she's surrounded by love. cat_pet_icon That's a recipe for a good life. :smile:

18. MizTorq

MizTorq Member

And how is Miss Autumn this morning? I've been trying to catch up on the board after being away for a bit. My daughter just go here Thursday evening, so it's been a bit of a whirlwind, but I've been thinking of you and your furries.

Judi

19. RobinCot

Well that's okay... that's more than okay is Autumn is a sugarcat for life because so is Alska and as long as we concentrate on their day to day comfort and happiness, then what we do for them is good even if they never go OTJ. Alska likes to attend parties anyway.

Yesterday I had the opportunity to talk to a woman who is considering fostering a sugar and I told her that there is something really special about a relationship with one. I can't explain it, it's just very special. She got tears in her eyes as she went to sign up for fostering. I myself saw a cat that was very large, looked like my Wally (GA) and acted like my Bing. I am seriously considering fostering (to adopt) this big boy after the holidays. He may be just the medicine for Bing although I may not have much of a house left.

20. Critter Mom

That is very, very true, Robin. I remember when I took Saoirse back to the vets in June to insist on having diagnostic tests run because she was so poorly. Her abdomen was badly distended and the examining vet was concerned that there might be fluid built up in her abdomen. She told me that if Saoirse did have a fluid build-up then it would be a sign of "nothing good" and that I might only have her for "a few months - maybe a year". I felt like I wanted to throw up and faint simultaneously. When the preliminary tests came back and indicated that Saoirse was diabetic I was over the moon because it is a treatable condition. The fluid moving around in her abdomen was a full bladder - she was drinking nearly 3/4 of a litre of water a day at the time.

Going OTJ is a nice-to-have, not a need-to-have. Keeping our little ones happy and comfortable with good quality of life is what's truly important. cat_pet_icon :smile:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.