12 yr. old Ollie - new here:

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Pola, Sep 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pola

Pola New Member

Hello from 12 yr. old Ollie - new here. Diagnosed Dec. 2014. Started with 1 unit, then 1.5 units, now 2 units. Pro-zinc. We see a cat- only vet here. pneumothorax 10 yrs. ago - chest tube. (mild asthma) prednisolone twice daily since... we tried to reduce the 2.5 mg. Pred. to once a day, but it did not work. We almost lost him last week with another pneumothorax ... we think when he jumped or fell off the high bed. I lowered the bed to the floor. This cat has 2o lives. He feels much better SINCE The pneumothorax than he did before.. His lung healed on its own, after the vet tapped him. He was on oxygen overnight,.... I found a great cat B-12 supplement called Zobaline -.. He has also had pancreatitis and IBD. He now stands and grooms, and looks better than he has in months ! ER vet wanted to do a glucose curve test. I will ask the regular vet when he returns next week. I have to be away for 3 nights, but someone will sleep with him and feed 3 times daily. He has to eat every 4 hours or so. I have 4 other kitties. He's on canned food. I'm here to learn more, and to find out how to put weight on him...(more insulin?) he drinks and eats ALLOT. (no vomiting, normal stools)
    IMG_0020.JPG

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Welcome.
    ProZinc is a good insulin and Zobaline is good for neuropathy which many unregulated diabetic cats have.
    It is likely that the pred caused the diabetes but it seems that Ollie needs it.
    Most of us here test or cats blood glucose at home using a human meter. We test before each shot and periodically between shots. We record our reading and other info in a spreadsheet. See:http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/...te-a-ss-and-link-it-in-your-signature.130337/
    What canned food are you feeding? A low-carb canned is best. No reason for a prescription food. Here is a list of commercial low-carb cannedhttp://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/shortcut-shopping-list-all-8-or-less-updated.117688/

Here is a link to home testing blood sugars http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/hometesting-links-and-tips.287/

3. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Something they do in humans with spontaneous pneumothorax is fuse the diaphragm to surrounding tissues (my brother had this done). It is painful and should be done under anesthesia (which they didn't do for my brother!). You might discuss this with your vet if it is a recurring problem.

4. Pola

Pola New Member

Thank you, Larry and Kitties ! I appreciate the info. Are you talking about a glucose curve test that you do at home ?

5. Pola

Pola New Member

Thank you, ....will ask the vet -- but the vet says No anesthesia for Ollie.

6. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Yes. Doing a curve at the vet is typically not representative of at-home BGs since vet stress can raise BG by 100 (USA) or more points.

7. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

If you need help with testing at home, just ask. We have videos and lots of tips.

We put together a protocol for ProZinc. It is in blue in my signature.

8. Pola

Pola New Member

OK, thank you Larry.

9. Pola

Pola New Member

OK - Thanks Sue -- I will be back to read your info. and learn how to test when i return in a few days. (end of next week) In the meantime, he's stable.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.