123 211 127 hike?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by RobbiesMom, Sep 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RobbiesMom

RobbiesMom Member

wish I could get a day of testing in - but life and those poor bruised up ears have stopped me - so amps 123 n/s pmps 211 .40 +3 127 - Robbie has had about 1/10 of the dry food today than he did 4 months ago and about 3/4 of what he was getting a couple of weeks ago. Sunday when I'll be home most of the day and can feed him JUST wet and some cooked chicken treats I'll see how much I can test him (+2 +4 +6 etc. ) and see what is going on.
    Gotta read up on when ProZinc seems to peak for most etc.

2. Laurie and Mr Tinkles

Laurie and Mr Tinkles Well-Known Member

The nadir on ProZinc is usually between +4 and +7, BUT during the first 45 days, it can move around. For many cats, the nadir starts out early in the cycle (+4-+5) and then moves to later in the cycle(+6-+7) as you approach the end of the 45 day adjustment period. However, remember that ECID...the only way to know when your cat's nadir is is to test.

Feel free to look at Tinkles' SS, we used ProZinc for 3 months and I'm a testaholic so there's lots of data.

3. RobbiesMom

RobbiesMom Member

First let me say Mr. Tinkles is HANDSOME - secondly - WOW on the test info, will you come prick Robbie's ears? lol - looks like things might be leveling off - hope so - thanks so much for the input.

4. Laurie and Mr Tinkles

Laurie and Mr Tinkles Well-Known Member

Ellen, thanks for the compliment, Robbie is quite the looker too...the orinch boys are da bomb! On the ear poking...Tinkles hated it in the beginning, most cats don't like it until they make the connection with treats....cats will put up with almost anything for food! :lol: Now, I say "testy time" and Tinkles follows me to the testing spot, waits for me to put him on the counter, and lays down, purring...waiting for me to test him so he can have his treat. No need to hold him, just grab the ear and poke, he never even stops purring. ;-)

It will get easier, I promise! Keep at it, before you know it, it will be just part of the everyday routine. :smile:

5. gingerand((calliope))(GA)

gingerand((calliope))(GA) Member

Things are looking so good, here. The weekend is almost here and maybe you can get some more data. You're doing a great job and Robbie must be feeling so much better!

6. RobbiesMom

RobbiesMom Member

oh, BOY is he feeling better - he was ripping around the house this morning like a kitten - up and down the cat tree freaking the other cat and the dog out - not to mention me.
    Robbie will do anything for a treat for sure - but I know from experience he gets to a point, pig that he is, that even a treat won't make him put up with something. I've been here with the asthma mask - he was on inhaled meds for almost 2 years (and will be going back on them at some point I'm sure) and for a long time he was fine with me holding the little mask over his snout. He got a piece of ham as a reward (a big favorite) I even trained him to put his nose into the mask by putting a small piece of ham inside it. But after about 9 months he started getting pissy about it - won't come, would walk away when he saw me pull it out of the drawer. Now granted I did cut back on the size of the ham piece cause he was gaining weight at that point like a pregnant woman. Finally one day he just put his paw on my hand and PUSHED me away with such force I dropped the spacer and the mask and the canister. After that it was a fight and I just gave up cause he would stay "angry" for hours - sulking, hissing at his sister, flicking his tail when I'd try to make up with him. It so changed who he was that I stopped and started him on prednisone pills as/when needed for no more than 10 days full cycle - start out with a full pill once or twice a day and than cut back gradually till it was 1/2 pill every other day and stop. So - I worry about the testing - but I give him treats and the idea of trying to get him to lay down on a table is a good one - right now I have my hubby hold him or I kind of sit next to him and get him in a corner on his perch so he can't bolt.
    Thanks for all the input everyone - and the encouragement - My first 2 cats (childhood and in my 20's) were SO easy - NEVER sick, never a thing wrong (two dsh calico girls) now it's been cardiomyopathy, asthma, mega colon, diabetes.... oh, brother! Plus when he was being treated for the constipation the vet pointed out to me that his hips are a mess - he's got arthritis and a CHIP in one of them - we can only guess he fell off the cat tree and we just never knew he was hurt (???) makes me feel horrible - I mean I am all over this cat - but sure enough saw it myself in the x-ray a tiny chip... Poor big guy.

Yes, the orange boys are da bomb - big, mushy, clowns...

7. gingerand((calliope))(GA)

gingerand((calliope))(GA) Member

Robbie sounds like a character. Like you, until Calliope got FD and a few other things after that, all my kitties have been easy. It was strange, though, how treating her brought us closer than we were and I didn't think we could get any closer. She was an "in your face" kitty with me. Always wanted to be right next to me and to be petted constantly. I got her at 4 weeks and had to feed her because she couldn't eat on her own. She really thought I was Mom.

I love those kitties, though. Have to have them around in sickness or in health!

The thing I don't like about kitties is that they don't let you know something's wrong until it's been around a while and that's frustrating like Robbie having the chip or the messed up hips. You can't feel guilty because it's just the nature of kitties and we all do our best. You're doing a great job!

Calliope never ever liked being tested, but while she moaned and whined, I just told her this was for her own good and if she wanted to be mad at me, fine, but she was feeling better because I could test and figure out how to help her. Once I stopped moaning and whining, myself, while I tested, things got better. I still had to wrap her in the blanket and bundle her up against me on the kitchen island, but she squirmed less and whined less. She knew she wasn't going to talk me into stopping, I guess!

8. RobbiesMom

RobbiesMom Member

I hear you and I also just noticed that calliope went to the Rainbow Bridge and I am so sorry to hear that - I didn't notice before - my condolances for your loss.
    I guess I have to just pin him down. I've been trying so hard to make this NOT so unpleasant but tonight he thrashed around so much JUST at the wrong moment that I poked his poor ear like 3 times in wrong spots - finally had hubby strangle hold him almost - all the while before this I was feeding him chicken - go figure- he's 168 so no shot now and if I can stand it and his ear doesn't look like dracula was at it I'll test at +3 and see where he is.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.