13 Year old cat with diabetes and renal failure

Discussion in 'Welcome to the Group - Post an Introduction Here' started by Opticheart, Sep 20, 2017.

1. Opticheart

Opticheart Member

I have a male cat and for 1o years he was fine. Last year he was diagnosed with diabetes. We put him on Lantus insulin and fed him the Purina Pro Plan DM diet. That kicked into remission and we were continuing along great for about six months then I brought him in for his check up. The doctor as part of his regular check-up did a urine check and found out that he was in Stage 2 Renal failure due to the DM food that we were feeding him.

So we stopped the DM and tried to find a food that would support both conditions. They came up with Royal Canin Senior Consult. My cat will not touch it.

I did a curve which remained high. Now my glucometer is not reading properly. I bought a One Touch Verio and it was working fine now it keeps asking for the Control Solution. I've used that twice but it won't read properly. Yesterday I had him into the vet and they did a comparison between my meter and their "pet" glucometer. There's was about 4-5 points higher.

He won't eat, I haven't given him insulin today and I'm worried sick. The strips are probably older than six months so it might be the strips. I really don't know what to do. Yesterday my vet was not in and the vet I saw was useless when it came to diabetes. She said she was unfamiliar at what their breath should smell like if they go into ketosis. What kind of vet would say that? The vet assistant didn't even know how to get my meter to work. He brought it out into the waiting room. All you have to do is stick the strip in and it reads.

I am so worried. He won't eat, I can't get a good reading and my vet is AWOL and I'm waiting to see if they can come up with another food that he will like that will support both diseases. I'm wondering if it might be better to put my buddy down. Please help if you can!

2. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Welcome. Don't give up! You have come to the right place. I do not know about the renal failure component so I will not attempt to advise on food, but I am sure there are going to be others who jump in and help you out with that. I do know about the frustration with vets that do not know enough about diabetes to be helpful. Unfortunately, it seems that there are a lot of those around, and that puts it on our shoulders to have to educate ourselves to make sure our babies get the appropriate care. Regarding your meter - Could you get new strips and see if that is the problem? Or, maybe it is worth buying a new meter at this point? You could also get the strips that can be used to check for ketones in the urine.

I suggest that you post your questions on the Main Health Forum so that they will get more attention than here in the introduction forum.

3. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

Welcome. There are a number of caregivers and cats balancing diabetes and kidney disease.

Please repost in the Main Health Forum where more eyes will catch your post.

Like feline diabetes, kidney problems are also a steep learning curve. This is the bible: http://www.felinecrf.org

4. Opticheart

Opticheart Member

Thank you! I will post to the main health forum!