13 yr old, one month on insulin developed vaginal discharge

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by SylviaNyc, Jul 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SylviaNyc

SylviaNyc New Member

Hi Everyone,

My 13 year old spayed female is newly diagnosed with diabetes and is doing a lot better. I give her 2 insulin shots a day.

After 2 weeks she developed chin acne and a vaginal discharge (creamy off white).
    The vet gave me Orbax/ Orbifloacin which cleared up the chin acne & (and me cleaning her chin 3x @ day with peroxide.

She still has the discharge. I've googled this and can't find any information.

Has anyone had this happen? Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Sylvia

2. Harley Baby & Michele

Harley Baby & Michele Member

Hello, my cat had vaginal drainage years ago; it was an infection and she was put on antibiotics. Unfortunately, I can not remember the name or the details. Did your Vet culture the drainage for infection? If it is still present you may need to have it tested.

3. SylviaNyc

SylviaNyc New Member

Hi Michele & Harley Baby,

No, the vet didn't culture it, and I brought him a tiny sample. It started a couple weeks after I started giving her insulin, and he gave me Orbax,
    one type of antibiotics. I'll have him test it.

I will ask him to look it up, and give me another type of antibiotics. Since it only started after giving her insulin I thought it might be a more
    common occurrence.

It's just a very small amount on her.

Thanks for your help.

Sylvia

"We need another wiser and more mystical concept of animals. They are not underlings, they are another nation caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow travelers of the splendor and travail of the earth."
    --Henry Beston

4. Harley Baby & Michele

Harley Baby & Michele Member

Oh boy. :banghead: I had a complete brain fart! I did not realize Orbax was an antibiotic; I was thinking of some type of face cleanser. No idea what. Anyway, maybe you can just call your vet and let her/him know if you finished the antibiotic but discharge still present. Might save the cost of a visit.

https://www.cat-world.com.au/vaginal-discharge-in-cats.html

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.