14 days!!

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Chez, Jul 23, 2019.

1. Chez

Chez Member

So wimbley made 14 days no insulin! His numbers have been steady in the 50's and 60's. So I guess hes officially in remission. Has anyone ever had a 2 week diabetic cat? Is it even possible to go into remission after only being diagnosed 2 weeks prior? I have a sneaking suspicion he was mis diagnosed and it was just some sort of infection at play. But I can't seem to google what infection that can give a false positive diabetes diagnosis. It makes me CRAZY because if he wasnt diabetic to begin with I could have seriously hurt him. Either way both my cats will remain on their new diet and no more dry food they both slightly hate me for it but they both seem to be more energetic and playful now. I will continue to test wimbley probably every other day for a while. If anyone has any experience with false positive diabetes in cats id like to hear from you!! Thanks for all your help and support!

Harukyo likes this.
  2. Lisa and little

Lisa and little Well-Known Member

Congratulations!! So glad he is OTJ. While it’s possible that something else was going on with him at the time of diagnosis, It is probably more likely that just the diet change was enough and he is now a diet controlled diabetic. So happy for both of you!

3. Sarah&Soph

Sarah&Soph Member

Yay, congrats to you and Wimbley!

4. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Congratulations! I agree that the diet change is probably key here. There are actually quite a few cats whose glucose is managed by diet change alone. Don't question it, just enjoy it! :)

5. Harukyo

Harukyo Member

Yay!! Congratulations on OTJ!! I love hearing every time another kitty gets to the falls! And great work to you! Managing diabetes is no easy task!

6. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Idjit had 11 days of insulin, he has been diet controlled since May, 2018 and we are hoping he stays in remission forever. We do test at least once a month, should do more often, but when I think of it DH is off somewhere and we work as a team. I still watch him closely for any changes in eating habits or a return to the water bowl, or peeing excessively.

Congratulations Chez and Wimbley, this is a great day and you should enjoy it! Welcome to The Falls, Wimbley. :otj::otj::joyful::D:p

7. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

Congratulations! Keep testing Wimbley weekly for a couple of months and then you can back off to biweekly or monthly if you like. Personally I just test every Monday and that makes it easier for me not to forget and will allow me to catch any elevation and deal with it swiftly if my girl relapses.

Whether Chez was misdiagnosed or is diet controlled doesn't really matter. While I understand your concern about a misdiagnosis, it has also opened the door for you to take steps to try to avoid diabetes in the future for both your fur kids. I have seen a few cats that appeared to have been misdiagnosed however it's difficult if not impossible to say for sure after the fact. It could be that kitty was pre-diabetic and the diet change made all the difference.

May you and Chez enjoy many years at the Falls!

Idjit's mom likes this.
  8. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

Congratulations!