144 pre-shot, first time. Advice?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Karen&Rocket, Jun 21, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Karen&Rocket

Karen&Rocket Member

(Apologies for posting here and in the ProZinc forum; not a 911, but shot is due in about an hour and looking for advice.) :)

Hello :) Rocket has been on a fairly high dose of ProZinc (4.5U 2x/day) for a little over a week. His dosage has been raised slowly at the advice of both of his vets due to high, fairly flat curves. Anyway, we had his teeth cleaned a week ago (cleaned, a little gum infection, but no extractions), and this morning, about an hour and a half before his AM shot, we got a 144. This is the first time he's been low before his shot. I realize this could be a false reading, so I'll test again right before his shot in about an hour. If it's still low, any advice? I've read lots of threads here about skipping, waiting half an hour, or lowering the dose, but since he's on a good-sized dose, I want to be extra careful. I should mention that I fed him a half can of FF after testing... I probably should have waited on that. :banghead:

I only started home testing less than a month ago, so my spreadsheet doesn't have too much info (and Rocket can be a little hard to handle sometimes). But his numbers were so high last few weeks, seeing blue is a shock. And, I've never had a low number pre-shot, so I just want to make sure I do the right thing.

Oh, I should mention he probably got a fur shot night before last, so that may have affected yesterdays numbers. First-time fur shot since February. Anyway thanks for any advice you might have!!!

2. Karen&Rocket

Karen&Rocket Member

Never mind; he's up to his old tricks. 461 at pre-shot time. :( Should I assume the low reading was wrong?

3. Veronica & Babu-chiri

Veronica & Babu-chiri Well-Known Member

Is hard to say since you actually fed him after the 144 result, the next test could have been influenced by the food, even though the difference is quite big so it could also be that the first one was a bad reading, in those cases is better if at all posible to retest at that moment just to be sure, and if you are going to stall or test again in a while before shooting to hold the food to be sure that the reading you get is not food influenced

4. Karen&Rocket

Karen&Rocket Member

Thank you. This has just been so confusing; the more I learn, the more questions I have. I'm going to try to get a few more tests in today, and continue over the next few days (at least getting pre-shots and a mid-day or two). My biggest fear (and hope?) is that his dose may be too high since his dental. By the way, congrats on Babu-Chiri being OTJ!!! ^.^

5. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

Ask all of the questions that you want or need to. We are here to help you learn everything you want to know. :D

CandyH & Catcat and Karen&Rocket like this.
  6. Tomlin

Tomlin Well-Known Member

I'm pretty new also. When I got my first BG that looked suspicious, I grabbed another strip & tested again immediately. Hopefully your beautiful man will allow you to do it a second time :)! Last night I had a suspicious # & did the same thing. First time it happened it was off & the second time it was right. I figure better to check again & be sure.

Karen&Rocket likes this.
  7. Veronica & Babu-chiri

Veronica & Babu-chiri Well-Known Member

Thanks and ask all you want or need don't worry about that, that's how we are all learning

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.