Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LamontsMom

LamontsMom Member

Hi Everybody,

I'm relatively new here. To sum up: My 15 yr old cat Lamont was diagnosed with diabetes nearly 3 weeks ago. Five days later, after 4 days on a wet high protein/low carb diet solely (after eating dry and dry treats his whole life) his diagnosis changed to subclinical diabetes. So far, he hasn't started insulin.

The new vet I'm with will be giving him another fructosamine test in a week to see if his numbers are still subclinical. If so, he'll just be on a wet diet.

In general, his health has been A LOT better. He's running (which hasn't done in a long time), more alert, playing, nearly all the urine tests I've done have been normal. Because, with one exception a week ago, his behavior's gone back to normal (no more excessive thirst, no more excessive urinating), I haven't yet done a blood glucose. I plan on doing it depending on his new fructosamine.

BUT...there's one thing: His hair hasn't grown back. He started getting thinning hair along his back and around both of his shoulders about 10 days before I initially brought him in (so around mid-November.) It's not bald. Just thinning. You can see the skin under it. Like a really bad combover. Or like all his undercoat is gone (which it might be). And it's a concern.

He doesn't scratch (that I've noticed and I'm home all day), started grooming again about 3 days ago but not excessively. Most of his dandruff is gone (thank you wet diet!) But the hair hasn't grown back.

I mentioned it the vet when we talked a week ago and he said some cats take a REALLY long time to grow hair back. He doesn't have hypothyroidism and his skin isn't flaky or irritated.

Wondering if any of you have had experience with this and if omega-3 pills helped? I'm planning on discussing it with the vet when we're there for the fructosamine next week. But wanted to hear from you guys.

As per usual, THANK YOU in advance for just being awesome!

2. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Omega-3 won't hurt; do discuss with your vet.

LamontsMom likes this.
  3. LamontsMom

LamontsMom Member

Thanks!

4. Mogmom and Goofus

Mogmom and Goofus Well-Known Member

When my mother in law's dog was spayed, it was about 8 months before the hair came back. As a hairdresser of 30 years, I can tell you that hair growth, whether human or animal, is a peculiar thing.

LamontsMom likes this.
  5. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Hi Lamont's Mom,

I am watching this topic with great interest because my Saoirse has been having problems with hair regrowth since she was taken off insulin. Numerically she went into remission after 6 months of insulin therapy (Caninsulin, then Lantus). This time last year my girl's coat and body condition were outstandingly good, she looked years younger than her 14 trips round the Sun, and she was very active (even wanting to climb trees!). However, it was not to last. Saoirse still showed signs of metabolic syndrome (pre-diabetes) and I never felt that her remission was as solid as it should be; her BG tended to sit a little too high in the euglycaemic range. Indeed, I wanted to start her back on microdoses of Lantus for maintenance as early as February 2015 but I could not get support (and therefore an Rx) for this from the vets involved in her treatment.

For information, Saoirse has chronic pancreatitis (Dx June 2014), early stage II kidney insufficiency, some liver abnormalities, and since coming off insulin she is biochemically mildly hypothyroid (Dx March 2015 - vets consider this is due to problems with her pancreas, not the thyroid itself).

When Saoirse was first diagnosed her fur was badly rusted (reddish brown instead of brownish black). The rusting started to reappear after only 2 months without insulin - demonstrable proof that her body was again failing to utilise nutrients properly. She went for several scans in late March and after a couple of months it became clear that she had post-shaving alopecia (slow regrowth in some places; zero regrowth in others). With the CKD in play, Saoirse still pees more than a normal, healthy cat would. I saw recommendations there* on Tanya's Site about supplementing with B-complex vitamins because, being water-soluble, cats with polyuria may become deficient in them. (Polyuria can be symptomatic of a number of conditions not limited to diabetes or CKD.) Also, diabetic cats can often become deficient in B12.

Saoirse's fur started growing back pretty much straight away after commencement of the B-complex supplement. I also introduced an omega 3 supplement shortly after. I've just checked back over her notes and the omega 3 seemed to help accelerate the fur regrowth. Maybe you could ask your vet about whether these things might help Lamont?

FWIW, when your vets do the fructosamine test, I'd suggest asking them to check B12 and folate levels. Also given Lamont's age, if your vet hasn't already done so I'd suggest getting a full blood work-up (CBC, full haematology panel). It would be good to have the results as a baseline for Lamont, and could help you and your vet to spot early warnings of things that need attention.

I'd very much like to hear how Lamont gets on. Saoirse's pancreatitis problems worsened steadily through the year, she started shedding again (naturally she's not a 'sheddy' cat) and her coat got very thin in places. Thankfully she's now back on Lantus but it's too early to tell what effect the insulin therapy will have on her hair coat. That said, she was shaved for a blood test at the beginning of November. I've just checked under her chin, and the fur is regrowing fine.

Sorry for rambling so. I have cognitive problems which make it impossible for me express myself clearly and concisely. I hope some of our experience may give you some lines of enquiry to follow. I also hope that you'll share Lamont's progress with us. :)

Mogs

* EDITED TO CORRECT (see above):

Recommendations on B-complex and Omega 3 supplements were found at Tanya's Site (a highly-respected, very well-researched resource for all things Feline CKD.)

Last edited: Dec 22, 2015
    LamontsMom likes this.
  6. LamontsMom

LamontsMom Member

Thank you so much Critter Mom and Mogs! Mogs, first I'm so sorry for all the issues you're going through with Saoirse and can relate. Lamont had a little rusting on one of his paws. I never mentioned it because I didn't know it was a "thing" and thought, ok, maybe this is part of aging. PS--you didn't sound as if you were rambling, btw. You gave a lot of very useful information and it's appreciated!

Lamont has had a complete CDC done. But I absolutely will ask if they can also check the B12 and folate levels. I'll tell the vet about your experiences. Lamont does not have pancreatitis (as far as I know) and, apparently, doesn't have early stage kidney insufficiency (the first vet said he did but vet #2 said there was less than 1% insufficiency--nothing to be concerned about now.) That said, while the ingredients aren't great, I am feeding him a mixture of Purina DM canned (because of the relatively high protein, low carbs AND low phosphorus), Wellness Complete Chicken (mid-high protein, low carbs low phosphorus) and FancyFeast Classics Chicken Feast (high protein, low carbs and mid-level phosphorus.) I'd switch him to FancyFeast and Wellness completely but I'm concerned about the phosphorus.

I understand your frustration about giving Saoirse mico-doses of insulin but also understand how tricky something like that can be. I'd be scared to do that for Lamont because of the chance of entering hypo.

Question Mogs: Did Saoirse's rusting stop after the B-Complex and Omega 3?

Thanks again for all of this info!

7. Critter Mom

The rusting can be caused by nutrient deficiency, L-tyrosine in particular. But loss of pigmentation can also be caused by CKD issues. For example, read Astro's story here. Incidentally, I only mentioned CKD because of Lamont's age, so that you'd have an awareness that it can cause depigmentation. For myself, I prefer to learn as much as I can about potential problems so that, if necessary, they can be addressed quickly. I hope you found the information helpful, not scary! :) Anyway, because diabetes can make a cat more vulnerable to other health problems I think getting labs done fairly regularly is invaluable because it allows for early intervention should anything else crop up.

I've updated my previous post to include a link to Tanya's site; it's the go-to resource for CKD issues. Re the blood tests, sometimes dehydration can affect values and that might be a possible reason why the two different vets gave different interpretations of the results. Usually, a significant percentage loss of kidney function needs to be present before it really shows up in labwork. Tanya's Site gives information on what parameters may be affected if CKD is present and gives you an idea of what several of the numbers mean. It's good that you're watching Lamont's phosphorus intake regardless; it's always wise, particularly with more mature kitties.

It's hard to tell because her fur regrowth has not been normal for most of the year. The regrowth after the introduction of the supplements is a shade darker but there is not the marked difference in contrast between old and new fur that I saw when Saoirse started her insulin therapy last year. In the latter case, her new regrowth was very markedly darker than the old fur. My overall feeling is that the post-supplement regrowth wasn't as dark as it should be but there was some improvement. FWIW, there is a small patch of fur on Saoirse's front paws that is definitely a light-brownish colour. I am monitoring the regrowth under her chin to see if the reintroduction of insulin makes a major difference to pigmentation. At the end of the day, the supplements helped her fur to regrow; better slightly rusty than bald, but still a concern.

Mogs

LamontsMom likes this.
  8. LamontsMom

LamontsMom Member

Thank you SO much for all of this info and I agree: It's *always* better to stay on top of things, particularly with an older cat that has issues. Lamont's rusting is a small patch near his paw (on white fur), btw. All the new growth (that I can see) is not rusted. Hopefully, a good sign.

I definitely will check out Tanya's site and completely agree about getting regular labs done. MINOR UPDATE: Just started reading through Tanya's site and it's GREAT! I do agree with what you said about the dehydration. When I initially brought Lamont to vet#1 (on Nov. 25th), he was VERY dehydrated (tons of dandruff, dry nose, etc.) Vet#1 said he had the very initial stages of CKD. When Vet#2 analyzed the results, he felt the numbers were so small (and now I'm guessing, adding dehydration into the mix), he felt it wasn't a problem. That said, yes, I'm glad I'm monitoring his phosphorus. I think it's important.

Luckily, my new vet only deals with cats and has a lot of experience with diabetic cats--his own cat was diabetic and went into remission and lived a long time--so I feel (hope anyway) that we're in good hands. But truthfully, all the info the cat mommies on this board have given has been invaluable. I know what questions to ask.

Lamont's follow-up is on my Monday. I'll be sure to read everything on Tanya's site and come armed with some written questions for the vet. Keep your fingers crossed for us!

9. Critter Mom

Tanya's Site is a goldmine of cat health information. I'm glad you're finding it useful.

It's great that Lamont has a cat-only vet and also that he has a sugar cat himself (so does our main vet). It really makes a difference.

Please be sure to post an update about how Lamont gets on. Crossing fingers and paws in the Shire, and wishing you both a good Christmas.

Mogs

LamontsMom likes this.
  10. LamontsMom

LamontsMom Member

Thank you so much, Mogs! And same to you and Saoirse!!

11. LamontsMom

LamontsMom Member

Hi Everybody,

Update: Got the fructosamine results back and Lamont is normal. 390. Which is a huge relief!! We go back in 6 months for a follow-up. I did buy the Omega-3 and plan on giving it to him when they arrive to deal with the hair loss. Also planning on ultimately switching him over to Wellness Turkey & Duck and Tiki Puka Puka Chicken as a topper. He's not crazy about shredded food so it'll take a while but we'll get there. Also, the vet confirmed that the *probable* reason for the glucose spike with the Laxatone chew I fed him 2 weeks ago (he had thrown up a little--seemed like was trying to regurgitate a hair ball so I gave him a chew. Turns out they're mostly glucose and carbs. Once they were eliminated his urine tested negative or completely normal.

Now some bad news: Last March I found a very very very hard lump on Lamont's side near his hind quarters. It didn't grow, a friend who's had tons of cats felt it and said it didn't feel like any type of normal lump she's felt. I brought him to a vet (not the one I'm seeing now) who said it was just part of his leg and there was another one on the other side. When I got home, I absolutely didn't feel one on the other side but let it go.

Yesterday, when the vet was examining him, he felt the lump and said he thought it was "very unusual" and felt it "probably was a malignancy." He said that because of Lamont's age and if it is a malignancy, even with surgery/treatment it wouldn't buy him much time. Luckily, since it's barely grown in 9 months, it's slow growing (it if is a malignancy.) So vs taking him in for endless tests, a biopsy, surgery, chemo/steroids, I've decided to hope for the best and let him live out his life comfortably and loved. He's been running and playing lately and seems, mostly, in good shape. Which is encouraging. So I'm hoping I still have time with him. And I'm grateful that because of his diet, at least he'll spend the rest of his life without being poked and prodded.

Finally, is anyone interested in buying my glucose meter? I bought two and in the event his hyperglycemia returns, I think I have it covered. The one I'm selling is a Relion Confirm, 100 26 gauge lancets and 50 Confirm test strips. I paid $40 including shipping. They're yours for $20 plus US postage. In box me if you're interested.

Thank you AGAIN so much to everyone on this board. You literally helped save my cat's life and bring him into remission with your gracious and incredible tips and support! I wish every one of you and your sugar babies a wonderful and healthy New Yar!

12. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Did you vet suggest a fine-needle asperationfor the lump? He just sticks a needled syringe in the lump a few times and and then looks at what comes out under a microscope? I have had that done a many of my cats.
    Fine Needle Aspiration Procedure: What to Expect - WebMD
    www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/fine-needle-aspiration
    WebMD
    Fine needle aspiration is a type of biopsy procedure. In fine needle aspiration, a thinneedle is inserted into an area of abnormal-appearing tissue or body fluid. As with other types of biopsies, the sample collected during fine needle aspiration can help make a diagnosis or rule out conditions such as cancer.

13. LamontsMom

LamontsMom Member

No. I suspect because the lump is so hard. It feels like a bone, it doesn't move at all. In fact, my friend who felt it thought it was a bone. As did the first vet. A neighbor has a cat who has a lump like it and he's been fine for 3 years (so far). The vet did say whenever I'm ready, or if I want to go down that road, we first start with xrays. Lamont's been through so much in the past month, as a 15 yr old cat, I just don't have the heart to subject him to anything like that. I'm fine not knowing....At least for now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.